2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 18 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 1316 Old 03-04-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Willy, I just think about how nice that boat will be now that a caring owner has it.
You have a genuine affinity for the design that overrides any of the boat's shortcomings.

It's little wonder that yacht builders are going out of business with wingnuts like us resuscitating long-gone boats.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 1316 Old 03-04-2017
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Willy, I just think about how nice that boat will be now that a caring owner has it.
You have a genuine affinity for the design that overrides any of the boat's shortcomings.

It's little wonder that yacht builders are going out of business with wingnuts like us resuscitating long-gone boats.
This is why we can never meet. You're in for too much of a shock when you see the quality of repairs I make. After my recoring of the deck, it's uneven enough to be used as part of a putt-putt golf course.

Re: your second comment, I considered getting a different boat when I found the deck and bulkheads were bad, but there's really nothing that I could afford that would really replace it. Just about the only boat I've looked at and regretted not getting was a one-off 26' wooden sloop called New Moon designed by Thomas Gillmer that was up for auction at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum a few years ago, but at 10,000 lbs, it probably wouldn't have been much fun to sail on the Severn.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 03-04-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: misspelled simple words
post #173 of 1316 Old 03-04-2017

Quote:
I resemble that remark

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

post #174 of 1316 Old 03-05-2017

There is something very satisfying about restoring a boat to good order. Today on Kaimana we were getting barnacle crud off the prop, starting the process of sanding down the rudder, and I was putting together the second winch I took apart to clean - I don't think anyone had worked on these winches for EONS. So much dirt and crud and caked grease.

I've never done maintenance on winches before, but a guy I raced with showed me how to break one down - I didn't realize how easy this would be. Or so I thought. Break it down, bring the parts home, clean them, take them back to the boat, clean the part attached to the deck, oil and grease lightly as appropriate, and put back together. This worked perfectly for the first two.

Today I started on winch three, the self-tailer for the mainsheet. It was installed with one of the gear sets facing the companionway so I was unable to get the gears out of the winch on that side. Total pain. I guess I have to remove the entire mechanism from the boat. We took down headliner down below to be able to access the nuts... but before we do anything I'll show the guys at the yard where we are at. If all else fails, I need to make sure I get the right caulk, and figure out how to get this part off the deck as it must be caulked or something. Big sigh. I'm really hoping none of the other winches were installed wrong (or what appears wrong to my eyes).

It's amazing how well the winches work when they aren't filled with years of dirt and clumps of congealed grease. At least two are done, but eight to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #175 of 1316 Old 03-06-2017
Chastened

Sailboat winches are so durable and reliable that we tend to take them for granted. They just keep working and the degradation is so slow that we rarely notice it until they really start to bind up.

My primaries probably hadn't been serviced in literally, a decade. 42's are frigging expensive so I'm glad I serviced them this winter before something broke.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Last edited by Ajax_MD; 03-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #176 of 1316 Old 03-06-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

I've started to clean my winches for the first time since buying the boat 5 years ago... I doubt the PO did any servicing, so let's say... before he bought it in 2007 is likely when it was last done.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #177 of 1316 Old 03-06-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
This is why we can never meet. You're in for too much of a shock when you see the quality of repairs I make. After my recoring of the deck, it's uneven enough to be used as part of a putt-putt golf course.

Re: your second comment, I considered getting a different boat when I found the deck and bulkheads were bad, but there's really nothing that I could afford that would really replace it. Just about the only boat I've looked at and regretted not getting was a one-off 26' wooden sloop called New Moon designed by Thomas Gillmer that was up for auction at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum a few years ago, but at 10,000 lbs, it probably wouldn't have been much fun to sail on the Severn.
Bah. I'm a hack, too. Be careful you don't put your foot through my cabin sole when you visit. The PO let it rot out and I haven't replaced it yet.

In other news, this Sunday (March 12th) is forecast to get 1 - 3 inches of snow and a low temp of 28F.

Give me strength.

post #178 of 1316 Old 03-06-2017

Quote:
Bah. I'm a hack, too. Be careful you don't put your foot through my cabin sole when you visit. The PO let it rot out and I haven't replaced it yet.

In other news, this Sunday (March 12th) is forecast to get 1 - 3 inches of snow and a low temp of 28F.

Give me strength.
I made a special trip to re-winterize the raw water side of the motor on Friday based on the forecasted temps. Looks like it will be a while before we're sailing again. damn.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
post #179 of 1316 Old 03-06-2017

Smart move - it got down to 25 here, which would be cold enough to bust something open if not winterized.

Gary
post #180 of 1316 Old 03-09-2017

Now this is getting ridiculous!
If this forecast holds true, the damn boom tent is going back on.

Foot's Forecast

And this:
http://www.footsforecast.org/2017/03...usly.html#more
willyd likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in