SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/237049-2016-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

SVAuspicious 01-01-2016 09:53 AM

2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Another year, another late check in.

Best wishes to all on another New Year and a wonderful season for sailing.

Today is a boat work day for me.

T37Chef 01-03-2016 10:57 AM

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Happy New Year!

Winterized the engine finally :(

Started on New Years Day; Warmed up the engine and then put some Barnacle Buster (https://trac-online.com/product/barn...2%AE-ready-use) in the raw water system and let it sit for 24 hours. Then changed the engine oil (so easy with the Beta, has the pump connected to the drain plug, about 30 pumps and you're finished)and filter.

Yesterday I flushed the raw water system with fresh water than ran the engine antifreeze through. Changed the impeller, engine zinc, and all three fuel filters... which includes the Racor with a 30 Micron, Engine filter with a 10 micron, and Racor P30 Fuel Polisher/back up filter with a 30 Micron. Checked over the engine for leaks, lose fittings/hoses/belts, bolts, engine mounts and alignment (its within .003). The Racor P30 Pump/Filter/Polisher with the way I designed the plumbing allows me to prime the engine and fill the filters with a push of the button. No need to carry diesel in a little can anymore! The P30 also will polish the tank and can be a back up filter if the primary gets clogged. Ahhhh... that Racor P30 was a good find at the boat show, it was only a few dollars more than a regular Racor.

I need to change the transmission fluid too but that is easy peasy, maybe today?

Is it March yet?

Ulladh 01-03-2016 11:12 AM

This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.

jsaronson 01-03-2016 07:36 PM

Got outfor a final or first sail of the season. So cool having the Bay to myself!

Rhapsody-NS27 01-03-2016 09:57 PM

and my refit will continue.

travlin-easy 01-03-2016 11:08 PM

I'll splash about April 15th, restock the bar and pantry, clean the boat top to bottom, inside and out, then put the sails up and sail to Saint Somewhere. I'm now semi retired, I'll sail all summer long, and come home when I feel the urge. I've even contracted someone to mow the lawn. Come October, if my health allows, I'll put up the sails and point the bow south. I hope to spend the winter in Marathon, maybe make a trip to the Dry Tortugas, then sail back home to the bay in April. The last time I did this I came home in March and it was too damned cold.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

TakeFive 01-04-2016 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulladh (Post 3251969)
This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.

I had my boat blocked in a different location too. I was tired of being blocked in by powerboats. I used to think that the ones who haul out in December were so gung-ho about fall/winter fishing that they wanted to get every day of boating that they could. I quickly realized that they were just procrastinators, and come April they don't return phone calls and block everyone in. (Our DIY boatyard refuses to launch unless the owner is personally present.)

They moved me over among the little trailer boats, so that anyone who blocks me in can be easily towed out of the way.

I went down today for a few hours and topped off my batteries before the big freeze hits this week.

I can't wait to get down into the Bay this summer. I'm debating changing my registration from PA to MD, so I can leave the boat down there for an extended period. Even if my home marina stays in PA, they don't check around here, and PA already has their sales tax from me anyway.

Jim_W 01-04-2016 06:23 AM

First Happy New Year!! I am planning on leaving my boat in the slip for the winter. I bought a deicer just incase. I am already winterized and did all new thru hulls, seacocks and the bottom last season. Hopefully with the warm winter I can start sailing again in March. Water temps are still very high for January so hopefully the winter will be short and warmer than the last few. My winter project is all new wiring, I have already replaced all cabin light with LED's and have a new charging system and a dc panel.
Stay Warm
Jim W

brokesailor 01-04-2016 06:39 AM

With the freezing weather around the corner don't forget to remove your speed transducer to remove trapped water then reinsert. You could end up with a cracked housing if you don't.

Ajax_MD 01-04-2016 07:41 AM

I took the inlaws and outlaws out for a New Year's Day sail.
Spiked the hot chocolate with rum and had bagels for breakfast. Eventually we sailed over to a restaurant and had crab soup for lunch.
There was just enough sun and breeze to make it a good time.

My guests are mostly farmers and had never been sailing. They loved it. They really don't get any recreation time during the planting and growing season.
I'm pestering them to figure out how to get a day off in the summer for a day of sailing, anchoring, grilling and swimming.

I've winterized the engine, drained the seacocks and freshwater tank. I do need to pour some pink stuff into the bilge and toilet. I'll do it this afternoon.

I've put many freshly varnished pieces of wood down in the cabin now. It's really starting to look good.
I still have plenty more to do, and to paint the cabin but by spring, it'll look great. Not sure if I'll get the cushions done, but I'll try.

T37Chef 01-05-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_W (Post 3253737)
My winter project is all new wiring

I wise marine electrician once told me... replacing everything at once is a huge job, rather as you upgrade and replace items, redo the wiring to proper ABYC code. (something like that, you get the idea though)

That assumes you do not have any serious issues to contend with that could cause fire or other.

