2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 53 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #521 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Jon and I got the spinnaker halyards, main halyard, and new mainsheet run on Monday. In the rain. We got the updated punch list from the contractor regarding progress on a bunch of stuff: water heater, cockpit sole, engine room/plumbing/wiring, lazarettes, bilge pump, manual bilge pump, inverter/charter, batteries, raw water intake, exhaust elbow and hose, fuel tank, LPG, bladder tanks, forward head, deck hatches, companionway hatch, steering cable, anchor, transom panels, chainplates, halyards (they are going to run the starboard jib halyard since that's the messenger line we screwed up), check running backs, new tricolor, install steaming light, new lifelines are in, stanchions to be tightened... and they started to install the mast boot that I thought I was going to do - but with all the rain, they probably couldn't wait for me.

I still have to run the port jib halyard (connected to the roller furling jib at the moment). The artist (Cindy Fletcher-Holden) will be painting our transom panels with Kaimana's name and city/state later this week. Engine work could start tomorrow. Chesapeake Sailmakers picked up our main and we should have it back Saturday morning.

We have a couple friends who can come crew for us this weekend, assuming everything gets done in time.

Will this be the weekend we get to finally sail our boat to our new home port? Will the weather give us a break? Will we figure out the dance of the cars? Will I sadly leave the kids home for this first big trip? Will the BlueChart G2 Vision card arrive in time or will the GPS insist on taking us overland again? Will the mud subside in the Bay? Will I get more lines ordered in time?

AAAH!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

punahougirl84 likes this.
post #523 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Jon and I got the spinnaker halyards, main halyard, and new mainsheet run on Monday. In the rain. We got the updated punch list from the contractor regarding progress on a bunch of stuff: water heater, cockpit sole, engine room/plumbing/wiring, lazarettes, bilge pump, manual bilge pump, inverter/charter, batteries, raw water intake, exhaust elbow and hose, fuel tank, LPG, bladder tanks, forward head, deck hatches, companionway hatch, steering cable, anchor, transom panels, chainplates, halyards (they are going to run the starboard jib halyard since that's the messenger line we screwed up), check running backs, new tricolor, install steaming light, new lifelines are in, stanchions to be tightened... and they started to install the mast boot that I thought I was going to do - but with all the rain, they probably couldn't wait for me.

I still have to run the port jib halyard (connected to the roller furling jib at the moment). The artist (Cindy Fletcher-Holden) will be painting our transom panels with Kaimana's name and city/state later this week. Engine work could start tomorrow. Chesapeake Sailmakers picked up our main and we should have it back Saturday morning.

We have a couple friends who can come crew for us this weekend, assuming everything gets done in time.

Will this be the weekend we get to finally sail our boat to our new home port? Will the weather give us a break? Will we figure out the dance of the cars? Will I sadly leave the kids home for this first big trip? Will the BlueChart G2 Vision card arrive in time or will the GPS insist on taking us overland again? Will the mud subside in the Bay? Will I get more lines ordered in time?

AAAH!
Sounds like it's coming together. If you do get out Saturday or Sunday lets us know as Haleakula will be out........somewhere😊😊😊😊😊😊
punahougirl84 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #524 of 1896 Old 05-10-2016

Take Five is still on the hard. My core repairs around the chainplates are almost complete. Tidal and travel schedules will delay splash until just before Memorial Day weekend.

When I booked our Rock Hall sailing charter for May 16-23, I never thought that it would be our first sail of the season. Long term forecast is clouds/some rain, highs in 60s, and 7-8 mph all week. Yuck! Let's hope the weather starts to look a little better as the dates draw near.

Our friends who live aboard in Galesville during Apr-May, whom we were going to raft up with, have given up on the spring weather and moved back to Maine for the summer. They're a little frustrated with the weather.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-10-2016 at 11:08 PM.
post #525 of 1896 Old 05-11-2016

I don't get it. We've been out almost every weekend since mid March . While it has been cold and dreary a few of them, there has been some good sailing weather when the forecast wasn't great. We've only had a few days of downpours but mostly just showers. I see the racers from the Severn out every weekend rain or shine the last 6 weeks. I am surprised at all the whining and complaining about weather.

People who sail on the Pacific Northwest face these conditions on a continual basis and still get out, they just dress accordingly. They adapt

Just be positive and get out anyway. Follow Jorge (Scalliwags ) lead and go out dispite the lack of sun and fair weather.

Rick, you guys will still have fun on your charter despite the weather. Your still on the water together..... And not at work

A dreary day on the water beats a day at work anyday

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #526 of 1896 Old 05-11-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

Seems like all those winds 5 kts turn into some decent wind on that day. Wind Forecast is very unreliable right now.
post #527 of 1896 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Seems like all those winds 5 kts turn into some decent wind on that day. Wind Forecast is very unreliable right now.
Yeah, I've noticed that too, so I am hopeful. The forecast temps are fine, a little cloud cover can be comfortable, but decent wind would be nice for our charter.

My friends from Maine are hearty sailors, and their Mason has roll-down Eisenglas around the whole cockpit, so they can sail in any temps. They had family commitments that took out the good wind days. They were out on the water the rest of the time, but the days they were out they only had one day with decent wind. Don't forget, the Mason is not a light wind boat.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #528 of 1896 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Exactly what we found. The winds have cime up every afternoon for the most part. I'll take this weather over the 90 degree 120% humidity of July with no wind. That's why we flee to the LI Sound.

The marinas are backed up somewhat every year. Where we keep our boat they have almost all the boats back in the water.

Take your foulies and your sweatshirts. Pack a pair of gloves some extra coffee and hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps of course. Get our their and sail.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #529 of 1896 Old 05-11-2016

Forecast has changed some. Looks like some good wind for the weekend. No excuses on the weather😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
West winds mean you can go anywhere 😄😄😄😄😄😄
10-15 knots means you can sail, if it's gusty that why sails have reef points in them.

Only glitch may be a few storms Saturday night...but you can be anchored somewhere.

Sunday it will be cool at 60 but that beat 95

Have a fun weekend and look for Haleakula to be out enjoying the sailing....have fun....fair seas
brokesailor and punahougirl84 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #530 of 1896 Old 05-12-2016

This weekend there is a paddle boarding race around Sandy Point and across the Bay at the Bay Bridge. Starts Saturday at 9:00.

Stay away!

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in