2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Gary,

I'm assuming you have the typical Edson steering gear with an SS tubing "guard" in front of the wheel pedestal.
Can't you drill an exit hole in your wheel pedestal guard and fish the wire up through the tubing? That would seem better than disturbing the core in the cockpit sole.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017

No room inside the pedistal for the cable. There are three cables in there now, and access is not good. I'm not really worried about drilling a hole through the cockpit sole, and I know a great technique for sealing the hole, something I learned in the US Navy when I was a kid.

All the best,

Gary
post #203 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
No room inside the pedistal for the cable. There are three cables in there now, and access is not good. I'm not really worried about drilling a hole through the cockpit sole, and I know a great technique for sealing the hole, something I learned in the US Navy when I was a kid.

All the best,

Gary
One problem with running the NMEA 2K cable through the cockpit sole is the size of the connector requires a pretty big hole. There are field attachable ends, they require a bit of precision soldering - 4 wires plus the shield.
Mainesail has a nice tutorial on running the cable up the SS guard (not the pedestal), it does not require removing and reattaching the stock NMEA connectors
chef2sail likes this.

post #204 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
One problem with running the NMEA 2K cable through the cockpit sole is the size of the connector requires a pretty big hole. There are field attachable ends, they require a bit of precision soldering - 4 wires plus the shield.
Mainesail has a nice tutorial on running the cable up the SS guard (not the pedestal), it does not require removing and reattaching the stock NMEA connectors
That's how I'd did all my connections through the tubes of the pedestal , however I ran out of room also like Gary has. so I bought a 1.5 ss tube cut it to the appropriate length, bought one of the pedestal holder tube feet , sealed it to the deck between the other two Pedestal guard feet, drilled the hole through the deck. Top of the tube has a rubber grommet so no sharp edge or water leaking in to it. This way the cable is neat and tidy. I eventually ran my ram mic through this too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #205 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017

It's very easy to do when you utilize the method I learned more than a half century ago. Using a hole saw, one with a pilot drill that same size as the wire, and the saw large enough to allow the connector to pass through the opening, you cut the hole. This leaves you with a plug with a hole in the center. Next, clamp the plug in a vise, then using a hacksaw with a fine blade, cut the plug in half. Now you can clamp the two halves of the plug around the wire and epoxy the plug back into the original opening. I also added some 5200 around the wire just to be on the safe side. In the Navy, we had to contend with steel, and used a rubber gasket to seal the wire hole. The plug was welded in place in the deck using a wire fed welder. Never had one leak yet.

All the best,

Gary
scratchee and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
post #206 of 1316 Old 03-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
...Mainesail has a nice tutorial on running the cable up the SS guard (not the pedestal), it does not require removing and reattaching the stock NMEA connectors
Could you post a link please? I couldn't find it on either of his websites. It's relevant to me because I need to run a new RAM mic to my helm.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #207 of 1316 Old 03-18-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Sad to see, Willy. I was hoping to see that boat sitting in a quiet cove surrounded by coconut palms and sugar white sand - NOT SNOW!

Gary
Gary, I don't drink, but I know you always offer everyone those green coconut margaritas to everyone.

Just found something that I think would compliment your drinks.
A low-carb, coconut cheesecake.

Just made it last night and I'll tell you... this recipe is a keeper and it won't last very long.

http://i.imgur.com/lD1r25K.jpg

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #208 of 1316 Old 03-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Could you post a link please? I couldn't find it on either of his websites. It's relevant to me because I need to run a new RAM mic to my helm.
Chart Plotter Mount For Edson Pedestals Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

drilling the stainless tube is at the top of page two. I made a similar mount using the McMaster-Carr clamp collars. Mine is a box instead of a shelf, at the top the ram mic wire exits the tube inside the box and connects to the back of the socket. At the bottom the cable runs through the deck inside the tube.
post #209 of 1316 Old 03-18-2017

Like I said, I already have three wires in the SS tube - no room left for the NMEA 2000 cable and plug to pass through. I'll shoot some photos and post them of the job when I do the installation.

All the best,

Gary
post #210 of 1316 Old 03-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Unless you have some reason to run wiring from your VHF to the pedestal (maybe an AIS-capable VHF?) you might locate your RAM inside the cockpit coaming. The thumbnail below shows where I located mine. The microphone clip is mounted where my old wheel pilot control unit used to be. Below that is the RAM connector, to the left of the shore power connector. The other connector is a 12V connector for a sealed beam spotlight.

It was a lot easier running the wiring to this location than up the guard tubes, which have lots of wires already: low and high speed busses, AP wiring, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
SeaScape RAM mike locations-110327.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in