I took his advice and have been doing the same for 10 years now... still not finished :) The pressure water pump was a good one by the previous owner... it stopped working one day, investigation found three butt connections within 2 feet using various sized wire... UGH! Rewired it to the panel with one continuous wire... what a concept ;)

An immediate upgrade after the initial survey was installing GFCI outlets throughout on the AC side of course, and replacing the wire from the shore power outlet to the circuit panel, which was house type (Romex) wire with marine grade tinned strand wire :) This was discovered not at survey, but a fried inlet fitting and dock cord a few years later! Yikes

Just a thought anyway...

Jim_W 01-05-2016 07:03 PM

My boats is only 25' with nav lights, cabin lights, chart plotter/depth finder. vhf just the basics. I have 1 ac circuit and 6 dc circuits I think I can do the whole job in a weekend. It is all in working order now but the wire is 40 yrs old and I don't know where its been the 37 years before I bought it.

Ajax_MD 01-06-2016 07:46 AM

When I bought my boat, I figured after 40+ years that I'd need to gut the entire system and start over.

After looking things over, I decided against it. The factory original 12v system is still neatly wired, and not spliced or hacked into.
No, the wire isn't tinned but it isn't corroded anywhere either. The insulation is stiff, but not cracked or failing anywhere.
The color coding isn't up to modern ABYC standards, but I believe ABYC makes allowances for older boats. Basically, you just stick with what you have, or you totally upgrade to the modern color code.

The only part of the 12v system that's messed up, is where PO's added extra circuits. They were tied to empty slots on the bus bars which is how the original system remained intact. The additional wires were/are sloppily run, spliced with multiple colors of wire, wire nuts used, that sort of thing. I've been sorting that out as I find it. You just wouldn't believe how the auto bilge pump was wired. I've run out of extra slots on the bus bars so I'm adding another because I don't want to splice or piggy backing circuits.
The OEM 12v fuse/switch panel has run out of slots so I'll be upgrading that to a new, larger Blue Sea Systems panel. Blue Sea is pricey but I like all the little niceties that they come with, like a mounting template and LED back-lit labels.

There was no 120v system, which made things easier. I needed shore power because I was going to be living aboard.
I'm no Maine Sail, but I did my best to comply with ABYC standards and cable everything neatly to avoid strain and chafe. My only regret is that I didn't know about the SmartPlug at the time, so I still have the old 30 amp twist-lock style cord. I went with a Blue Sea AC panel and installed 3 GFCI outlets, each on their own breaker and an onboard Guest 3-bank battery charger.

Later on, I added a 750w standalone inverter. It's not tied to the boat's 120v system, it has its own outlets and a USB port. I stick the iPad/chartplotter to the bulkhead and plug it into the inverter via the USB port. The inverter really only gets used to run small power tools, electronic devices or a shop vac when shore power isn't available. I'm not trying to run a microwave or water heater or anything.

The great thing about LED lighting aside from the extended battery life, is the low load that they put on electrical wiring. That increases the safety factor, IMO.

chef2sail 01-06-2016 12:21 PM

I rewired Haleakula bow to stern 5 years ago after finding lamp cord going up the mast while it was down. Even though I have now owned her 16 years it was surprising how many useless wires the PO had in the spaghetti bundled rats nest behind the panels. I figured why add new to old, when adding new would prevent old from continuing to deteriorate and I wanted to not spend more time on it. Most issues occur at connection points then and not in the wire itself. So if there are issues I know now it won't be old wire some place I can't access. Degradation was amazing after 33 years in some of the inaccessible areas once I pulled the old wire out. And this was a well made boat. To me it made no sense to buy new equipment and attach it to 33 year old wire.

In addition I had added much electronics etc. the old breakers were fine but inadequate and had no easy access behind them. No GFI outlets. I bought a large Blue Sea panel with 18 DC and 6 AC and built them on piano hinges so I could drop them for easy access behind them to work on it if I had to. I methodically did one side of the boat then the other pulling wires through the conduits by attaching to the old wire. It wasn't that difficult or time consuming or complicated. To me I didn't want to do it piece meal as I wanted the confidence in knowing all was new wire. It was suprising to see some of the degradation of wires in unseen places once they were pulled out to the light of day. Also it made no sense to mix old wire with new wire as your ssystem is only as new as your oldest piece of wire.

It wasn't that time consuming to do the rewire. The cost of the new wire was real though and the amount I used was causally phenomenal. Seemed everything was in 35 foot lengths. I bought it at Genuinedealz.com

Yes we have new LED lights a no brainier. Went with the alpenglow main cabin LED to replace the florescent bulbs..

The hardest part was at the panel, bundling wires as well as labeling to make the connections at the panel neat and tidy and easy to work on. However the Blue Sea is perfectly pre wired. I bought a new piece of teak and cut the panel hole and completely replaced that portion of the boat. The teak also is on a piano hinge so it can be lower also. Behind the whole teak panel are all the nmea connections for instruments, chartplotter and radar in one organized area.

