2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 110 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1091 of 1316 Old 09-12-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We anchored all the way in the rear of Swan Creek in an area must sailboats don't dare go. The creek is a gradually sloooping depth so if you tread carefully and figure out low tide it's ok.
A couple of years ago I took the dinghy and a weighted line and took soundings of Swan Creek from where we were anchored to the top of the main part of the creek. I have GPS coordinates of all my soundings but never got a chance to plot them. But if I remember correctly, depth in the dead center of the creek is good enough for Spindrift up to the small community marina about 2/3 up on the west side. Beyond this, it does gradually slope off down into the 5 and 4 foot range. Also found that in a situation where a dead center anchoring spot isn't available, the depth is generally more favorable toward the western shore (not to mention, the eastern side has more duck blinds).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1092 of 1316 Old 09-12-2017

We got the girls out for an overnight sail this weekend. Saturday morning we took a long tack out in the bay an the back into the river. Had a nice sail up to the Key Bridge where the wind went on the nose. We decided to take a slip at Henderson's Wharf in Fells Point (we haven't anchored at all this season as the girls get too antsy being cooped up on the boat too long and we don't currently have a working dinghy engine - hope to remedy that for next season). Henderson's staff was friendly enough but we didn't find the configuration of the docks to be especially transient-friendly, especially when trying to dock in a cross-wind (tight fairways and floating docks with only half-length fingers and no pilings between slips). Docking was uneventful in the end but not as straightforward as at some other transient oriented marinas.

Saturday evening we went out for an early dinner in Fells Point and afterward for fresh-baked cookies. Back to the boat early to put the girls to bed. About 10 minutes afterward, we saw fireworks coming from Ft. McHenry. We later discovered they were in commemoration of Defenders Day. We plucked the girls out of their bunks for the show, and it turned out to be a pretty impressive display for an event that wasn't very well publicized. Our slip was in the perfect spot to practically have front row seats.

Sunday morning we made pancakes aboard, took another quick walk around FP, then shoved off. Hoisted the sails near Ft. McHenry and were sailing a close reach on a single tack from there to the mouth of the river. We were occasionally hitting over 7 knots on a 10-15 knot breeze. A lot of fun - it's always great to be able to get most of the way to and from your destination under sail.

On another note, my wife is going to be featured as a regular columnist in Spinsheet starting later this year. She'll be writing about kids and families aboard. Keep an eye out.
chef2sail, oldlaxer1 and dss30 like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #1093 of 1316 Old 09-12-2017

We are watching Jose. In the odd chance Jose shows up and high water is predicted, we'll consider hauling her or leaving the marina for a safe anchorage. Maybe its PTSD, but I don't want to loose another boat this month.

Cheers, RickG
chef2sail and AJC506 like this.

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD

post #1094 of 1316 Old 09-12-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGUSVI View Post
We are watching Jose. In the odd chance Jose shows up and high water is predicted, we'll consider hauling her or leaving the marina for a safe anchorage. Maybe its PTSD, but I don't want to loose another boat this month.

Cheers, RickG
Right now it's a rudderless storm

We are starting down the Bay on our vacation with stops Friday in Solomons, Saturday in Mill Creek and Sunday through Wednesday in Onancock. Forecast is very light wind. Keeping wary eye on Jose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1095 of 1316 Old 09-14-2017 Thread Starter

Down at the boat tonight. Took too many trips to load her up. You'd think we were going for a month. Stowing took an hour but everything is packed away. Let's just hope we can find it.lol.

Found Jiffy Pop n Wegmans so we have a few of them too. Led to a discussion of whether to get a popcorn maker. I'm not fond of the air ones. Popcorn tastes love me sawdust. Anyone have one which works on the stove. Looking at thisone.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SABEgIb5fD_BwE

Tomorrow is leg one. Minimal wind. We will get at least to Solomon's.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1096 of 1316 Old 09-14-2017

With luck, my boat will be sold by this weekend. A nice, young couple looked at it last Sunday and fell in love with the boat. I'm taking them out on a sea trial this weekend at which time they will make an offer. For the first time in more than 60 years, I will be boatless.

All the best,

Gary
post #1097 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017
Sailor

I know a lot of us get supplies from the St. Mikes Acme but its closing.
St. Michaels ACME Closing Worries Community - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
post #1098 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017

Gary - I'm sure it's a bittersweet moment for you but glad to hear your boat is likely going to appreciative buyers. Just don't become a stranger around here!

RE St. Mikes Acme closure - truly a shame on many levels. Hardly ever went to St. Mikes without going to that store, but obviously seasonal boaters can't keep a store in business. We've pretty much given up on the idea that we can reprovision when out cruising the bay and just stock the boat with everything from the start. Then if we find some local produce, a bakery, etc. we can be pleasantly surprised but not dependent on finding such places.

It will be interesting to see what takes the Acme space. The only other local chain grocers that would open a new store in that small of a space are Grauls (which is already a mile up the road), MOM's, or Trader Joes (can't see them coming to St. Mikes though).
post #1099 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I know a lot of us get supplies from the St. Mikes Acme but its closing.
St. Michaels ACME Closing Worries Community - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
WTF!!! Nooooooooooooo!!! I love Acme!
chef2sail likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1100 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

There are plenty of places to reprovision on the Bay. It's just that their not in walking distance.

I would never even try and load 10 days of provisions on a week cruise on board. Veg and fruit will be ugly by day 7.

Sometimes we stop in a marina. One of the considerations is does it have a courtesy car for an hour. Many do. Many have bikes. We always keep a fabric cooler on the boat and ice packs in the One of the reasons I got a large evaporator inside the icebox

Most places have stores within a few miles. Just takes a little planning.

That being said we are sorry to see the Acme close in St Mikes. My favorite Acme is still available... it's in Cape May

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in