2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 111 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1101 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Looks like we will make the POtomac today and bypass Solomons as we are moving at 6.5 knots . Time will tell

Looking at Jose we've decided that if always s big if with a hurricane . If it stay the course it's tropical winds may brush the Delmarva. Tomorrow the picture will become more clear.

If it brushes the coast with Tropical force winds we will be in Onancock tied up for the 12 hour blow.

If it decides to enter the Chesapeake through the mouth we will probably high tail it up one of the rivers ( Rappahanock , Potomac, Pauutuxant ) for one of the many protected creeks to avoid and waves through fetch situations. Our Rocna has held in 60 knot winds with little problems plus they won't be that strong where we would anchor as many creeks have bluffs/ trees surrounding them

Time will tell. Either way it looks like a short event of maybe 12 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1102 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Found Jiffy Pop n Wegmans so we have a few of them too. Led to a discussion of whether to get a popcorn maker. I'm not fond of the air ones. Popcorn tastes love me sawdust. Anyone have one which works on the stove. Looking at thisone.
This is what I do, only usually with oil, not butter:

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #1103 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
This is what I do, only usually with oil, not butter: Patlamis misir yapimi(tereyagli)POP CORN - YouTube
Cool

I agree with oil

I was looking for an alternative to the pots I have. Don't want to use the caphalon pans I have onboard through so looking to see if anyone has used the popper I showed the link to. Using it means just a wipe out so the pot can stay "seasoned" and is just used for popcorn.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1104 of 1316 Old 09-15-2017 Thread Starter

We called an audible. Instead of proceeding down to the Potamc we stayed on the eastern shore side of the Bay and are going through the Hooper Straight and anchor off of Roasring Ear Pt/ Goose Creek in Fishing Bay. Very isolated . We are headed xpecting a semi onslaught of flies and no see-umm and have the screens in as well as citronella candles ready. We anchored once on the Honda River nearby.

Tomorrow we will stop 22 miles south in Crissfield so Donna can bludgeon some hardshells , with Sunday being Onancock for a few days. All this predicated on a brush with Jose vs a march up the Chesapeake by it. Crissfield a few years ago when we stopped there has really deteriorated. , but still a premier place to get jumbo fall crabs. I promised her a stop at a pick the crab restaurant.

Weve been motoring most of the day with a 6 knot whisper behind us. We had the diver wipe Haleakulas bottom last week and she is sliding through the water. His report was that the new painted bottom (Ultima 60) has zero growth and just a small amount of slime. First year we used Prop Speed and nothingon the prop so far.

Weather is picture perfect with blue sky, a few clouds, and temps in the high 70s. Water temps have also fallen to the low 70s

Dinner tonight is grilled fresh red snapper with grilled peach salsa, roasted golden Mimi potatoes, and a tomato mozzarella salad with Thai vineigrette. Great first day of vacation to Decompress.
PalmettoSailor and 4arch like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1105 of 1316 Old 09-16-2017 Thread Starter

Took a slip at Somers Cove Marina in Crissfield. Very impressive place (( marina) . Tonight is Donna steamed crabs at Lintons as no place in town serves them

Looks like we will get brushed with some winds from Jose Monday / Tuesday but nothing dramatic in the forecast so far.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1106 of 1316 Old 09-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Found Jiffy Pop n Wegmans so we have a few of them too. Led to a discussion of whether to get a popcorn maker. I'm not fond of the air ones. Popcorn tastes love me sawdust. Anyone have one which works on the stove. Looking at thisone.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SABEgIb5fD_BwE
We just use our Magma uncoated stainless pot with a lid and some vegetable oil. Works fine with a shake. Popcorn and rum with water is our standard fare for guests in the Caribbean. If we get fancy, we might even have ice. To the rum.

Good luck with Jose. Looks like Maria is going to hit the Virgin Islands on Tuesday. We've got our bent Beneteau 40 closed up as well as possible. Hopefully the boats won't get pushed around in the boat yard again. We still have friends trying to evacuate from St. Thomas. Not cool.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #1107 of 1316 Old 09-17-2017 Thread Starter

Sailed down to Onancock.cute town to hole up in for a few days. People are very friendly, Jose to act out early tomorrow morning through the day as it passes by offshore. Squalls and breeze conditions expected.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1108 of 1316 Old 09-18-2017 Thread Starter

Onancock historically a very neat town. No streetlights. No nightlife. Business what little there is closed Monday. Nice restaurants.

Dinner at Mallards next to the small marina 17 slips run by the city. Donna has shrimp / Scallop in a rarragon cream sauce . Me.. hickory smoked meatloaf with balsamic burbon reduction. Broccolini and garlic mashed. We took 10 layer Smith Island cake back to the boat for later.

Marina is lovely. Free laundry . 4 individual bathrooms with showers all rebuilt in 2014. This is a great place to stay for a few days and just relax. Price is inexpensive at $1.50 a foot. Ride up the creek was 4+ Winding miles past some very nice homes lining it but well marked.

This AM we walked into "town" and had breakfast in Janet's General Store. Excellent . Donna is a breakfast person and wants to go back tomorrow.

Tonight a friends of ours who live in Salisbury are driving down to meet us for dinner at another local restaurant Bizzottotis. Tomorrow many other interesting restaurants open for dinner including a nice Irish themed pub.

Onancock is a nice stopover if cruising down the eastern shore side and the Tangier Sound

I would omit stopping in Chrisfied unless you need a protected stopover as not only is there nothing to do, the area is run down and unlike other marinas this had major security presence including locked gates and a 24 hour security gaurd. Though they didn't say it (facilities were top notch) I think their is a crime problem as well as the community taking over the marines offerings if it were not gated.

In both places there is protected anchorages . Crissfield off the CG Station . Room for 6-10.
Onancock anchorage by the marina room for 5.
Crissfield dinghy docking fee $10.

We are letting Jose pass us which means tonight and tomorrow. We are basically 40 miles from the Chesapeake Bay entrance to the Atlantic Ocean. Winds will be 35-40 gusting to 50.
The normal tide change is 2.5 to 3 feet. Today and tomorrow the "surge" tide expected at +3 to 4 feet.
Waves on the ocean side (7 miles away) 16-20 feet

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1109 of 1316 Old 09-18-2017

I don't know about Mallard's. I ate there in July. I went for the smoked meatloaf. It sounded great on the menu but I got a large, cold meatball doused in what tasted like sweet and sour from a cheap Chinese buffet. Mashed potatoes were cold too. At least I didn't pay when I sent it back.

Generally we like Onancock a lot and visit every year. The pub is a good place to watch ball games.
post #1110 of 1316 Old 09-18-2017

Onancock sounds like a fun stop, just our speed.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in