The wiring on the boat now is good to go for another 40 years. I have confidence in ALL of the wiring. The AC is up to current snuff with 6 GFI outlets. We also have an independent 2000 inverter for stuff we use at anchor or away from the dock like recharging I pods, TV etc

We have a large battery bank of 6-6 volt (720 ah) lifeline agm with a separate starting battery echo charged to it. A updated 100 amp electro max alternator as well. On our older 33 year C&C 35 this are the newest components of it. The outside is starting to weather and show her age a little. The guts of the boat however are brand new. It also gave me a hands on understanding of all my boats wire.

Electric part of boats today is way more than it used to be for obvious reasons. Having it safe, understandable, and doing it myself for much cheaper then a certified marine tech was a good accomplishment. I never worry about the wiring anymore. Now it's just the components hooked up to it.

On another note. I just replaced our AGM after 9+ years last October. While many think they can be too expensive compared to wet cell, I found that if you maintain them meaning desulfate them on a schedule and have a good smart battery charger they were actually cost effective. We would be even better off had I had a solar panel to constantly recharge, but we don't do the kind of sailing/ passage making to warrant that on this boat. However on my last boat I will set our electrical systems up similarly with passive charging.

Ajax_MD 01-06-2016 12:31 PM

I would have loved to have a single AC/DC panel but they're all way too large or the wrong shape for my available mounting areas.
I could have home-fabricated something out of Lexan but my craftsmanship just isn't that high-grade.

jsaronson 01-06-2016 12:35 PM

Wire was the one area where C&C cut corners. I had trouble with one running light. Turned out there was a 7 volt drop in a 2 foot piece of wire threaded through the bow pulpit to the light.
I still have the original panels, but have replaced the indicator lights on the AC panel and as needed on the DC side. Some day when I get bored I'll clean up the mess behind the panels with terminal blocks and labels. I put in knurled thumb screws in place of the phillips screws to make access easier.

miatapaul 01-06-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 3258361)
I would have loved to have a single AC/DC panel but they're all way too large or the wrong shape for my available mounting areas.
I could have home-fabricated something out of Lexan but my craftsmanship just isn't that high-grade.

I was thinking a single panel would be nice, and all my 12 volt has fuses, but it seems to be working. I had no shore power system at all, I believe the DPO pulled the batteries and charged them at home, he really only did Wednesday races and weekend racing. He did cruse long ago, but for the last many years just racing. All electronics except for the wind instruments were removed. I am going to re do all the "electronics" wiring as it is a mess, but the rest of the boat wiring looks to be fairly un-molesed. I am switching to LED interior lights thinking that will lower the drain on the system.

Shore power system is four circuits, one battery charger and three outlet circuits. One down the port side, one starboard side and one galley. All new. I will start the 12 volt with a "sub panel" for the electronics that are still there and add on what I decide I need. my sailing is going to be instrument free for the most part at least the first year. Mostly grunt work and some epoxy and fiberglass come summer!

T37Chef 01-07-2016 07:24 AM

Roger that ;)

Ajax_MD 01-07-2016 07:31 AM

Yep, my 12v panel is a "fuse" panel like yours.
That's another reason I'm looking forward to getting rid of it. Fuses are a consumable that you have to buy and store...and hopefully haven't run out of. Breakers can be continually reset once you've repaired the problem that is causing them to trip.

I was helping to deliver a Pearson 30 down the bay when we noticed water over the cabin sole (turns out the raw water pump was leaking). I noticed a blown fuse in the bilge pump switch. The owner directed me to a plastic case full of fuses. Every single one of them was already blown. The PO kept them for some reason and we didn't notice that they were all blown. Good thing there was a manual pump built in.

oldlaxer1 01-07-2016 11:02 AM

What bottom paint do you guys recommend for the Chesapeake? I'm currently on the hard at Old Bay marina but home is at the Anchorage in Baltimore. I bought the boat last year and this winter I'm busy scraping and sanding off about 15 layers of bottom paint (that which hasn't already flaked off). Come spring I'm thinking of going with an ablative paint but thought I'd ask your opinions.
I'm only cruising, no racing.
Thanks
John

FSMike 01-07-2016 11:04 AM

Sorry to change the subject, but there's something I don't quite understand.
Why is this type of thread a sticky instead of a plain old garden variety thread?
Thanks

jsaronson 01-07-2016 11:34 AM

I'm happy with Trinidad SR, but it is hideously expensive. Got 2 seasons with an ocsassional dive. It is NOT ablative.

CLOSECALL 01-07-2016 12:19 PM

Micron CSC black. Two seasons with one winter in the water. I'm at Point Lookout.

