SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

126K views 1K replies 51 participants last post by  oldlaxer1 
#1 ·
New thread for the new year. Can one of the mods please make it a sticky

Happy New Year to all our friends who ply the Chessi.e. And have a great sailing year.
Now who's the first one out?

#675 ·
Willy, this weekend's nasty weather forecast may have something to do with the lack of boating activity on the bay. An hour ago, here in Bel Air, the sky was black and gloomy, and now, the clouds have lightened, scattered and there are some patches of bright blue showing. Down south, though, they got hammered in some locations with thunderboomers for the past three days. Same holds true for the PA and NJ guys.

BTW, you will find some great white perch fishing just a few hundred feet downriver from the bridge on the north side in about 10 feet of water. Lots of big catfish there at times as well.

Be safe out there,

Gary :cool:

#676 ·
Two 19 miles tacks against a 30 knot breeze and we pulled into The Town Marina in Cape Charles. Ride as a tough one with 4 ft seas 5 second interval.

Down by the Cape there were no less than 15 freighters/ tankers anchored and moving. Thank god for AIS and radar as you couldn't tell easily who was moving.

Nice quaint little town. Donna is out reconnointering and we're having dinner at the local restaurant here. Probably breakfast tomorrow too.

Time for a nap....

#677 ·
Dave, I spent a lot of time in that town, remember when I first went there in about 1950 when it was a rundown fishing village and the only industry was the railroad yard and seafood. Things have really changed for the better there, though some of the old timers may not agree with me about that.

Way back when there was a restaurant, one of maybe three in the town at the time, call Etzes Restaurant. That was about 1970. They sold a 2-poudn serving of sauteed backfin crab meat, plus french fries and hush puppies for $7. It was a gastronomical adventure to say the least. I can clearly remember the waitress scampering from table to table barefooted and the bottom of her feet were black as coal with dirt and grease from the kitchen. OMG!

Captain Otis Asal, who is still alive and kicking, at that time, run a charter fishing boat out of Kings Creek Marina. He later sold his boat to the guy that owned the local tackle shop, retired for a few years, then bought another boat and went back to fishing. He's still fishing today and I think he's in his early 80s. Otis had a reputation of the best tuna catching captain in the mid Atlantic region.

Wind was howling about 35 in the upper bay today, kicking up 2 footers with white caps at Port Deposit, which is very, very rare indeed. I drove up to the boat to get some part numbers for my electric water heater element so I can get it replaced in the next few weeks. The mechanic said the replacement job was a piece of cake, at least for him, because Mario is skinny and can easily access the engine compartment. I'm too old, fat and claustrophobic to climb into that space.

Have a safe trip back,

#678 ·
We re-launched Echoes after getting the shaft and prop straightened & tuned and back from the prop shop. The shaft was 0.0007" off and the prop had two blades that were 1/4" off. Saturday's test run was a success with most of the vibration at 2200-2400 rpm gone. We can now hit our cruising speed without fear! Zimmerman Marine will do the in-water engine alignment this week and that should smooth things out a bit more.

Looking back, I still don't know the cause of the vibration developing. Survey and delivery to Zimmerman Marine Mathews, VA had no vibration issues. Engine mounts and shims were replaced during the winter refit. The prop was painted with antifouling before launch and the paint was intact when we picked her up from the Mathews yard for delivery to Herrington Harbor North. We detected the vibration immediately when moving her and kept the engine below 2,000rpm. Zimmerman tried engine alignment with/without the drive saver, with vibration being worse with the drive saver. We removed the drive saver as Steve Zimmerman believed that it left too much of the drive shaft unsupported. Still, a bit of mystery to me why the vibration began. Something is missing. I have not yet seen the report from the prop shop.

Cheers, RickG

#681 ·
You can't say you had a "great" day working on the boat so I'll just say I had a very successful day tacking some boat tasks yesterday. I finished the install and cleaned up wiring for my new deck wash down pump so I won't get covered in mud for the rest of the season when we weigh anchor.

