1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #511 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Rounding Love Point interesting..??
The roughest part of the sail was the tack to Casle Harbor Marina. Could not make Love point direct so we tacked all the way up behind the G1 at the end Swan Creek Bar to get a good angle on the wind and chop to get through the Bay Bridge. That gave us the beam reach as the wind was NW at the time.

We were lucky the current was going out at that time, though it opposed the wind creating some serious chop at the mouth of the Chester.

It was a fun sail. Didn't see any planer boards or Powerboats today. Plenty of sailboats though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Happy Anniversary Dave! I sailed with one reef in the main. Coming out of the Choptank on a close reach then once out a broad reach. Reaching 9 kts at times. Raised the mizzen to try and squeeze another knot but the boat was out of contro trying to round up, too much sail aft of CE. Lowered the mizzen and everything was back under control. Sailed into the Potomac, close hauling. Anchored in the Coan River. Could not sail to the Maryland shore.
Wow you crossed the Potomac close hauled in that wind...impressive

Never been to the Conan. Describe it?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #513 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

Coan River: wide ass open. You can have a raft up with about 1000 boats. Low tree lines. Some houses on shore. Only reason I came here is I couldn't make Smith Creek under sail. What a great day!

post #514 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

No sailing here.

this was my day today.

Fiberglass/Resin work isn't all that fun.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eIjN-Bf8a...0/IMAG1368.jpg
oysterman23 and punahougirl84 like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #515 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016

It's a neat river, fished just outside it many times, lots of croaker along the channel edge. The channel into the river is a bit tight, but once inside, it widens out pretty good and it's a nice anchorage. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9820.../data=!3m1!1e3

Gary
post #516 of 1896 Old 05-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The temperature is still lower than my age - too damned cold for me to enjoy sailing.

Gary
It's just perfect for me
post #517 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

With some assistance and the loan of some tools, I've accomplished a ridiculous amount of work on the new Tartan in only two days.

I'm looking to remove the rudder tomorrow and have Maritime Plastics turn me out a set of rudder bearings. I'll try to lay on the new anti-foul while that's happening.

A friend gave me a miracle polish (not Poli-Glow) that decimated the oxidation on the boat's topsides. We're going to each attack the topsides with 10 inch buffers with this stuff to get the green color back to beautiful, then hit it again with wax to preserve it.

I'll test fit the bearings on the rudder post, then test fit them into the boat's collars and if everything's correct, I'll epoxy them in place.

Then, Launching Day.

I expect to be in the water anywhere between next Tuesday and next Friday.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #518 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
With some assistance and the loan of some tools, I've accomplished a ridiculous amount of work on the new Tartan in only two days.

I'm looking to remove the rudder tomorrow and have Maritime Plastics turn me out a set of rudder bearings. I'll try to lay on the new anti-foul while that's happening.

A friend gave me a miracle polish (not Poli-Glow) that decimated the oxidation on the boat's topsides. We're going to each attack the topsides with 10 inch buffers with this stuff to get the green color back to beautiful, then hit it again with wax to preserve it.

I'll test fit the bearings on the rudder post, then test fit them into the boat's collars and if everything's correct, I'll epoxy them in place.

Then, Launching Day.

I expect to be in the water anywhere between next Tuesday and next Friday.
We're coming to visit and check her out once launched!
John & Phyllis

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #519 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

So we finally got launched a week ago Saturday and it pretty much hasn't stopped raining since! We moved from Old Bay to the Anchorage Marina on Saturday under ominous skies but no rain. (and little wind). Sunday, while clear, was just blowing up a stink so we chose to celebrate mothers day on land. (Cutting grass and other honey do stuff)
At some point the sun will shine again...
The only painting work I have left is the non-skid. I just need a window of dry weather to tape and paint. Forecast isn't promising for the rest of the week. Oh well, she still looks pretty good as is.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #520 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I'm sorry for you, but the rain is my consolation that I'm not wasting many sailing days while I bust my a$$ on this Tartan.

I'm praying I get 'er home by the end of the month so that I can enjoy the rest of the season.
I don't really care if I get to sail far, as long as I get in plenty of day sails and short range overnights while I bring the boat back to fighting trim.
oysterman23 likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in