2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 89 - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #881 of 1896 Old 06-28-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Gonna head out tomorrow morning and sail south for Annapolis and Port Annapolis Marina to meet up with my old friend and fellow sailnetter, Mario G. Some scattered thunderboomers forecast for Friday, but other than that, just the normal 5 to 10 knot winds which are so common this time of year here. A bit better wind forecast in the lower bay south of Point Lookout, but I have some relatives in town, so I have to wait another week before heading that far south.

For those in search of crabs while anchored for the evening, I talked with a couple commercial guys and they tell me there is nothing worth catching above the bay bridges at Sandy Point. When I went south last week, I saw very few crab pots in the entire bay and there were none at Cape Charles other than a single string along a 12-foot drop-off on the eastern shore side of the bay near a small creek.

Oh well, I'll take along some chicken necks - just in case.

All the best,

Gary
Could have fooled me. Entrance to Whitehall Bay looks like God was playing jacks with 150 of them with no apparent method. Looks like a global cluster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #882 of 1896 Old 06-28-2016

Yikes re: Gary and Ajax's experiences. Why must people suck??? Sorry about the inconsiderate crew, and the "jerk" who would damage a boat then totally deny it.

I will say our second trip out on Kaimana was more pleasant in that there were fewer powerboats trying to capsize us, more sailboats waving as our paths crossed, and I did appreciate having the bit of breeze to raise the main. I noted several people peering at us as we returned to MYC - maybe curious about the new boat come to live on Rock Creek?

We plan to be at MYC for the 4th of July - we will enjoy the pool, the potluck, and the fireworks.

I got an invite to go racing tomorrow when someone shared my info through the Rock Creek Racing Association yahoogroup - fingers crossed that it works out. Another chance to meet people and get in some local knowledge!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #883 of 1896 Old 06-28-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

P-Girl,

What happened with that keel bolt leak or whatever it was?

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #884 of 1896 Old 06-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
P-Girl,

What happened with that keel bolt leak or whatever it was?
Thanks for asking! The keel bolts were not leaking after all. I pumped out what was in the bilge, dried it out by hand and noticed there was some residual water in the bilge lining. Once I dried that up, there was no more water. I spent time watching them, and I recorded the function of the bilge pump.

Took my dad down to look the day after he arrived for a visit - we saw two possibilities. There is possibly some fresh water trickling in from the direction of the cockpit - possibly rainwater. There is possibly some water coming from under the galley sink area (though that area under the sink in the cabinet is dry).

We are planning to figure out a potential issue with the pressure system as we deal with the leaky galley faucet and the fact that when I use the faucet in the head, water spritzes out of the fresh water foot pump faucet in the galley.

So no leaks from outside the boat, which is a relief! I have some work being done this week, and hopefully next week, and then hopefully we are done for a while.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 06-28-2016 at 09:24 PM.
post #885 of 1896 Old 06-28-2016

Dave, last time I checked, Whitehall Bay was below the Bay Bridge, and that's where the majority of the crabbers are concentrating their efforts right now. And, 150 pots is a pittance when you consider that every licensed, commercial crabber is permitted to put out 500 pots. When the crabs were running good in the upper bay, getting into and out of the Gunpowder River was like running through a mine field. Pots were spaced about 10 feet apart in every direction for miles. Same used to be true with the mouth of the Choptank River. In my case, with the full keel, I never hook them, even if I sail through a minefield of pots. They just slide down the side of the boat and slip off the end - not a problem. When I had the Catalina, I hooked a crab pot damned near every time I sailed at night - almost like throwing an anchor out.

I stopped in Giant on the way home today, and they had local, backfin, lump crab-meat for $39 a pound and steamed crabs that were barely legal size for $2.50 each - that's nuts! I love crabs, but not that much. When crabs are plentiful, those prices would be about half that much in the grocery stores. Most of the crabbers I talked with in Cape Charles are currently working for the clam and oyster hatcheries to support their families. And, I saw an enormous number of crab pots stacked on the docks at Tangier Island, which is very unusual this time of year. Commercial crabbers won't bait and put out pots unless there's something out there to catch. Last year, we never saw a crab pot above Pooles Island. Gotta tell ya something about what's going on with that fishery.

