2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 49 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #481 of 1896 Old 04-30-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

So we decided to go out after doing the tolieit pump. We are slowly sailing to Aberdeen Creek on the South River one of our favorite places. May hit a little rain tonight but that's where Donna full enclosure makes it high and dry for us.

A day anchored , away from the dock lines is a day of relaxation and therapy and a day with my best friend my wife

Fresh swordfish on the grill planned for dinner.
brokesailor and bigdogandy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1896 Old 05-01-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

A lot of animosity between power boaters trailing lines and sail boaters. Insults were flying on the VHF! One lady on a sailboat even told a commercial fisherman he needed to review the nav rules because she had the right of way (she was motor sailing).
Something new I've never seen. A lot of fishing boats are trailing these two orange devices behind their boats at about a 45 degree angle. What is that? You can't see them until you are almost on top of them.
post #483 of 1896 Old 05-01-2016

From what I've been able to determine, a motor-sailing vessel is the same as any powered vessel without sail assist when it comes to rules of the road.

As for the bright orange gadgets behind the trollers, they are known as outriders or planer boards, which positions the lures away from each other so they don't become tangled together. They are often used with big spoons and surgical hose eels, which tend to have a wide, sweeping action when trolled.

Gary
brokesailor and oysterman23 like this.

post #484 of 1896 Old 05-01-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
A lot of animosity between power boaters trailing lines and sail boaters. Insults were flying on the VHF! One lady on a sailboat even told a commercial fisherman he needed to review the nav rules because she had the right of way (she was motor sailing).
Something new I've never seen. A lot of fishing boats are trailing these two orange devices behind their boats at about a 45 degree angle. What is that? You can't see them until you are almost on top of them.

Planer boards. We've seen an uptick of these in our area. We try and avoid boats trailing these

I have many boating friends both power and sail. Stupidity to rules and common sense is not just in the power boaters domain. We've seen many sail boaters who could make the stupid tricks show or lack courtesy.

Here's on recent example. Ever sail along with a group of racing sailboats who overtake you. Many seem to forget the rules of the water and feel that all boats including sailboats should yell at you to just get out of their way....or fails to yield way when they should . They always feel they have the right of way.

I enjoy boaters who love the water no mater power or sail. I'd rather not generalize or create animosities just because of whether a boats has a sail or not
oysterman23 and seabeau like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #485 of 1896 Old 05-02-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

That's odd, I thought planar boards or outriders had been in use on the bay for a long time. I've only been sailing since '09 but I've always seen them. I also see them advertised for sale on Craigslist all the time in the "boats- parts" section.

They're really only a problem when the owners don't paint them a bright color and tow them too fast to the point where they're submerged. Many fishermen paint them a bright orange or even better, put those little orange bicycle flags on them so that they can be seen above the water.

In other news, the Tartan 33 demo went well so I bought the boat.
I'm happy but now I have a crap load of boat work on my plate and 29 days to get it done so that I can launch before incurring another month's yard storage bill.

To top it off, the damned folding prop broke during the transmission test. Crevice corrosion. Luckily a friend found a cheap replacement for me.
Donna_F, T37Chef and oldlaxer1 like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #486 of 1896 Old 05-02-2016

Decided to do the A2B on Atlantis and accelerate the sale of The Office.

Got lots of work to do to get the boat ready in 5 weeks!

They say the 2 happiest days of a boat owner's life are they days the buy and sell. Not the case for me. I accomplished too much on The Office to rejoice- A2B 2014, A2N 2015 with a trophy, countless day sails and cruises, short handed racing, and lots of friends here and on the water.

Joel
chef2sail and Ajax_MD like this.

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
post #487 of 1896 Old 05-02-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Agreed. Selling is bittersweet.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #488 of 1896 Old 05-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Are you sure it was a "commercial" fisherman? Those guys that take people out for charter are NOT commercial fisherman and the ya-hoos that scream at you to get out of the way when they're towing a planer board are just plain wrong. (Not that you can't be nice and try to avoid them if at all possible)

And if someone tries to pull that "fishing" stuff on you and claim right of way, just ask them if they were displaying the shape or light for a vessel fishing. With a smile on your face of course!

All that aside, I'm looking forward to FINALLY getting out on the water. It's been a long winter redoing my electrical panel and getting the boat launched. Pics to follow.

Joel, are you really going to try to prep the boat for A2B this close? Wow. Good luck. They were trying to talk me into doing A2B double handed but I had already committed to crewing for N2B, which is a little easier on my wallet!
post #489 of 1896 Old 05-03-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

Sailordave: I did not mean to imply he had right of way, just that he has a lot more time on the water. It was a crab pot boater working his pots. The polite thing to do is go around.
sailordave and T37Chef like this.
post #490 of 1896 Old 05-03-2016

Quote:
From what I've been able to determine, a motor-sailing vessel is the same as any powered vessel without sail assist when it comes to rules of the road.
You're exactly right:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule18

Quote:
RULE 18
RESPONSIBILITIES BETWEEN VESSELS

Except where Rules 9, 10, and 13 otherwise require:

(a)���� A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
## ## a vessel not under command;
## a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver;
## a vessel engaged in fishing;
## a sailing vessel.

They also helpfully define exactly what sailing vessel means in this context:
http://http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?p...def3c_sail_vsl, or
Quote:
Rule 3 - Definitions

c.The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided that propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in