Next I noticed my brand new started battery was showing pretty low on the meter so I disconnected it and put it on a smart charger I keep around the house. Interestingly that charger showed the battery in pretty decent state of charge so I started trouble shooting. I just put this battery in a few weeks ago and it wouldn't start the engine without help from the house batteries. Some checking with the multimeter showed I was having a nearly 5 volt drop on the ground cable between the battery terminal and a central grounding lug about 6' away. The terminals look a bit corroded but not really terrible but the meter said the cable was in bad shape so I ran up to WM and crimped up a new one and viola, engine cranks over hard with just the started battery now. 2 tasks down!

So next I start looking for a pesky leak in my fresh water system. I knew it was leaking since the start of the season as I'd hear the pump kick on but I couldn't find the source, so we just been turning the pump off when we didn't need running water. With some wiggling, and blindly feeling around, I found a small leak on the pump itself which was fixed with a quarter turn of the fitting. The larger leak was on the hose connecting to the water heater where I had a mis-placed hose clamp during recommissioning . Moving the clamp bit further up the barb solved that and the pump didn't kick on again in the next hour so I know the system is holding pressure now.

Lastly, in messing with the batteries I cut power to my media player/FM radio. The cockpit speaker on that unit hadn't been working since late last season when I thought I might have accidentally hit them with the power washer. I messed with them last weekend and got nothing but some muddy noise so I ordered replacements from Amazon. For some miraculous reason they started working fine when the radio was powered back up. I didn't even know it. I was down below reprogramming the unit when my wife came back from the car and said I might want to turn the volume down as it was blaring in the cockpit. I check and sure enough they sound like brand new. My replacements are due Wednesday. LOL I guess I'll hang on to the and try the old one again as they may crap out again but it seemed I had the "Midas touch" yesterday.

#682 ·
For Fathers day my wife, #2 son and I had a nice brunch in Canton at Mama's on the Half Shell and then we had a beautiful sail on the Patapsco. Not hot, plenty of breeze. Dropped my son off at the Rusty Scupper so he could walk up the hill to his house. Admiral and I took another lap it was so nice out.

#683 ·
Waiting for giant T storm to psss through to walk over to Kelly's Gingernut Pub for some authentic Irish good . Hard to believe to find it here but we will see.

Good about staying here. Inexpensive 1.50 per foot. Nice accommodating people. Great showers. Floating docks . Great for traveling but you know how I feel as a permanent slip. Lots of great places to eat. Friendly to tourists. Only bad, the rolly slips.
Even with a breakwater there is a lot of motion at the docks. Couple boats sawed through lines. Long (45 ft) fInger piers. Bring fenders , large ones, ask for a tie to them in the wLee of the wind. Prevailing here is a S/ SW

Views are spectacular except for the concrete plant. Was a good stopover where we didn't expect much.

Tomorrow we are heading back accross to Myer Creek, Corotoman River, on the Rappahanock River
To anchor, the. Around the corner to Fishing Bay on the the Piankatank River.the next day We decided to wait to revisit Yorktown till our September trip.

After that 2 days on Indian Creek at Kilmarnock Ward at a marina. Will need some fresh fruit and veggies by then.

#684 ·
Yankee Point on Myer Creek is my home port. I'm going to be there tomorrow and Wednesday doing some boat maintenance. If you are interested, I could probably get you a ride into town. PM me if you want my contact info.

Your posts have been entertaining me for a few years now, so I'm happy to do you a favor if I'm able.

#686 ·
Thank you for the kind words and offer. Yankee Point looks like a top notch place to keep a boat. That area is very nice and so many option close by on the Rappahanack and Piankatink let alone all the northern neck creeks

If we in fact anchor there I will look you up.

