2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 1316 Old 02-01-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

FWIW, I have a Maxwell (I think) powered capstan with just a smooth drum that I can and sometimes do use. It will haul up chain with 2 wraps around the drum. I tend not to use it because its slow and still requires two hands but it does take care of the heavy lifting part.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to devise a replacement with a chain gypsy since the wiring is all in place, but I'm a weekend sailor for the foreseeable future and can't rationalize the expense.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1316 Old 02-04-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
I was checking out Pendragon on my way home from the boat today. She's looking good.(She's not sideways in real life!!!)
John
Thanks so much for this. Jacquelyn was injured in early January at work and has been off ever since, so it's been over a month since I've been down there. I always worry; boats are like kids, they sometimes get into mischief when you leave them unsupervised. I'm hoping to get down there this week!
post #93 of 1316 Old 02-04-2017

There were at least 20 small boats out on the Susquehanna River this afternoon, fishing for yellow perch. I saw a single sailboat, a 22-footer, zipping across the Susquehanna Flats, with a guy at the tiller dressed in a deer hunting suit, wearing goggles and mittens. I bet he was still pretty darned cold.

All the best,

Gary

post #94 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I stripped, cleaned and reinstalled the port primary winch this weekend. I countersunk the mounting holes and bedded them in butyl this time, instead of whatever white goop was used before.

I made a trip to West Marine to have them duplicate a section of lifeline I tore up at the dock. Lastly, I inflated the dinghy and nailed up some berber carpet strips to the insides of my dock pilings to protect the hull when arriving and departing. My slip is barely wide enough for the boat, so some touching is almost inevitable.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #95 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017
美國佬

I went down to my boat yesterday and it's been repurposed by an incontinent heron as a floating toilet. I had tied a string between the boom and the backstay to keep it from perching on the boom and crapping all over the cockpit, so now the cabintop and foredeck is covered with undigested berries and other waste. I think a solution might be to get an inferior quality boat from craigslist and tie it up in the next slip and see what happens.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #96 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I went down to my boat yesterday and it's been repurposed by an incontinent heron as a floating toilet. ...
This might only work if your dock neighbors agree, but on a different dock in my marina where the gulls seem to be bringing down the neighborhood, one boat owner tied two strings of fishing line between all the pilings, attached CDs to the tops of the pilings and scattered along the dock and placed a fake owl in the center of the dock before all the fishing line started and you get to his boat.

We could clearly see that there were almost no bird droppings past the owl. A bit drastic I guess but he had a clean boat.

My concern is for any heron that tries to land on the dock, as they do on mine occasionally (but not on the boats). I've seen one get caught up in a boat's rigging while trying to take off. I'd hate to see one caught up in all that fishing line. Fortunately our two resident herons have their preferred fishing docks and that one isn't one of them. Perhaps the CDs and owl are working to keep them away, too.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
willyd (02-07-2017)
post #97 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017
美國佬

Thanks. The heron could land on the entire rest of the pier, including two dozen or so outlying pilings, instead of my boat. I could create a cat's cradle of lines between the shrouds that would do the trick, I think, or maybe CDs or plastic bags. I'd like to find the most passive-aggressive solution possible.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #98 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017

I use an osprey wind sock that keeps all the birds away. Best $50 I ever spent. I also have an inflatable snake on the boom, but not sure how well it works. The osprey can be found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Jackite-Ospre...VH6CV6KV9ZBW6D

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
willyd (02-07-2017)
post #99 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017

A friend gave me a Redtail hawk decoy that seems to work pretty well at keeping the Osprey and Swifts from pooping on our boat. We never had major problems until I installed the Davits which apparently formed a perfect fishing perch. Before I started using the Hawk the cockpit and davits were constantly covered. Since using the Hawk, hung on shrouds, it seem we get a lot less and mostly forward on the boat where I assume swifts perch in the rigging well above where we hang the hawk.

Lat time I was over, I did notice our dock is really fouled with bird droppings starting about at our slip and out to the T head. I hope its winter behavior and they move on come spring or I may have a new battle to fight come spring.

FWIW I had near zero success hanging CD's all over the rigging on the boat. I think the birds used them to fix their feathers after taking a dump on my boat.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoSailor For This Useful Post:
willyd (02-07-2017)
post #100 of 1316 Old 02-06-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I use an osprey wind sock that keeps all the birds away. Best $50 I ever spent. I also have an inflatable snake on the boom, but not sure how well it works. The osprey can be found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Jackite-Ospre...VH6CV6KV9ZBW6D

Gary
Funny how most of the review comments are about keeping poo off boats. Not a bad idea if it works well.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in