For what it's worth, the Coast Guard paints there bottoms black.

chef2sail 01-07-2016 12:39 PM

Ultima 60
3 seasons with two dives each summer

Ajax_MD 01-07-2016 01:16 PM

Chef's suggestion about the Ultima bears looking into.
I use CSC Micron Extra in "shark white". I get 3 years, left in the water continuously with occasional wipedowns. The light color lets you see how much fuzz has accumulated.

oldlaxer1 01-07-2016 02:28 PM

Thanks guys. The Ultima 60 looks like a good choice. At about $250.00 a gallon it ought to be huh?

Ajax_MD 01-07-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 3260065)
Sorry to change the subject, but there's something I don't quite understand.
Why is this type of thread a sticky instead of a plain old garden variety thread?
Thanks

Mike, I think they do this every year. It's sort of the "gathering thread" where we all gab about what we're doing or going to do, this season.

travlin-easy 01-07-2016 07:06 PM

I know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna spend much of my remaining life on the water, drink lots of Margarettas, sing to young women, then sail to the Florida Keys and continue doing the same. Now that's a plan. :)

scratchee 01-07-2016 11:29 PM

I went out New Years day for a sail. I thought it would be a neat tradition to start. The weather was beautiful! Unfortunately, I couldn't get my engine started (first time it cost me a day of sailing). The upside is that over the next few days I learned a lot about my engine, checked my points, installed a new set of plugs...and rediscovered the bulb primer that the PO surely showed me, which finally allowed her to start right up. Since I enjoy working on the boat about as much as actually sailing the boat, I have no complaints.

To top it all off, I finally got the anti-freeze in one day when it was 55 degrees, and the next day it was 25 degrees.

Cheers everyone, have a great year.

PalmettoSailor 01-09-2016 09:38 AM

I'm going back to using Hydrocoat. I'm a DIY'er and Hydrocoat is much less onerous to work with than other bottom paint formulations and I have enough personal experience and anecdotal evidence from dock mates to know it works just as well as any ablative product I am aware of (IE the bottom will need attention at least once or twice a season, or you'll be really slow).

Using Hydrocoat, PCA and Ultima SR, I found I typically get 2 - 3 seasons between paintings, hauling out for winters. On my 36 foot boat 2 gallons will do 2 coats with some left over for touch up on the off year.

T37Chef 01-09-2016 10:31 PM

Interlux is discontinuing some of their paints... but I cannot recal which? Pettit Ultima SR60 is good paint but be aware as the label srates, should be applied by professional. You can but stir it often, like really really often... SR40 is a bit easier to work with. Just a note.

T37Chef 01-09-2016 10:36 PM

I was not correct in my statement... Many manufacturers are being affected. Pettit SR 60 and 40 as well as others.

http://www.totalboatshow.com/wordpre...icide-irgarol/

PalmettoSailor 01-10-2016 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 3264465)
I was not correct in my statement... Many manufacturers are being affected. Pettit SR 60 and 40 as well as others.

Antifouling Companies Struggle with the Loss of Herbicide Irgarol | TotalBoat Show

In the past I've used the base paints and the SR versions and honestly didn't see enough difference in performance to feel the cost difference was justified.

As environmental regulations continue to be tightened we soon may not even be able to get a non-SR paint that's effective though.

Jim_W 01-14-2016 06:05 PM

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Md boat registration renewal back its been a month since I mailed mine in??

Rhapsody-NS27 01-14-2016 06:22 PM

While I'm thinking about it...

I'm working on getting my fuel tank out of my boat for replacement. It'll have to be a custom job because it's located in the keel, under the engine.

The boat is in Deale, MD. Is there someone around who could make fuel tanks where I could discuss the replacement configuration?

Thanks,
Dan

T37Chef 01-15-2016 05:57 PM

Well this weekend Windgeist will have a new home. She will depart Maryland Yacht Club and move to her new berth. Found out at least two others from MYC will be slip neighbors at my new home. Good start to 2016!

Cheers.

punahougirl84 01-15-2016 07:39 PM

We may get to have our first "season" on the Chesapeake as we are in the process of purchasing a Beneteau First 38. Survey pending of course. We are lucky in that the owner agreed we could leave her at his private dock until April 1, so we have time to do more research regarding where to keep her (she's temporarily at Whitehall Marina/Scandia - could possibly get work done there - turns out a good sailing friend from my childhood is good friends with the owners so she gave them a good review).

I suspect we'll need to be at a marina with a yard for the first year at least pending some projects that will have to happen (and people haul for winter most of the time, right?). As we live in Columbia, the most convenient/close by/budget-friendly place appears to be White Rocks in Pasadena. A bare bones place but it seems to be a reasonable place to start. There are a few places I haven't checked out yet. Ok, many places! I read how Bowleys is very resonable for a slip, and even includes winter haulout (?) - but I guess that's not normal. Plus they are too far north for us.

Lots to figure out - excited that this might finally be happening!

travlin-easy 01-16-2016 12:43 AM

Dan, if you take your old tank to any reputable welding shop, they should be able to duplicate it with no problem at all.