#685 ·
Both kids and I got a later than expected start Friday, but were in time to arrive at the boat with a little daylight left and proceeded to make the inside as messy as possible. Kids seemed to sleep like logs. I seemed to sleep like I do when I'm camping - badly.
Finally flushed and filled the water tanks Saturday morning after a lovely breakfast at Java Rock.
When we got out on the water it was choppier than I have seen it, but the kids enjoyed the mini roller coaster.
If anyone saw a boat badly tacking with just a jib between 260 and 120 deg, that was probably me, practicing. Definitely easier by the 10th tack.
After a further motor south, I was halfway getting the mainsail up before one of the crew complained about seasickness, so we turned it around.
Docking is getting slightly easier too. It's undocking that's giving me more trouble.
I replaced the stereo while kids enjoyed the AC of the marina reading room.
To anyone in the marina who heard Whole Lotta Rosie blaring out for the stereo christening, I truly apologize. :)

#687 ·
I enjoyed a nice visit your Chesapeake this past weekend arriving in the Annapolis area on Friday afternoon and overnighting at our dock off of Mill Creek (not far from Cantler's).
On Saturday the winds were modest from the S/SE allowing us to tack down to the South River and into Harness Creek (Mr. Skolnick lives somewhere on this beautiful inlet).
We were lucky, arriving on a Friday to only find one other sailboat anchored there where we would have preferred to be, but they were there first, and they seemingly had a full clear cockpit enclosure and perhapse water cooled AC. We anchored closer to the reedy sand bar that separates this gunk/hurricane hole from the main creek. This must have been my 5th or more overnight in Harness Creek and it has always been nice.
It was pretty warm but the wind ran most of the night making sleeping in the cockpit an option which is always memorable, until dew starts to set in. Then you appreciate a cabin, out of the dew.
Sunday broke still windy. As we motored back out of the South River I calculated that we were close to SCA warnings, with 20+ gusts (and more out on the bay). Our return sail out on the bay was quick if boisterous, requiring at least a jib reduction (I'd have preferred a reef 1st) with the S'erly winds causing some nice Chesapeake rollers we could only try and surf. Buzzing Thomas Point Light is always fun even if the boat is rocking and yawing while a shot glass broke below (who has shot glasses on sailboats?).
We had very nice weather Friday - Monday morning when I left early for my drive back to NY, racing the rain clouds up the coast. The heavy rain arrived hours after I had parked at home.
Lots of birds noted: ducklings, baby Osprey, pre-historic Blue Herons and all the usual suspects. Great visit for me - sorry I did not run into any of you.

#690 ·
sounds like you had a nice trip on the bay sorry we missed you.

I was driving westbound on the Bay Bridge about 2:30 and saw a sailboat that had landed just north of the Bay Bridge on the shore not far from the jetty. It appears the sails were shredded... I did not see any persons aboard but there was a police boat on scene looking like they were waiting for a tow boat? Did anyone hear anything about this I hope no one was injured or worse.

#689 ·
Gary/G-stud,

I thought you kept your Morgan OI up near the Susquehanna?
Were you sojourning about the mid-Chessy about the same time?
We never got north of the Bay bridge.
Hope you were out travlin-easy in the mid-Chesapeake area. We had decent winds on Sat and stronger winds on Sunday but was a blast.
Wish I'd have known we were that close to you though.

#691 ·
Cranking up from Cape Charles. At 7.5 in about 18 knots on a beam reach toward Windmill Point. 11 large tankers anchored at rage mouth of the Chesapeake. We had a clear view of the bridge part of the Bay Bridge Tunnel when we left and had a quick debate whether to go for Cape May as the winds were perfect for the next 36 hours but decided to stay within the Bays confines.

My statement to Donna was we would " have to motor the Delaware River with the green heads" and although she loves Cape May, that quip decided it. We have had no lack of wind the whole trip so far. In the Cape Charles town marina last night we saw stead 40 gust to 55 for about 3 hours before the T storms heralding the front passage hit us. Then we had a " railroad car track" of continual storms along the front dropping 3.4 inches of radar n in 6 hours according to the radio this AM.

Last night a family from the Sassafrass pulled in with an old 50 + Valiant in poor condition. Grandparents kids, grandkids, we saw 8 pile off the boat. When I walked by I noticed the Teak deck was in very poor condition as were the hatches. I can only imagine how many leaks occurred last night. Between the rIn and the wind any leak would have showed its face.

We had a good time in Cape Charles. It seems if you want wind constantly, that's the place to go with the alternating SW and sea breeze from the S and SE there.

