2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 122 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1211 of 1316 Old 10-24-2017
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
This last Sunday on the Severn was I think one of the most pleasant sailing days I've ever had. I felt like I should have paid someone to be out there. And my wife didn't even find out I'd spent the day sailing instead of doing whatever it was I was supposed to be doing.
We anchored on the Rhode river Saturday evening with plans to spend Sunday sailing. The wind predictions looked pretty light Sunday so we just motored back to the slip in the morning.

Now Monday afternoon, that was fun. Not too much, not too little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1212 of 1316 Old 10-29-2017

Yesterday morning was an absolutely glorious day on the water. We enjoyed a perfect trip back to the inner harbor from Old Road Bay. Winds piped up as the day went on. Harbor was uncharacteristically busy with both sailboats and power boats. It was a bonus day for sure.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #1213 of 1316 Old 10-29-2017

Dock

Yesterday (28 October) was indeed a beautiful day.

4 boats from Maryland Yacht Club came out for the "MYC Regatta", a pursuit race that took us from Rock Creek Racing Association (RCRA) mark A to RCRA B, then up to Channel Marker R6 inside the Key Bridge, back down to Channel Marker G3, back to RCRA A and finishing at RCRA B.

Lots of breeze -- 15-25 apparent, gusting to 30 -- some big wake/waves, no fog (unlike last Sunday), lots of boats out taking advantage of the moderate temperature and good wind. Boat handled the wind/waves well; a good time was had by all.

Big kids (age 15) did really well with sail trim, younger one (11) stayed below and didn't complain (too loudly) about the amount of heeling ("fun meter" read 20+ a couple of times). Considering that the bigs haven't been crewing on the RCRA Wednesday night races since August when Cross Country practice started, and that other than @punahougirl84 none of us is used to sailing in that much wind, we managed things with aplomb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana

post #1214 of 1316 Old 10-29-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Yesterday was a great sailing day. We sailed up to the Patapsco, back down to the Rhode River and back up to the Magothy River to Eagles next where we anchored for 5he evening. Great wind. This AM some sin as we hung out and are still anchored having a relaxing mornings night of lox , bagels and Kona coffee. It’s 62 out and a little humid with plenty of breeze. You are right it is bonus days.

We will continue sailing for another 6 weeks or so then go through our winterization routine. Haleakula is staying in her slip again this winter.

We’ve ordered a new 135 from Quantum for next year. Our 135 is 16 years old and is showing her age.

Winter projects include,
- Thorough cleaning of the engine compartment
- replacing wind vane on the Raymaine wind instrument
- Thorough cleaning of the anchor compartment which is huge and you can stand in it and pull the locker cover over your head
- inspection of lifelines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1215 of 1316 Old 10-29-2017

Got down but not out yesterday. I spent time cleaning and attempting to fix hatch arm (failed) while family went on a nature hike.
Along with wine n cheese on the PO newer boat it was a lovely day.
2 weeks til haul out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #1216 of 1316 Old 10-30-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Just returned from 4 days and 3 nights of cruising with 13 guys on 4 boats.
The fun meter was pegged the entire time, so I think we need a new meter.

- First night was gumbo and hors d' oeuvres of all sorts with beer and rhum.
- Next morning was scotch eggs, potatoes, juice and coffee.
- Dinner was a seafood buffet at a restaurant.
- The final night, we took over the Lankford Bay Marina pavilion for a huge BBQ. Jerk chicken, gourmet burgers, salads, grilled veg, Rhum, margaritas, etc.
- The final breakfast, my shipmate cook up his homemade breakfast sausage that he ground from a pork shoulder. I make a knee-high stack of pancakes. The rest was a mexican breakfast casserole, and paleo-corned beef hash with coffee and fruit and Bloody Mary's.

The sailing on all 4 days was outstanding. I was furthest away from home, so we really had to hoof it to beat the impending winds and also to get out of the rain.
T37Chef, willyd, oldlaxer1 and 3 others like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #1217 of 1316 Old 10-30-2017

Sounds like a fun trip.

All the best,

Gary
post #1218 of 1316 Old 10-30-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Just returned from 4 days and 3 nights of cruising with 13 guys on 4 boats.
The fun meter was pegged the entire time, so I think we need a new meter.

- First night was gumbo and hors d' oeuvres of all sorts with beer and rhum.
- Next morning was scotch eggs, potatoes, juice and coffee.
- Dinner was a seafood buffet at a restaurant.
- The final night, we took over the Lankford Bay Marina pavilion for a huge BBQ. Jerk chicken, gourmet burgers, salads, grilled veg, Rhum, margaritas, etc.
- The final breakfast, my shipmate cook up his homemade breakfast sausage that he ground from a pork shoulder. I make a knee-high stack of pancakes. The rest was a mexican breakfast casserole, and paleo-corned beef hash with coffee and fruit and Bloody Mary's.

The sailing on all 4 days was outstanding. I was furthest away from home, so we really had to hoof it to beat the impending winds and also to get out of the rain.
My type of menu. Great weather too

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1219 of 1316 Old 11-04-2017

Just got home from a full day sailing the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay. The winds were perfect until about 3 p.m., then died out completely - the calm before the storm. While my two friends and I were sailing, I grilled some sweet Italian sausage on the boat's gas grill, and sauteed some sweet Vidalia onions and peppers in the galley, baked some fresh biscuits in the boat's oven, mixed up some garlic butter and served everything to the crew piping hot. It has always amazed me as to just how much better those meals taste when you're out sailing.

Shortly after getting back to the marina, the wind kicked up to about 35 MPH, which made me glad is was safely tied up and the boat was buttoned up tight for the night. My friend, Piotr, who is from Poland, invited us over to his boat where he prepared supper, which was fantastic, smoked Polish Kielbasa and red cabbage sauteed in a special sauce that his mother taught him how to cook when he was a youngster in Poland. He also served up some fresh, Polish bread. Oh my that was a sumptuous dinner, washed down with some dark rum over ice.

Though it was difficult for me to climb around the boat, I was able to accomplish everything that needed to be done, including raise an 80-pound sail up the mast and dock the boat under windy conditions against a strong tide. By the time I finally got into the van to drive home, I had to fire up my portable oxygen generator.

Now, as I sit here typing this, I'm sipping on a glass of Jim Bean Honey Bourbon over ice and loving life.

Live life to the fullest my friends, you only get to go around once,

Gary
post #1220 of 1316 Old 11-04-2017

Wow, you've already done all that, and it's not even noon yet!

Please PM me Piotr's contact info (or at least his last name). I met him at one of your parties a few years ago. I know he lives about a mile from me in Milmont Park, but I don't know how to reach him. Is he still on his C30, or has he changed boats?

Have you pulled your boat off the market?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in