All the best,

Ajax_MD 01-20-2016 09:00 AM

Well, that didn't take long.

"Real" winter has only been here for about a week and I'm already going stir-crazy.

travlin-easy 01-20-2016 09:39 AM

The creek behind my home is frozen, and I'm running out of booze - gotta go to the store. :)

Gary

oldlaxer1 01-20-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 3284106)

"Real" winter has only been here for about a week and I'm already going stir-crazy.

I get the feeling "Real" winter is coming on Friday and Saturday in the form of 12-20" of white stuff. :crying

rbrasi 01-20-2016 10:05 AM

Well, last fall I was near completion of painting my deck. I did the bright work, painted the deck and applied Kiwigrip to the hatches. All I had left was the deck non-skid areas. A couple good days of work, including putting back the hardware I removed. Then November came and family issues have kept me away from my boat since and there she sits, wearing her canvas, waiting for me to come back and finish. Sailing is so far on the back burner, it's ridiculous. The marina folks were nice enough to check on her recently. Lesson learned: if you don't live in the town where your boat is, be sure that every time you leave her, she is buttoned down good.

Ajax_MD 01-20-2016 11:01 AM

Bleh. Sorry to hear about the family issues. Hope you get it sorted by spring.

Cap'n Russ 01-21-2016 09:28 AM

Suggest you look into Watergate Village Apartments. They own a good chunk of Back Creek shoreline in Eastport and rent out the slips to anyone (i.e. you don't have to live there for your boat to live there) and they are reasonably priced. Well, at least they were last year, we haven't received our 2016 rate yet. Their "marina" consists of a pump out station access to bathrooms/showers, work out room and swimming pool. Jabin's is just across the creek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punahougirl84 (Post 3274633)
We may get to have our first "season" on the Chesapeake as we are in the process of purchasing a Beneteau First 38. Survey pending of course. We are lucky in that the owner agreed we could leave her at his private dock until April 1, so we have time to do more research regarding where to keep her (she's temporarily at Whitehall Marina/Scandia - could possibly get work done there - turns out a good sailing friend from my childhood is good friends with the owners so she gave them a good review).

I suspect we'll need to be at a marina with a yard for the first year at least pending some projects that will have to happen (and people haul for winter most of the time, right?). As we live in Columbia, the most convenient/close by/budget-friendly place appears to be White Rocks in Pasadena. A bare bones place but it seems to be a reasonable place to start. There are a few places I haven't checked out yet. Ok, many places! I read how Bowleys is very resonable for a slip, and even includes winter haulout (?) - but I guess that's not normal. Plus they are too far north for us.

Lots to figure out - excited that this might finally be happening!

Cap'n Russ 01-21-2016 09:29 AM

Took 3 Plebes out on the Bay last Saturday. Started out with 10 knots and finished with 20 and a reef in the main. :)

SVAuspicious 01-21-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap'n Russ (Post 3287178)
Suggest you look into Watergate Village Apartments.

Watergate Village is now Watergate Pointe. The property sold two years ago and the new owners have been making a number of upgrades. I have not walked the docks in a while so can't speak to how things are going.

I kept Auspicious at Watergate for about three years.

You must park on the street (parking lots are reserved for apartment residents). Liveaboards are not permitted although there are a few people who are aboard their boats a lot. *grin* No cable TV. No WiFi although Annapolis Wireless is okay; tech support is only available 9 - 5 weekdays. AT&T and Verizon were both spotty on the boats last I checked although fine up the hill.

The Annapolis City Harbormaster lives at Watergate. He is a great guy in my opinion.

We moved for reasons that had nothing to do with Watergate. I'd go back and recommend it highly to others.

MacBlaze 01-21-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 3284106)

Holy cr*p; I was just thinking winter will be over soon. I'm gonna have to try out the east coast some fall.

:wink

T37Chef 01-21-2016 09:11 PM

So... here we go... blizzard conditions staring tomorrow through Sunday. I'm hearing 50 to 60 knot winds and a 4' tidal flood... which considering the water level has been well below normal, it may not be that high. I will likely add a few more dock lines, that's about all.

Best to everyone, stay warm and more importantly... dry https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

travlin-easy 01-21-2016 09:57 PM

Stay warm, Shawn.

MastUndSchotbruch 01-22-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 3289002)
So... here we go... blizzard conditions staring tomorrow through Sunday. I'm hearing 50 to 60 knot winds and a 4' tidal flood... which considering the water level has been well below normal, it may not be that high. I will likely add a few more dock lines, that's about all.

Best to everyone, stay warm and more importantly... dry https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Holy cr*p! And I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Hm, perhaps it is the right side for me, though not the boat

Donna_F 01-22-2016 07:26 AM

We're having major work done on Halcyon that will hopefully be done by April then we intend to sail as much as possible. One of our goals this season is a full moon sail.

blt2ski 01-22-2016 02:19 PM

I'm glad I am in the NW US. About 40-50 here in Seattle, 6-8' of snow in cascades, at least THIS year, unlike last year. Can sail one day, ski the next. Or sail in the day, an hour later night skiing! or golf in the day, ski at night!