So we have started heading north slightly. Should make the 30 mikes to The Rappahanock in 4 hours. That's moving for Haleakula.

#692 ·
Excellent sailing in the Upper Bay today, winds varied in direction, ranging from 12 to 20 with a few higher gusts. Temperature never got above 82 on the water, and about 87 at the marina. Only had to run the engine for about 4 miles because of heavy barge and tug traffic in the Havre de Grace Canal.

I'll try to post some video later,

#696 ·
Thanks guys. Hope I can get out again next week for a few days. The weather for the rest of today sucks, a front passing through with associated rain. No wind forecast for tomorrow, but NOAA only forcasted 5 to 10 from the southwest yesterday, so what the Hell do they know? Pretty high percentage of rain Friday and Saturday, then again on Monday, so I guess I will wait till next Wednesday to deliver the smoked fish from the decks of Saturday's Child. ;)

All the best,

#697 ·
Heading up to Rock Hall Friday - weather be damned, the only weekend my "troublesome teens" will be away and we can reasonably expect the house to still be standing when we get back. Saturday anchoring up in Bush River and take advantage of the wind shift out of the North for a light air run back to Annapolis on Sunday.
Any anchoring advice in the Bush River? I know going ashore is prohibited.

Rich
sv Surprise
T34C

#698 ·
Never been in Bush very far. Lots of powerboat wakes and a bridge a fair way up the river as well as cables to avoid when anchoring.

When going north we usually opted for Worton Creek or Still Pond. Quieter and more scenic.

I would suggest the Chester even.

#699 ·
We're heading out Friday for the weekend then back out for the week on Monday until Thursday or Friday with my girls. Hopefully winds will be good for sailing South!

This week has been great for sailing but we had to do some pool time... mandatory agenda per my crew ;)

#700 ·
Yesterday we opted to go to Fishing Bay and today two days at Indian Creek at the Chesapeake Boat Basin.

Nice place with salt water pool, $1.40 with Boat US , fuel , pumpout, courtesy car to replenish produce.

Sits next to a Corn processing plant for corn flakes which only makes noise in Sept/ Oct.

Found some local food places ....very average to be kind. People very friendly. Nice having AC today

#703 ·
If winds are west anchor inside just past Worton Creek . Not sure of draft but it's 6 ft for a small stretch. Great wind protection and nice setting lots of hawks and we've spotted bald eagles there and on the outside. Watch the birds line up on the picket fence of the fish traps and fight each other for spots all morning

If you stay in the outside anchorage:

If winds NW you should get good protection from northern shore of outside anchoring area. Depths are good close to shore

That's where we like to anchor but sometimes if the wind is wrong, even on a begnign breeze day it can get rolls because of the fetch

It won't be SW that day, but if the winds SW we anchor on the south side close to shore west of the R2

#705 ·
Currently at Smith Point , southern side of the Potomac crossing over going north in very begnign conditions. The forecast was for strong southerly winds the next two days gusts to 37 so we decided to cross today even though we wouldn't be beating into it.

We've decided the Potomac has its own weather conditions and the wave action sucks, especially when wind against current it becomes a dishwasher. We may stop at Solomon's or continue to the Choptank which is a good haul from the Rappahanack.

Conditions perfect starting Later on Saturday for T37 trip south down the Bay.

#706 ·
Currently at Smith Point , southern side of the Potomac crossing over going north in very begnign conditions. The forecast was for strong southerly winds the next two days gusts to 37 so we decided to cross today even though we wouldn't be beating into it.

We've decided the Potomac has its own weather conditions and the wave action sucks, especially when wind against current it becomes a dishwasher. We may stop at Solomon's or continue to the Choptank which is a good haul from the Rappahanack.

Conditions perfect starting Later on Saturday for T37 trip south down the Bay.
You've got that right.

I have a friend who lives down there and he insists on purchasing much smaller headsails than you'd expect for someone who sails on the Chesapeake in the summer. I've razzed him about this many times, but when I look at Sailflow, he is almost always getting stronger breezes than many places on the bay. I can't fault his choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.