Damned I hate winter! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 10-11-2016

Re: Damned I hate winter!

Hey Gary,

You don't know me from Adam, but I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your life and vitality. I'm an ER and ICU nurse, and I VERY seldom come across people with your enthusiasm and zest for life. You are someone I aspire to be, and I'm glad to hear your stories and plans.

Just want you to know you've left an impression on me.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 10-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
.....So, if the old codger writing this takes a turn for the worse during the ensuing winter, there will be a pristine, 33 Morgan Out Island up for sale come spring. I hope this is not the case, but if it is, I'll be sure to post the information here.....
Only wishing you the best, Gary. The consideration I offered was whether you should rent that house in the Keys or spend the winter building the hard dodger and which you'd prefer to have done, if your condition prevents either next year. Not preaching, as I certainly don't know all the factors. You'll make the right decision for you. Just wishing you happiness, with your wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 43 Old 10-12-2016

Dock

Here's wishing you a good winter... at least as good as winter can be when you can't get away from it.

I'm hoping you will post some pics of your top build I'm thinking I want to build one on my Morgan 41 and would like to get some ideas.

post #14 of 43 Old 10-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
...I have pulmonary asbestosis ... I was heavily exposed to asbestos while in the US Navy more than 60 years ago.
You could have various claims for compensation from VA disability to tort claims against the government under the FTCA or against the asbestos product manufacturer.
post #15 of 43 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter

jdubbery, Thanks for the well wishes and compliments. For the first 15 years of our marriage, I worked in the field of medicine as technical director of the Cardio-Pulmonary divisions of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and University Of Maryland Hospital, and also the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit. Consequently, I am well aware of what is in store for me, particularly when you consider that many of my patients were steel workers with advanced asbestosis. Because of this, I was fairly confident that it was inevitable that I would contract this fatal disease later in life - just no way to predict when it was coming. I also know there is no treatment other than trying to avoid other forms of pulmonary diseases that people are normally exposed to through contact with others. When my daughter tells me my grandson has a cold, I will not allow them to come for a visit - it could be fatal.

Minnewaska, my wife and I rented a home in Marathon two years ago, and while we had a ball the entire two months of winter we stayed there, the cost was horrendous. The rent alone for two months was $7,000, then there is the cost of getting there, getting back to Maryland, going out to dinner, etc..., and the bottom line was more than $10,000 for just two months. When I was living aboard the boat at Marathon City Marina and tied to the bulkhead, the cost was about $1,000 a month, including slip rent, food and booze. In both instances, I was still able to play music and make money to help offset the expenses, but my lung and back problems forced me to retire last August, something I never wanted to do. As I have stated many times in the past, I had the best job on the planet.

Mike, I will definitely post photos of the job as it progresses. Yesterday I went to Home Depot to look at the fiberglass sheeting, which I believe will do a great job. Just need to get some more information on how to make the bends on the outer edges. I believe I can do this with a heat gun, but first I'll have to buy a sheet of fiberglass to test this. The folks at Home Depot didn't know if that would work, so I posted a question to the manufacturer. Still waiting for an answer from them.

Caberg, I filed for compensation from the manufactuers three years ago, and thus far, two checks have come from the attorneys. The attorneys got 40 percent, the doctor that read the X-ray and made the diagnosis got $200, and I got the remainder, which was the lesser amount. What amazed me is the doctor gets $100 from each and every check, despite the fact he was paid by Medicare and Blue Cross for reading the X-rays and diagnosis. What a rip-off. I also filed with the VA for compensation. This was done 5 years ago. After waiting 3 years, the VA had a PA examine me at the VA Hospital in Baltimore, then denied my claim saying that I was not symptomatic. That PA had no training in pulmonary medicine, and knew nothing whatsoever about asbestosis, but that didn't make any difference to them. I was told to refile by my VA doctor this past July, when I had to go on supplemental oxygen, which by VA regulations, must be compensated 100 percent. The VA said they cannot process that claim because the initial claim is under appeal. I called the appeal team yesterday, spent two hours on hold, and they finally said they would enter the new claim as additional documentation to the original claim. I asked when I would be having a new review, and they said "These things take time, you know." I blew my stack because I know they want me to die first, so they don't have to do anything. I guess 5 years isn't enough time for the VA to take care of my case.

Tomorrow will be a bit chilly, but the winds are supposed to be kicking along at 10 to 15 with gusts to 20 - good sailing conditions for my old tub. If any of you are sailing around in the upper bay tomorrow, look for an old codger sitting in the helm seat with a cold beer in his hand and his feet propped on on the lazerette, smiling as he bounces off the remaining crab pot floats.

All the best,

Gary
baywater and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
post #16 of 43 Old 10-12-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Gary,

I saw one of these: MORGAN OUT ISLAND 415 KETCH sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com in my river at a marina, Monday afternoon. It was positively bristol.
It reminded me of you.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #17 of 43 Old 10-12-2016

Travelin, sorry to hear of your plight. It is the circle of life that we all must have to swallow the anchor at some point. Do you have a child, nephew, grandson that you can pass the boat onto? We know a lady in our marina who, after her husband died, made an arrangement with a nice young family for them to have unlimited access to the boat in exchange for covering the monthly expenses, maintenance, and the proviso that they take her sailing whenever she wants. Works for them. Think outside the box.

Better yet, think positive thoughts and work on that bimini! We are getting a Sunbrella one made as we speak. On my C34 with a split backstay, I only have room for a single 100w panel. Have you posted pictures of your set up on the Out Island? Iím curious on how you wrangled 450w out of your real estate and how you wired your controller(s). Iím settling for 200w total (second panel on the dodger) and Iím afraid that it is not enough for Mexico and the tropics.

p.s. Feel free to send some of your nasty weather our way. The drought is killing us here in Cali!

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #18 of 43 Old 10-12-2016
Old soul

So sorry to read this latest news Gary. I'm on the road, driving to our winter home in BC, so will write more when I can, but just wanted to say, well ... that this news really sucks. You've inspired me in so may ways, and I still want to share that beer with you some day, so you better stick around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 43 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter

Ajax, the 415 was the very first boat I looked at in Yorktown, VA when I was searching for a Morgan Out Island. Huge boat, both inside and outside. Great aft cabin with head and shower, more storage than anyone can imagine, yet very, very roomy in the forward section and center cockpit. I seriously thought about buying the 415, but after sailing one, I realized that the 33 would be better for a single handed sailor such as myself. Thanks for thinking of this old codger.

George, the solar panels I'm looking to install measure just 26 X 58 inches and punch out 160-watts. There is plenty of room for a pair of them on the Bimini Top, and the third will go on the stern rail, replacing my 100-watter. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Sol...Fab8/202959994

The 100-watt panel that is currently mounted on the stern rail is just a few inches smaller than the new 160.

As for the final destination of the boat, well, my daughter is disabled with a paralyzed left arm, so sailing is out of the question for her. My son likes speed and power right now (he's a very young 50 year old) and he already owns a 25-foot Crownline cruiser with a big block V-8 in it. He doesn't want the boat or the expense of keeping it at a marina. So, when the old man takes the dirt nap, someone will be putting the boat up for sale and the proceeds will go to the estate.

Mike, I hope to see you next summer as you make your way toward the land of swaying palm trees, sugar white sand and turquoise colored waters. You need to get as far away from the frozen north as soon as possible. The only ice you need is the cubes floating in your Margaretta.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 10-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #20 of 43 Old 10-12-2016

Pffft, October is a great time to sail over here....

wait, whats this https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...umbia/victoria

UGH

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

Last edited by alctel; 10-12-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in