Marty

punahougirl84 01-23-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 3289002)

We have a couple feet + in Columbia and the winds have been crazy.

Let us know how you have been doing - sending warm wishes.

willyd 01-24-2016 12:31 PM

punahougirl84 01-24-2016 04:01 PM

Wow. Seeing snow on boats is SO weird.

How do the non-shrink-wrapped boats do while on the stands in a yard with a couple feet of snow on them?

Ajax_MD 01-24-2016 04:19 PM

A lot of the snow usually slides off. Shrink wrap is slick.

travlin-easy 01-24-2016 04:58 PM

Damned, that's not a nice thing to do to a boat. Boats need love and warmth just like people! ;)

Jim_W 01-24-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punahougirl84 (Post 3294450)

How do the non-shrink-wrapped boats do while on the stands in a yard with a couple feet of snow on them?

Shoveling snow off a boat is even weirder. I just did mine

Donna_F 01-24-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Just take a broom and sweep it off. We stopped shrink wrapping after the first year we owned it.

TakeFive 01-24-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

We have a little toy plastic shovel made by Little Tikes that my son played with 20 years ago (long before we had a sailboat). I never threw it out because I thought it might come in handy someday, and it is a perfect size for cockpit and side decks. A couple years ago we had snow in Oct-Nov, and it really came in handy. But fortunately my boat is small enough that we lower the mast and put a tarp over top, which keeps the snow off.

I've heard that shrinkwrap can trap moisture pretty badly, unless you go to great pains to do it right (multiple air vents, etc.). I see a few powerboats in my yard with it done correctly, but most are completely sealed.

I checked on TakeFive today, and there was one small depressed spot in the cover that had filled with snow, but I was able to get under it and knock it off. My motorboat (trailered in the back yard) had more issues. I usually go out and knock off the snow every few hours, but it came down too fast overnight. The underlying cover support straps apparently stretched, causing the cover to have low spots. It was easy to get the dry powdery snow off, but I'm going to have to remove the cover and readjust the straps, otherwise rain will collect there in the future. I'm waiting for some warmer temps before I do that.

willyd 01-24-2016 05:52 PM

I took my tarp off because I thought it would get torn apart in the high winds they were predicting and also because it's hard to get around the side decks with the tarp tied to the toerails. Otherwise, a tarp would have worked great to keep the snow from entirely filling the cockpit. We also got lucky in this storm in that the water wasn't blown out of the river, so I was able to get on board this afternoon and shovel it out. I found a hatchboard did a much better job than the trench-tool-sized shovel I brought.

T37Chef 01-26-2016 09:19 AM

Coastal Flood Advisory is accurate, tide was about 2 feet above normal. Creeks are frozen over now and ice eaters at work. The Nor Easter didn't affect me much, my slip is well protected from everything except WNW wind... which last weekends Gale was apparent with the three to four days of WNW wind in the 30 - 40 knots and gust to 50... that was rather unpleasant after day three ;)

The recent snow storm "Jonas" left us with a all time record snowfall for Maryland of 29"+... fortunately the blizzard conditions blew most all the snow off the docks but did create some crazy drifs... the Patapsco River Saturday look as ruff as I have ever seen it from MYC clubhouse... pretty nice watching from the warmth of the fireplace and cozy clubhouse Saturday... glad I was not out on the water! ;)

How many days until Spring?

Ajax_MD 01-26-2016 10:25 AM

Looks like 54 days...

I keep hoping this was our one, good, winter wallop and that we'll resume a warmer than average winter.

jsaronson 01-26-2016 10:50 AM

First frostbite race is scheduled for Sunday. Anyone need crew?

Ajax_MD 01-27-2016 08:58 AM

I just might go sailing on Sunday. The forecast looks ripe for it.

Cap'n Russ 01-27-2016 02:34 PM

We just renewed our lease at Watergate Pointe (formally Watergate Village) and it only went up by $100 so they are still one of the best deals in Eastport/Annapolis. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3287202)
Watergate Village is now Watergate Pointe. The property sold two years ago and the new owners have been making a number of upgrades. I have not walked the docks in a while so can't speak to how things are going.

I kept Auspicious at Watergate for about three years.

You must park on the street (parking lots are reserved for apartment residents). Liveaboards are not permitted although there are a few people who are aboard their boats a lot. *grin* No cable TV. No WiFi although Annapolis Wireless is okay; tech support is only available 9 - 5 weekdays. AT&T and Verizon were both spotty on the boats last I checked although fine up the hill.

The Annapolis City Harbormaster lives at Watergate. He is a great guy in my opinion.

