2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 108 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1071 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Yes, we have 6 well-placed lines and spares that we take with us. We have four fenders and three more that attach to pilings. The move to the slip had to do with cost (instead of charging us for boat length plus 5' as we were last year, we were being charged slip length this year - it took us up two levels in price and we had to move - distance from the parking lot and bathrooms wasn't an issue - while being closer has been nice, extra steps are good for all of us). I preferred D and the extra width and length and protection - that's why we picked it last year. Brad will be down Saturday, along with many others I imagine. He offered help. We can go back to adjust closer to the storm. Justin Berk thinks the surge won't be as bad as with Isabel, but that there will be some. Obviously we are all paying close attention. My heart breaks for the devastation on the islands, and what Florida is about to experience.
Neither Brad nor Justin were there during Isabel. I was Commodore when we gave that introductory rate to attract new members as we had fallen to levels which would have bankrupted MYC. As it was we had to close the restaurant and also trim our professional staff. That trend of losing members started 5 years after we joined. My first year there the basin was completely filled and we didn't know if we were going to get a slip. From then on membership slid.the introductory rate was a way to stem that however many slipholders who paid full rate were somewhat against it,

I wondered what would happen when introductory members would get charged full rate the second year and whether they would stay. There are many other nice places which are $1500 or more cheaper for comporable slips . When we left we saved $1800 and have a nice 50 foot 15.5 foot slip. It was a no brainier. Plus it put us near Annapolis and opened up the Wye and Choptank as well as Solomon's only 38 miles away. That was one of our reasons for going. We kept our friends too . Glad to see you stayed.

It's still hard to predict Irma but if she really crunches Florida like it appears we will get minimal surge. Especially if it goes west of us up the Ohio Valley.

This is good practice as this happens almost every year. It's good to be prepared. It also gives you other criteria to judge your slip, it's location and size, your marina in relation to storm winds . It also helps in developing a checklist so you have an SOP when itcome to weather conditions.

You'll come through fine. If you are already well tied in your slip it's just less windage, and preparing for the worst. Isabel was the high water mark at MYC with docks covered. No one could get to any boats for a couple days. No one got hurt. A number of boats sustained major damage from being hit by a neighbor and some stuff floating as well as the pedestals were all ruined so each member go it accessed $500 to repair the basin. Spread amongst 125 slip holder wasn't too bad. Now with the small numbers of slipholders the cost of assessment for any MYC improvements would be much more.

I am hopping this is a non event also as we go on vacation one week from tomorrow for a 13 day cruise down the Chessie.
punahougirl84 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (09-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1072 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I think you guys are greatly overestimating the impact Irma will have, locally.
For Take Five, I understand his caution, because he's leaving the area and won't be able to react quickly.

My family in Ft. Myers on the other hand... Jesus wept.
CalebD likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1073 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I think you guys are greatly overestimating the impact Irma will have, locally.
For Take Five, I understand his caution, because he's leaving the area and won't be able to react quickly.

My family in Ft. Myers on the other hand... Jesus wept.
Yes agree about the people in Florida. Hope they pull throug it. I was a responder to Katrina and seeing flooding devastation and wind damage on that kind of scale and dealing with the people who lives were dramatically altered was heart wrenching

On the other hand the comment about over estimating the impact was really some people being prudent at that point and trying to be prepared and other newcomers who have never really experienced a tropical system on the Chesapeake asking legitimate questions I thought. After all it really wasn't till yesterday that it appeared to be destined for a non strike in this area. Thiese comment me may also have have been generated by mania of the marinas and boat facilities sending notices to boat owners who store with them asking to sign up to have their boats hauled. Again they were being prudent as they didn't want to wait to late in the game to begin the process of hauling boats out.

Had you expressed these comments 5 days ago when there was extreme uncertainty as to Irmad track I think you'd get a different reaction. The hindsite know know where it probably will go is 20/20 vision and of course changes the game.

Also from my experience which may be small hurricanes have been known to change their minds and a small 200 mile jog east by Irma now and be fire it hits Florida could greatly affect outcomes and put NC and southern Chessie in the target zone. You aren't safe till it passes or goes up the Ohio Valley IMHO so it's good to be prepared. Many people cannot get to their boats easily just like Takefive

We intend to go sailing this beautiful weekend and our vacation planned to start to the Southern Chesapeake next Friday is still on. Unless the hurricane truly acts like a hurricane.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1074 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017
Chastened

I agree. I never would have made the same comment 5 days ago. It is only very recently that I have any confidence that we won't experience severe conditions.

I have no problem with prudence. I'd never tell anyone to *not* batten things down. I'm sure that you're also correct that marina manages may have been stoking things a bit. That's something I don't experience at my private dock so it hadn't occurred to me.
Dfok and punahougirl84 like this.

post #1075 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I agree. I never would have made the same comment 5 days ago. It is only very recently that I have any confidence that we won't experience severe conditions.

