SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/237049-2016-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

SVAuspicious 01-01-2016 09:53 AM

2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Another year, another late check in.

Best wishes to all on another New Year and a wonderful season for sailing.

Today is a boat work day for me.

T37Chef 01-03-2016 10:57 AM

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Happy New Year!

Winterized the engine finally :(

Started on New Years Day; Warmed up the engine and then put some Barnacle Buster (https://trac-online.com/product/barn...2%AE-ready-use) in the raw water system and let it sit for 24 hours. Then changed the engine oil (so easy with the Beta, has the pump connected to the drain plug, about 30 pumps and you're finished)and filter.

Yesterday I flushed the raw water system with fresh water than ran the engine antifreeze through. Changed the impeller, engine zinc, and all three fuel filters... which includes the Racor with a 30 Micron, Engine filter with a 10 micron, and Racor P30 Fuel Polisher/back up filter with a 30 Micron. Checked over the engine for leaks, lose fittings/hoses/belts, bolts, engine mounts and alignment (its within .003). The Racor P30 Pump/Filter/Polisher with the way I designed the plumbing allows me to prime the engine and fill the filters with a push of the button. No need to carry diesel in a little can anymore! The P30 also will polish the tank and can be a back up filter if the primary gets clogged. Ahhhh... that Racor P30 was a good find at the boat show, it was only a few dollars more than a regular Racor.

I need to change the transmission fluid too but that is easy peasy, maybe today?

Is it March yet?

Ulladh 01-03-2016 11:12 AM

This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.

jsaronson 01-03-2016 07:36 PM

Got outfor a final or first sail of the season. So cool having the Bay to myself!

Rhapsody-NS27 01-03-2016 09:57 PM

and my refit will continue.

travlin-easy 01-03-2016 11:08 PM

I'll splash about April 15th, restock the bar and pantry, clean the boat top to bottom, inside and out, then put the sails up and sail to Saint Somewhere. I'm now semi retired, I'll sail all summer long, and come home when I feel the urge. I've even contracted someone to mow the lawn. Come October, if my health allows, I'll put up the sails and point the bow south. I hope to spend the winter in Marathon, maybe make a trip to the Dry Tortugas, then sail back home to the bay in April. The last time I did this I came home in March and it was too damned cold.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

TakeFive 01-04-2016 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulladh (Post 3251969)
This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.

I had my boat blocked in a different location too. I was tired of being blocked in by powerboats. I used to think that the ones who haul out in December were so gung-ho about fall/winter fishing that they wanted to get every day of boating that they could. I quickly realized that they were just procrastinators, and come April they don't return phone calls and block everyone in. (Our DIY boatyard refuses to launch unless the owner is personally present.)

They moved me over among the little trailer boats, so that anyone who blocks me in can be easily towed out of the way.

I went down today for a few hours and topped off my batteries before the big freeze hits this week.

I can't wait to get down into the Bay this summer. I'm debating changing my registration from PA to MD, so I can leave the boat down there for an extended period. Even if my home marina stays in PA, they don't check around here, and PA already has their sales tax from me anyway.

Jim_W 01-04-2016 06:23 AM

First Happy New Year!! I am planning on leaving my boat in the slip for the winter. I bought a deicer just incase. I am already winterized and did all new thru hulls, seacocks and the bottom last season. Hopefully with the warm winter I can start sailing again in March. Water temps are still very high for January so hopefully the winter will be short and warmer than the last few. My winter project is all new wiring, I have already replaced all cabin light with LED's and have a new charging system and a dc panel.
Stay Warm
Jim W

brokesailor 01-04-2016 06:39 AM

With the freezing weather around the corner don't forget to remove your speed transducer to remove trapped water then reinsert. You could end up with a cracked housing if you don't.

Ajax_MD 01-04-2016 07:41 AM

I took the inlaws and outlaws out for a New Year's Day sail.
Spiked the hot chocolate with rum and had bagels for breakfast. Eventually we sailed over to a restaurant and had crab soup for lunch.
There was just enough sun and breeze to make it a good time.

My guests are mostly farmers and had never been sailing. They loved it. They really don't get any recreation time during the planting and growing season.
I'm pestering them to figure out how to get a day off in the summer for a day of sailing, anchoring, grilling and swimming.

I've winterized the engine, drained the seacocks and freshwater tank. I do need to pour some pink stuff into the bilge and toilet. I'll do it this afternoon.

I've put many freshly varnished pieces of wood down in the cabin now. It's really starting to look good.
I still have plenty more to do, and to paint the cabin but by spring, it'll look great. Not sure if I'll get the cushions done, but I'll try.