2016 Labor Day Weekend.. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Re: 2016 Labor Day Weekend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

One other thing to note: Look for the very small Green #1 can outside the breakwater. The marker had disappeared at some point in the past year, and was subsequently removed from NOAA's charts. Now the marker has been replaced, and if you fail to honor it you will probably bump bottom in the 4.5' secondary channel. Many powerboats cut this corner, but you should not.

The entrance to the harbor looks very narrow the first time you do it. It gets wider with experience. Someday if I have to enter in a gale it will look a lot narrower again.
Last time we went by sailboat the Green #1 was missing and although Navionics showed us dead center of the channel outside the breakwater, we got hung up for just a few minutes on the north side of the channel. (Bouncing isn't fun.) Three weeks ago by power boat, Green 1 was back. . First time I've ever had an issue. (I draw 5 ft)
punahougirl84 likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Looks like our plans for this weekend are coming together. Our good friends from Maine are returning to their Mason 44 in Galesville tomorrow. They are not sure that their boat will be ready to cruise by this weekend, so they have invited us to be their guests at West River Sailing Club. Tentative plan is to sail down to West River on Saturday and take one of the club's mooring balls (if available) or anchor. We'll daysail with them on Sunday, and return to Rock Hall on Monday.

Several factors could change this plan, but that's what it's looking like now. Maybe I can say hello to Ajax while I'm there. Is Dave still keeping Auspicious at Pirate's Cove?

We had been thinking of finding someplace more secluded, but getting together with friends is more important to us. I am not sure any cove will be secluded on a holiday weekend anyway, so a different weekend might be better for secluded anchoring.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #23 of 114 Old 08-31-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Keep a close eye on the weather. Forecasts are all over the place regarding TS 8 and 9. No direct strikes are forecast but there is a potential of gale force winds on Sunday.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #24 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Keep a close eye on the weather. Forecasts are all over the place regarding TS 8 and 9. No direct strikes are forecast but there is a potential of gale force winds on Sunday.
Oops, I had been following the predicted path of TD9, but last time I checked wasn't seeing the wind forecast. Now it's looking like Saturday afternoon could be even stronger than Sunday, with gusts above 50.

Thanks for the reminder.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-31-2016 at 01:47 PM.
post #25 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

The wife and I will be starting are (2) week journey leaving from the south end of Lake Michigan and ending up at the South end of Lake Huron all with a new to us Hunter 41 DS, will spend a couple of days becoming familiar with her and then North bound we will be.
post #26 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

I will be Racing on Baggattle out of New London for the Round Fishers Island race on Saturday, and then hope to sail on Cshell - a Penobscot 13- that I built this year. If the wind doesn't kick up to much from t9.
Attached Thumbnails
Cshell at anchor.jpg   Cshell.jpg  
post #27 of 114 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Looks like this weekend is shaping up to check for leaks and anchor holding testing...

p.s. t/s Hermine has developed in the Gulf and the new track appears to take it through the middle part of the Chesapeake Bay by Sat. into Sun. with winds predicting to be in the 50-60 mph range..

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-31-2016 at 06:02 PM.
post #28 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Looks like our plans for this weekend are coming together. Our good friends from Maine are returning to their Mason 44 in Galesville tomorrow. They are not sure that their boat will be ready to cruise by this weekend, so they have invited us to be their guests at West River Sailing Club. Tentative plan is to sail down to West River on Saturday and take one of the club's mooring balls (if available) or anchor. We'll daysail with them on Sunday, and return to Rock Hall on Monday.

Several factors could change this plan, but that's what it's looking like now. Maybe I can say hello to Ajax while I'm there. Is Dave still keeping Auspicious at Pirate's Cove?

We had been thinking of finding someplace more secluded, but getting together with friends is more important to us. I am not sure any cove will be secluded on a holiday weekend anyway, so a different weekend might be better for secluded anchoring.
There are plenty of secluded coves on Holiday weekends just not the western shore. Chester, Wye, Choptank are far less crowded.

We were meeting and rafting with friends this weekend but it looks like the weather will nix that.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #29 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We were meeting and rafting with friends this weekend but it looks like the weather will nix that.
Hmm...

If seasoned, well-traveled folks like @chef2sail are saying "avoid" and the forecast quoted by @aa3jy holds up, I'm seriously re-thinking the trip to Rock Hall. Riding out gale-force winds with a pair of teenagers and an already-anxious 10-year-old does not sound like the best introduction to sailing/cruising as a fun family activity.
punahougirl84 likes this.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #30 of 114 Old 08-31-2016

Do you think a double reefed main and storm jib will do? Arg
mbianka and punahougirl84 like this.

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in