I have no problem with prudence. I'd never tell anyone to *not* batten things down. I'm sure that you're also correct that marina manages may have been stoking things a bit. That's something I don't experience at my private dock so it hadn't occurred to me.
I'm with you Ajax. I would only have begun preparations this weekend, if Irma's track was much further north. As far back as 3 days ago, it seemed that hurricane would not be an issue on the Chesapeake and I'd already shifted my attention to watching Jose. Jose is still in a position where it could be a major event for us, though the current predictions give reason for cautious optimism.

So while I won't be stripping the boat this weekend, I still might have to next weekend if Jose chooses not to follow the script.

As far as prep my family in Coastal SC have been busy for days putting up storm shutters, hauling boats and golf carts inland, securing patio/porch furniture etc and my sister and mother evacuated well in advance to stay with family upstate to avoid any potential issues on the roads. Thankfully for them at least it seems Irma is going to stay inland rather than move up the coast to a second land fall around Charleston as the models showed earlier in the week.

Prayers for those in the Storms path and those left in its wake.
Dfok likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 09-08-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #1076 of 1316 Old 09-08-2017

It's a really good thing I went to the boat last night. I had left the salon hatch open when we left on Monday. No sign of any water from Wednesday's rain, but I wouldn't want to leave it open for another week.

I'm virtually certain that Irma will be a non-event for us. Jose is also unlikely, but not certain. So in the interest of balancing risk with nuisance, here's basically what I did:
  • Lashed dinghy to stern in sideways position with 1 1/2" wide lashing straps (won't collect water, won't add windage)
  • Lengthened a couple of very short lines to allow a little room for pitching or heeling.
  • Added EPDM snubbers to a couple lines to minimize jolts to the cleats and reduce chafe in the lines
  • Doubled up a few critical bow, stern, and spring lines (I now have 3 spring lines preventing forward movement, the shortest one with snubber)
  • Closed bimini and secured it in its boot
  • Removed bimini connector panel
  • Removed winch covers
  • Lashed mainsail
  • Added bungee cord around tightly furled genoa as redundant prevention of unfurling
  • Added some Cap'n Tolley's around compression post tabernacle to ensure 100% waterproof seal (so far so good this season)

I left the dodger up and left the anchor on the roller. Obviously I would have removed these and a number of other things if there was a likelihood of a significant hit. But I want to enjoy my boat when I return to town, and won't have time to spend a day putting everything back together. With the current forecast, these are very good risks to take.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1077 of 1316 Old 09-09-2017 Thread Starter

Alligator Reef tomorrow AM. 27ft waves on SailFlow

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1078 of 1316 Old 09-09-2017 Thread Starter

Anchored in the back of Swan Creek, Rock Hall. Great close hauled sail in 12-15 knots of breeze. Perfect temps out at 75 degrees with bright sunshine

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1079 of 1316 Old 09-09-2017

Best sailing day yet, with a couple of dings.

Ding 1. One dockline had worked its way down below the water on its pile. I've rescued it before but this time no joy.
Ding 2. Battery flat and engine would not start. Power had been turned off and something must have been left on last time.

Positive 1. We went to WM, bought a new dockline and a couple spares. Had lunch at the beach. Enjoyed the view.

Battery then charged enough for a start.

Positives 2 through 100. Perfect weather for sailing. Got to play with mainsail angles a bit. Also got to a near steady 6 knots broad reach as we headed south west into the bay. Wife drove some, I drove some. Halfway across the wind died quite a bit so we turned back and made little progress for a whole. Wind picked up and all of a sudden doing 6 knots again on a close/beam reach.
I never knew something could be both relaxing and exhilarating at the same time.

Ding 3. Another docking woe. Crew member absent-mindedly dropped end of stern line in water while waiting for crew up front to throw and catch a line. I put engine in forward for a little to compensate for the headwind and dockline meets prop down below. Aaargh.
Another sail, another lesson or three.
Will be asking marina for a little haul out to see if any damage done and remove remaining line on prop.

Positives outweigh dings by at least an order of magnitude.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #1080 of 1316 Old 09-11-2017
Chastened

(Apparently) the Eastport Oyster Boys hold a concert on the water in Shaw Bay the weekend after Labor Day every year. They've been doing it for 15 years now.

A friend clued me in on this event, and we met up in Shaw Bay and rafted up. We then jumped into our dinghies and joined a huge raft of dinghies and small power boats attached to the EPOB houseboat/concert platform. The owner put a massive solar array on the roof that drives the concert equipment. He uses no generator. The power consumption to drive the amps, keyboard, microphones and speakers are considerable, so this is pretty impressive.

At one point, his boat was holding 40 other vessels on his anchor. There were kids, adults, dogs, beverages and snacks. Inflatable palm trees... They played for two hours. The concert raises funds for the middle shore riverkeeper's conservancy, so I made sure to kick in a donation. It was a great time. We collaborated on dinner and breakfast.

It's 23 miles each way for us. Beautiful wind and weather all weekend, with no tacking either day. All points of sail on the port side going over, and all points of sail on the stbd side coming home. Very little engine use. The solar panel kept the house battery up nicely, and the cool temps didn't require much use of the fridge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in