Gary
post #886 of 1896 Old 06-29-2016
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Thanks for asking! The keel bolts were not leaking after all. I pumped out what was in the bilge, dried it out by hand and noticed there was some residual water in the bilge lining. Once I dried that up, there was no more water. I spent time watching them, and I recorded the function of the bilge pump.

Took my dad down to look the day after he arrived for a visit - we saw two possibilities. There is possibly some fresh water trickling in from the direction of the cockpit - possibly rainwater. There is possibly some water coming from under the galley sink area (though that area under the sink in the cabinet is dry).

We are planning to figure out a potential issue with the pressure system as we deal with the leaky galley faucet and the fact that when I use the faucet in the head, water spritzes out of the fresh water foot pump faucet in the galley.

So no leaks from outside the boat, which is a relief! I have some work being done this week, and hopefully next week, and then hopefully we are done for a while.
I think I figured out where your water came from. You might have the exact same problem I have right now.

Your fresh water from your tank drained into the bilge via your broken foot pump. The same thing happened to me this past weekend. When I removed my foot pump, I discovered that the body had two large splits because it had liquid in it during the winters, which froze and broke the pump open.

You say that water is spritzing out of the pump, so there you go. I'll bet you find blown seals or a broken pump body when you de-install the pump.

My foot pump is located right at a limber hole that drains to the bilge so the flow path was only a few inches before it disappeared and it's in a dark, closed place so very difficult to observe.
punahougirl84 likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
johnny buddha (06-29-2016), punahougirl84 (06-30-2016)
post #887 of 1896 Old 06-29-2016
Chastened

I stayed in Whitehall Bay last weekend. Just north of the 3 VLF towers on the Annapolis base. I only saw a handful of pots.

Gary- How is it that the pots don't snag your rudder?

post #888 of 1896 Old 06-29-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Anyone know of any good metal fabricators around Annapolis?

I've been taking hardware off my mast to do some work, looking at possibly replacing some items which is getting well rusted like my chainplates had when they were replaced.

Yesterday, I removed the shrouds but the compression tube the bolt went through was stuck to the bold and I ended up bending the "tang bearing plate" (new term for me) It's just a small plate that helps keep the compression tube in the mast where the tangs are attached.

These are 2 1/2" x 1 3/16" and 1/16" thick.
small holes the rivets were in are 3/16" and the bolt hole 1/2"
I would need 4 of these to replace what I have.

Also, any place fairly local to Annapolis that might have tangs, triangle plates, masthead toggles, sheeves, etc.?

I've looked around online at hardware and some of this stuff is pretty expensive, (looked at Rigging Only site) but wanted to see what other options there are. This is all for a 35+yr old 35' Forespar mast.

Thanks.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #889 of 1896 Old 06-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Anyone know of any good metal fabricators around Annapolis?

I've been taking hardware off my mast to do some work, looking at possibly replacing some items which is getting well rusted like my chainplates had when they were replaced.

Yesterday, I removed the shrouds but the compression tube the bolt went through was stuck to the bold and I ended up bending the "tang bearing plate" (new term for me) It's just a small plate that helps keep the compression tube in the mast where the tangs are attached.

These are 2 1/2" x 1 3/16" and 1/16" thick.
small holes the rivets were in are 3/16" and the bolt hole 1/2"
I would need 4 of these to replace what I have.

Also, any place fairly local to Annapolis that might have tangs, triangle plates, masthead toggles, sheeves, etc.?

I've looked around online at hardware and some of this stuff is pretty expensive, (looked at Rigging Only site) but wanted to see what other options there are. This is all for a 35+yr old 35' Forespar mast.

Thanks.
Eastport Spar and Rigging in Galesville just south of Annapolis might be able to help.
[email protected]
Eastport Spar & Rigging, LLC | Sailboat rigging, architectural rigging, and custom stainless and aluminum fabrication

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldlaxer1 For This Useful Post:
Ajax_MD (06-29-2016), Rhapsody-NS27 (06-29-2016)
post #890 of 1896 Old 06-29-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Thanks, I have also found Annapolis Rigging, so might give them both a try to see what they say. But with Eastport being in Galesville, that could work since it's closer to where my boat is down in Deale.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Last edited by Rhapsody-NS27; 06-29-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in