We moved for reasons that had nothing to do with Watergate. I'd go back and recommend it highly to others.

chef2sail 01-29-2016 02:40 AM

If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also

willyd 01-30-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 3300330)
I just might go sailing on Sunday. The forecast looks ripe for it.

Let me know if you need crew.

punahougirl84 01-30-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 3304026)
If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also

I've definitely gotten the impression that absolutely no one has anything good to say about White Rocks. I can take the not so subtle hint and avoid the place that might trash a boat. The other three all have possibilities which I have now researched. I appreciate the feedback.

We are still waiting for the repair to be finished on the boat so at some point we can finish the survey and find out if this is ever going to happen. My nerves are twanging!

T37Chef 01-30-2016 07:30 PM

I know White Rocks had many boats damaged from last weekends blizzard, the NE winds were blowing right up the creek aimed directly at WR... while folks at MYC, Fairview, and Oak Harbor barely felt the 50+ mph winds.

T37Chef 01-31-2016 04:09 PM

I was bored yesterday so I went to the Baltimore Boat Show... wow... wow... it was really bad. I didn't expect many sailboats, but not one? Not even a sailing dingy. Why call it a boat show, call it the Baltimore Fishing and Trailer Boat Show. What a waste of $16. Did see a nice booth for MYC, that and the custom knife booth were the only interesting things to see. I will never go again. Few years ago they at least had a couple keel boats there, they didn't even have a Hobie! Ugh

travlin-easy 01-31-2016 04:18 PM

Shawn, that show fell apart many years ago when Ray Nichols sold it. That pretty much ended anything to do with sailboats. I can clearly remember the days when the show was in the 5th Regiment Armory and it was 50 percent sailboats. Same was true for the Washington Boat Show. Both are now powerboat shows, and mainly trailerable boats to boot.

All the best,

Ajax_MD 01-31-2016 05:58 PM

My sailing clearance was revoked this weekend.
My cove is still too iced up. Several inches thick, yet clear water lay 200 yards away.:mad:

T37Chef 01-31-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 3308529)
My sailing clearance was revoked this weekend.
My cove is still too iced up. Several inches thick, yet clear water lay 200 yards away.https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

Just sit on the bow and chop your way to soft water https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

travlin-easy 01-31-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 3308945)
Just sit on the bow and chop your way to soft water https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

I did that with an anchor when I was young to reach open water in the lower Susquehanna River where yellow per were schooled. Dumbest damned thing I ever did on a boat. One slip and I would have been dead in 20 minutes. And, when we returned 3 hours later, we couldn't find the opening, which I assume quickly froze over and had to use the anchor to get back into the launch ramp area again.

Wait for warmer weather, which will be a bit later this week.

Good luck,

Ajax_MD 02-01-2016 07:48 AM

Absolutely no way I could chop through this. It's basically all the snow that landed in the water, melted and re-froze.
I could safely stand on it and walk across the cove.

As of yesterday afternoon, there were large puddles of liquid on the sheet so if the warm weather holds for a couple of days, it *may* rot enough to let me out by the weekend.

willyd 02-01-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 3309217)
One slip and I would have been dead in 20 minutes.

Apparently going out in a jon boat in rough conditions in the middle of winter isn't too great of an idea, either: 2 missing hunters identified; authorities continue search on Severn River - WTOP

oldlaxer1 02-01-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_W (Post 3272521)
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Md boat registration renewal back its been a month since I mailed mine in??

I mailed mine in shortly after you posted this (thanks for the memory jog!) and received the stickers on Saturday.

aa3jy 02-01-2016 09:25 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Apparently there's a new ID process that requires boats registered in Md now requires a drivers license to be on file for processing boat registration that may slow down new/renewal for the time being...

Donna_F 02-01-2016 09:53 AM

I renewed last year but I understand that MD now requires you to list your fishing license number to renew your boat registration. Even if you only had one for one year ten years ago. You need to have that number on the renewal.

4arch 02-01-2016 12:48 PM

The new MD stickers are also extremely ugly. Gone are the stylized drawings of the state house, etc. - now replaced with the expiration date in big block lettering.

travlin-easy 02-01-2016 01:43 PM

Fishing License? I don't need no stinking license!

That's totally nuts, Donna. I haven't purchased a license in a couple years, and I don't keep the old ones, so I have no idea what that license number would be. Of course, anyone that has dealt with Maryland Department Of Natural Resources (DNR) knows what DNR stands for - DO NOTHING RIGHT!

Donna_F 02-01-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 3310081)
Fishing License? I don't need no stinking license!

That's totally nuts, Donna. I haven't purchased a license in a couple years, and I don't keep the old ones, so I have no idea what that license number would be. Of course, anyone that has dealt with Maryland Department Of Natural Resources (DNR) knows what DNR stands for - DO NOTHING RIGHT!

The guy who told me this after he tried to renew said that was his problem, too. He also said that if you go to the service center in person they can look it up, but they won't cross-reference it and add it to your renewal form if you do it by mail.

