2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - SailNet Community
 1253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1896 Old 01-01-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Another year, another late check in.

Best wishes to all on another New Year and a wonderful season for sailing.

Today is a boat work day for me.
T37Chef likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
BlueberryDave (02-16-2016), T37Chef (01-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1896 Old 01-03-2016

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Happy New Year!

Winterized the engine finally

Started on New Years Day; Warmed up the engine and then put some Barnacle Buster (https://trac-online.com/product/barn...2%AE-ready-use) in the raw water system and let it sit for 24 hours. Then changed the engine oil (so easy with the Beta, has the pump connected to the drain plug, about 30 pumps and you're finished)and filter.

Yesterday I flushed the raw water system with fresh water than ran the engine antifreeze through. Changed the impeller, engine zinc, and all three fuel filters... which includes the Racor with a 30 Micron, Engine filter with a 10 micron, and Racor P30 Fuel Polisher/back up filter with a 30 Micron. Checked over the engine for leaks, lose fittings/hoses/belts, bolts, engine mounts and alignment (its within .003). The Racor P30 Pump/Filter/Polisher with the way I designed the plumbing allows me to prime the engine and fill the filters with a push of the button. No need to carry diesel in a little can anymore! The P30 also will polish the tank and can be a back up filter if the primary gets clogged. Ahhhh... that Racor P30 was a good find at the boat show, it was only a few dollars more than a regular Racor.

I need to change the transmission fluid too but that is easy peasy, maybe today?

Is it March yet?
BlueberryDave likes this.

Shawn

post #3 of 1896 Old 01-03-2016

This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.
TakeFive likes this.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA

Last edited by Ulladh; 01-03-2016 at 11:22 AM.

post #4 of 1896 Old 01-03-2016

Got outfor a final or first sail of the season. So cool having the Bay to myself!
post #5 of 1896 Old 01-03-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

and my refit will continue.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #6 of 1896 Old 01-03-2016

I'll splash about April 15th, restock the bar and pantry, clean the boat top to bottom, inside and out, then put the sails up and sail to Saint Somewhere. I'm now semi retired, I'll sail all summer long, and come home when I feel the urge. I've even contracted someone to mow the lawn. Come October, if my health allows, I'll put up the sails and point the bow south. I hope to spend the winter in Marathon, maybe make a trip to the Dry Tortugas, then sail back home to the bay in April. The last time I did this I came home in March and it was too damned cold.

All the best,

Gary
brokesailor likes this.
post #7 of 1896 Old 01-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
This year I have a premium spot on the hard and will be 3rd or 4th boat to splash in April.

Reinstalling my Alado furler, and planning a late July sail to Smith and or Tangier Island.
I had my boat blocked in a different location too. I was tired of being blocked in by powerboats. I used to think that the ones who haul out in December were so gung-ho about fall/winter fishing that they wanted to get every day of boating that they could. I quickly realized that they were just procrastinators, and come April they don't return phone calls and block everyone in. (Our DIY boatyard refuses to launch unless the owner is personally present.)

They moved me over among the little trailer boats, so that anyone who blocks me in can be easily towed out of the way.

I went down today for a few hours and topped off my batteries before the big freeze hits this week.

I can't wait to get down into the Bay this summer. I'm debating changing my registration from PA to MD, so I can leave the boat down there for an extended period. Even if my home marina stays in PA, they don't check around here, and PA already has their sales tax from me anyway.
SailingUphill likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #8 of 1896 Old 01-04-2016
Sailor

First Happy New Year!! I am planning on leaving my boat in the slip for the winter. I bought a deicer just incase. I am already winterized and did all new thru hulls, seacocks and the bottom last season. Hopefully with the warm winter I can start sailing again in March. Water temps are still very high for January so hopefully the winter will be short and warmer than the last few. My winter project is all new wiring, I have already replaced all cabin light with LED's and have a new charging system and a dc panel.
Stay Warm
Jim W
post #9 of 1896 Old 01-04-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

With the freezing weather around the corner don't forget to remove your speed transducer to remove trapped water then reinsert. You could end up with a cracked housing if you don't.
T37Chef likes this.
post #10 of 1896 Old 01-04-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I took the inlaws and outlaws out for a New Year's Day sail.
Spiked the hot chocolate with rum and had bagels for breakfast. Eventually we sailed over to a restaurant and had crab soup for lunch.
There was just enough sun and breeze to make it a good time.

My guests are mostly farmers and had never been sailing. They loved it. They really don't get any recreation time during the planting and growing season.
I'm pestering them to figure out how to get a day off in the summer for a day of sailing, anchoring, grilling and swimming.

I've winterized the engine, drained the seacocks and freshwater tank. I do need to pour some pink stuff into the bilge and toilet. I'll do it this afternoon.

I've put many freshly varnished pieces of wood down in the cabin now. It's really starting to look good.
I still have plenty more to do, and to paint the cabin but by spring, it'll look great. Not sure if I'll get the cushions done, but I'll try.
T37Chef likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Tags
alberg 35 , anchor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in