2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 1316 Old 02-20-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

oldlaxer1,

If the engine is an A4, carb problems usually result from the float valve and float position. More often than not, once you get it set properly, they tend to stay in place for years, but it could take multiple tries before you hit the sweet spot. The other problem tends to be the flame arrestor screen gets plugged with crud. I have cleaned mine several times which has always made a huge difference. It get plugged with exhaust oils from the crankcase vent and cleans up well using denatured alcohol.

Good luck,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 1316 Old 02-20-2017

Thanks Gary. She ran great all last season and the only change I made was the Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders for winterization. I too keep my flame arrestor clean as my access is really good. (reminds me of how my father used to look for errant golf shots...he always said, "let's look over here, it's much easier than over there in that crap". I wonder why he went thru so many golf balls!)
Anyhow, most of the experts recommend taking the carb off over the winter and cleaning it. I took a chance and just like my luck with the lottery, I lost. I have a fuel pressure gauge just before the carb and it was showing normal fuel pressure so I'm pretty confident it is a partially plugged main jet. My rebuild will have the adjustable main jet which makes cleaning significantly easier.
Thanks for the input. Hope you're feeling good and enjoying the lack of snow!
John

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #143 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My first sail of the season was on 1/1/17 on my Laser!
[IMG]DSC_0194 copy[/IMG]
You HAVE a Laser? I saw the photos of the racing but didn't realize you were part of that. So jealous! I haven't sailed one in a million years - mine got donated to the junior sailing program I'd been a part of and then taught. Sigh.

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

post #144 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017

Hi All! I know I fell off the board - had three big projects last fall, many kid things happening with twins who became freshmen and had cross country, marching band, big projects of their own... and then my dad fell, didn't tell anyone, didn't break anything but got sick due to infection so I flew to Iowa and spent more than two weeks recently with him in the ICU, the regular med floor at the hospital, and then time in the skilled nursing wing of a different facility. 14-16 hours a day each day. It was hard, and he is doing better, but I may have to go back. Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

I did get to spend some time while he slept on the computer, mostly working on my research for taking care of our iron keel. I think I have all my notes ready for that project, and the bottom paint. I have notes for other projects - this week continues to look good for doing boat maintenance.

The people doing our rig said our roller furler needs replacing. I got to the yard on Sunday (so many people working on their boats in the beautiful weather!) to examine the damage - am hoping to repair or get a new part machined (suggested by someone who worked with furlers and does this kind of work though would not be the person doing it). If not, I guess the new furler is what will happen.

We saw a lot of boats coming in to Rock Creek on Sunday, including people sailing - I admit to being jealous! But relieved that so far, knock wood, it's been an easy winter. I know timing bottom painting is tricky based on temperatures, but I recall painting several J-22 bottoms as it snowed on us... First up, getting materials and ready for prep! Meanwhile, I can clean stains off the hull, and clean the bilge and coat the keel bolts. And there's an area of gelcoat repair I need to get on (I guess the PO didn't believe in fenders, and the beamiest bit on our portside got messed up). I watched a couple videos and it looks pretty easy.

Happy 2017!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #145 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Sorry to hear of your trials, but at least all of that happened during the winter time and not the height of sailing season.
I hope your dad recovers completely.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #146 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Sorry to hear of your trials, but at least all of that happened during the winter time and not the height of sailing season.
I hope your dad recovers completely.
Thank you. The timing was extremely lucky - mostly empty calendar except for some dr appts which we rescheduled. My MIL, bless her, had expiring miles that she used to get my tickets. Jon adjusted his work schedule, the twins walk home then walk to pick up their brother at elementary school. They do tons of chores to help the house run - I'm so grateful for all the support.

My dad is why I sail. He started as a teen, took us out as kids, got us in sailing class - he drove me every Saturday morning for years. He got me my Laser. I can never thank him enough and would do anything to support him, even if it meant endless laps for water and constant pillow adjustments to help in the hospital bed. We took him on our boat (which he approved of and was impressed with) last June but there was no air. I so hope he gets back to himself so we can take him sailing this season. He's almost finished renovating a house (he took a trashed house and his vision transformed it into something beautiful) - I was helping with those errands while there.

I got to come home just in time for my younger son's birthday. And now the weather is good for some boat work. Then if I go back to help, at least I'll feel I have a plan in place.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

post #147 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017
美國佬

I think I'm getting old. I was down working on my boat on Sunday and there was a guy on a paddle board making his way to windward in a fresh breeze with great difficulty, wearing only shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt with a dog in front of him, and I walked to the end of the pier and asked him if he knew the water temperature was only 42 degrees. I think he thought I was going to give him some praise, and he responded as though I was being silly. I see paddle boarders out in open water every spring when the air temperature suddenly shoots up abnormally and they never seem to wear any kind of wetsuit. This guy had his life jacket sitting on the board in front of the dog. But maybe his wife's boyfriend paid for the board, I don't know.
chef2sail, OldEagle and AJC506 like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #148 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017

Quote:
But maybe his wife's boyfriend paid for the board
^^This^^

This never gets old: http://https://vimeo.com/4534662
willyd likes this.

Last edited by OldEagle; 02-21-2017 at 04:28 PM.
post #149 of 1316 Old 02-21-2017

Willy, with water temperatures at a brisk 42 degrees if he fell off the board, he would last about 12 minutes before hypothermia set in and killed him. Not a very bright thing to do at any age. For me, I AM old and from my perspective any temperature lower than my age is the dead of winter.

Good luck,

Gary
willyd likes this.
post #150 of 1316 Old 02-23-2017

New adjustable main jet and all is well...except we may have missed the awesome weather window.
Attached Thumbnails
VideoToGif_1487904602.05184.gif  

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in