Jim_W 02-01-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 3309537)
I mailed mine in shortly after you posted this (thanks for the memory jog!) and received the stickers on Saturday.

I got my the day I posted the Question took about 4 weeks

reduc 02-03-2016 12:31 PM

I managed to get out of Rock Hall on Monday Feb 1 - was stuck there for a bit. I'm on a very late trip south on my new boat. Spending today around the entrance to the Patuxent River (Calvert Marina) with the intention of waiting out thunderstorms that haven't materialized (at least around here). I expect I'll be out of the Chesapeake in a couple of days, but will be back later on my return trip North. Next year I'll try to time this better.

travlin-easy 02-03-2016 02:06 PM

Donna, I just talked with Maryland DNR Licensing and the person that provided you with that information was misinformed. What is now required is a DNR ID number, which can be obtained by calling any of the regional service centers and providing them with some information - I just got mine. This six digit number is needed for their new computerized system of issuing ALL licenses - not just the boating license.

Hope this helps,

T37Chef 02-12-2016 02:38 PM

Um... 0 degrees and NW winds 25 knots with gust to 50 knots... anyone up for a sail tomorrow? ;)

punahougirl84 02-12-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 3333233)
Um... 0 degrees and NW winds 25 knots with gust to 50 knots... anyone up for a sail tomorrow? ;)

BAHAHAHAHA... um, NO!

You need to find a nice fireplace and hunker down for the duration.

Lee

oldlaxer1 02-12-2016 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'm in. You take the helm.

willyd 02-15-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, we had nearly this same weather this weekend last year - look at last year's thread https://www.sailnet.com/forums/2580001-post32.html .

Ajax_MD 02-15-2016 10:23 AM

Oh... they've totally blown the forecast for this storm. 1-3 inches my frozen butt. I'll see at least 6 inches today before/if it transitions to rain.

Hey, it's a holiday so the county hasn't seen fit to plow the roads but very occasionally. My company doesn't honor President's Day, but after sliding my way down Route 2, I abandoned the attempt and came home. I'll burn a day of leave.
I'm glad I shoveled the first 4 inches from the walks and drive. It'll make removing the next batch easier.

Rhapsody-NS27 02-15-2016 11:20 AM

agreed.

the 1-3" prediction is out. Unfortunately, I still have to work today.

travlin-easy 02-15-2016 11:32 AM

Be careful out there Dan, could get real nasty later today.

Ulladh 02-15-2016 11:46 AM

Snow I can handle and it has only just started snowing here in Philadelphia, the freezing rain forecast for tonight is another beast.

I lost 500 linear feet of freshly poured concrete footing to freezing rain induced frost heave several years ago, the rain went through the hay bail and thermal blanket cover before freezing below the concrete.

I need to check my cockpit drains this afternoon.

xort 02-15-2016 05:15 PM

Oh what fun! NOT!

jsaronson 02-16-2016 09:40 AM

This weekend's forecast is for temps in the high 50s. Looks like I'll be sailing!

Plus, we are buying a Hylas 44. She'll be in Annapolis the end of March. She needs cosmetic work and some TLC, but we are very excited!

T37Chef 02-16-2016 05:26 PM

Nice... a Hylas 44. Congratulations

chef2sail 02-21-2016 03:12 AM

Nice boat Joel
While I know you loved your C&C 35 that's some upgrade
Married life must be good
Congrats on that Hylas

jsaronson 02-21-2016 08:26 AM

Thanks guys. The C&C has been an amazing boat. When I bought her I had no expectation of skippering the A2B and A2N.
This time last year I was iced in. Yesterday I took the new owner of The Office for a test sail. I'm doing one more A2B before we close. In 4 weeks we bring the Hylas (Atlantis) up from Lauderdale. Been a crazy month.

Ajax_MD 02-22-2016 08:04 AM

Knowing very little about Hylas, I looked it up. I really like the lines, it's a very attractive vessel.

Another sailing day come, gone and missed. I spent the warm weather re-assembling my engine.
Whenever I get frustrated, I just remind myself that it's better to have discovered this problem in February rather than in May on my way out to a starting line somewhere.

I managed to get the engine back together without pulling any of the other studs out of the block. No leaks anywhere that I can find.
Exhaust water flow seems more constant, with less batching and a little more volume, yet not quite as much as I was expecting. I think my raw water pump is tired, but it still pumps the minimum 3 gpm at idle that Moyer Marine specifies. There was no steam in the exhaust, which is a very good sign. The engine seems to have good pep, especially after a little tweak to the carburetor. I think have a diagnostic tach laying around. I want to see what the RPM's are.

My daughters have moved out and I'm living alone now. My 15 year old beagle spends too much time alone while I'm at work, so he pretty much goes with me everywhere now.
He naps on the settee while I do engine work. He seems to be getting used to the boat and may end up being a sea-dog after all. I won't take him out if I'm going to bash into 20 kts and a square chop though.