2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 50 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #491 of 1896 Old 05-05-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

WTF is up withbthis weather... Im so over it
punahougirl84 likes this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 1896 Old 05-05-2016

I had to turn the heat pump on while working inside the boat today - just 51 degrees inside the cabin - too cold for this old man. And, sailing was out of the question when it began raining. Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Gary
brokesailor likes this.
post #493 of 1896 Old 05-05-2016

I was wishing I had launched in March, but now not so regretful that Take Five is still on the hard. I just got back from Europe, having decided it would be too risky to go into a temporary slip during a time that nobody would be around to check on the boat.

If it will dry out for a few days, I'll proceed with re-potting around and re-bedding under my chainplates. Meanwhile, everything is covered up with a solar-powered fan drying everything out.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #494 of 1896 Old 05-05-2016

I think the weekend is looking good? I suppose we shouldn't hold our collective breaths...

I made it to Annapolis before 10 am and met with the woman who will be painting our boat's new name and city/state on the transom boards. We worked on a hybrid font - I love how it turned out.

I then picked up my 5 new halyards and my new mainsheet from West Marine - shiny! I got them to the boat (though couldn't rig them - the boat looks like it exploded from all the work going on!), got an update on the progress of repairs/updates/replacements, got a sandwich, went to the contractor's office to sort a box of stuff they pulled from the boat, to evaluate the battery box status, to see how well they cleaned off the old name/city/state off the transom boards, to see they had to re-order the engine exhaust elbow (number on the old one is not the number for the new one!), and to pick new water bladders.

Then back to the boat, then to Fawcett's to take additional advantage of my commissioning discount (and got teased for not even spending half a boat buck LOL). Then back to the boat where I dropped stuff off and helped move the new water heater into position. Then on closing the boat a hinge on the cockpit hatch board broke so that's one more thing added to our contractor's list...

I don't even have the energy to go sailing!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #495 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
WTF is up withbthis weather... Im so over it
Ditto. It's slowing everything down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
I think the weekend is looking good? I suppose we shouldn't hold our collective breaths...

(snip)

I don't even have the energy to go sailing!
I spent my first day crawling through the T-33 humming "Getting to know you..."

The electrical system was a well-hidden hack job and the cockpit drain hoses would sink the boat if I launched right now. The stereo has some kind of major malfunction where it sucks a battery dry in less than a week via the "clock" power lead, which was directly wired to Battery #1.

I've written down my plan of attack and we commence battle at dawn, on Sunday.
oysterman23 likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #496 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

On my way up the Bay from Little Creek. Cold. Wet. North winds. *sigh* Should be in Annapolis dawn(ish) tomorrow.
T37Chef and travlineasy like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #497 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
On my way up the Bay from Little Creek. Cold. Wet. North winds. *sigh* Should be in Annapolis dawn(ish) tomorrow.
Rotten day to be on the water...Stay warm and dry!

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #498 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016

Tomorrow looks like a much nicer day to be on the bay with west winds at 10mph. Just saying.
post #499 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Tomorrow looks like a much nicer day to be on the bay with west winds at 10mph. Just saying.
Tomorrow is the WRSC Shorthand race, which I will be participating in.

I've barely sailed this year, so I'm sure I'll stink out loud.
Pouring down rain today, is not helping me prep the boat for tomorrow.
Thank God the winds will be light so that I can control things when I set the spinnaker.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #500 of 1896 Old 05-06-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Looking forward to another weekend out. Winds look light tomorrow with a front coming through Sunday AM turning everything from the north. Maybe a Chester weekend. only 22 miles from our new home.

Replaced the primary bilge pump and float switch (ultra mini) recommended by Mainesail. Quite a robust switch and I like its design much better than the Rule/ West Marine switches. Cost was normally $149 but got it for $119. Looks like it will last more than the three years I was comfortable getting on the old type switch.

Also replaced the pump assembly on our toilet before we left for home last weekend.

Diver reported than we can get a third season on our Ultima 60 bottom paint saving us a boat buck. He said had I remained in Rock Creek he wouldn't do our boat there anymore.

I evidently was the last person he had been doing in Rock Creek. Said the water quality of the creek got his friend sick last year diving on boats there. The city/ state needs to fix the reoccurring issue there of pollution there. There are great projects started by the Rock Creek Association who I helped when I was the MYC Commodore with their oyster bed breeding area which the Club sponsored for years. People need to write letters to get this issue resolved permanently.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in