2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 30 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 1316 Old 04-07-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Rich - I just dropped a few UY2 connectors in the mail to you.

As I mentioned before, the UY2s did not work for splicing my wires together. They are great for the appropriate wires, because you don't need to strip off any insulation.

I just ordered a couple of these terminal blocks to try next (8 screw version, not the 10 screw that's shown):

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...key651-1751303

They're made to solder into PCBs, but I'll just put some liquid electrical tape over the solder pins to prevent short circuiting. I'll have to strip the tips of each wire pair, then put them into each hole and screw down to hold them together. We'll see if that works. Not marine grade, but it's the only thing I can come up with at this point.
I've run into a very puzzling problem with the wires that I'm trying to splice. I created a new topic for it so as not to continue the thread drift here. I'd appreciate your comments:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...t-conduct.html

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Lots of wind this am. Left the slip and flew beam reached with only a furled 135 and no jib doing 6+ knots with a dirty bottom. Beautiful sunny day and warmed up by 3 to 65.

Before we left we replaced all the gaskets in our 33 year hatches. Was actually pretty easy.

Anchored up in Maynadier Creek up the Severn and enjoyed a big bowl of homemade matzo ball soup and brisket I made at home. Still testing out all the systems.

After next weekend of sailing Haleakula gets lift out and bottom painted with Petit Ultima 60 a great paint. Our has lasted 3 years . Bottom Paint is not the place we decide to go economy.

We will also take the opportunity to polish the hull. We use Mainsails method to the T and have great results in the past.

Another beautiful day forecasted tomorrow.nothing like waking up and enjoying coffee at anchor.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #293 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Back at the barn. Lazy sail down the Severn to the Bay and then a few tacks across and back. We sailed the length of the Severn with only 2 other boats seen till we hit the Academy.

Seriously beautiful idellic weather and sky. Wind was light but we were able to move. WArmed up quickly to 70 after a early morning chill of 49.

Just like we enjoy the bonus October days, we love early spring. The advantage of keeping the boat in the water means we don't have to wait in line behind others who have blocked us in. Once we get Haleakula ready ...and dewinterize we can start the sailing season.

Breakfast was lox and bagels with Konya coffee And grilled golden pineapple. We had the creek to ourselves with spring/ summer birds all around us and two very active woodpeckers banging away.
willyd and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #294 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017
美國佬

I got out today on the Severn and saw no sails at all. The wind and weather were perfect.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #295 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Dan, if you can sing and play the keyboard, I could find you more work than you could handle. You just need to be able to meet those two prerequisites first.

Good luck,

Gary
Thanks Gary, but I haven't played any musical instrument very well and my singing is limited to when I'm alone driving down the road... where no one can hear me.

Thanks for the offer but I think I need to keep looking.
fallard and travlin-easy like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #296 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017

Unfortunately, the mighty Susquehanna River is a sea of mud strewn with debris from Conowingo Dam. The power company opened about 4 flood gates this past week, which dumps huge quantities of flotsam into the river and upper bay. Much of this consists of driftwood ranging in size from sticks the diameter of your forearm to logs the size of telephone polls - stuff that could really damage your boat. Consequently, the marina decided to not launch my boat until later this coming week - just to be on the safe side.

All the best,

Gary
oldlaxer1 and fallard like this.
post #297 of 1316 Old 04-09-2017

Got down to boat today to do hull waxing.
Like the guy said after he flew from LA to Boston, "boy are my arms tired"

2 more weeks....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #298 of 1316 Old 04-10-2017

The admiral was away for the weekend and I was planning on doing some work and getting some sail time in. Unfortunately I had a bit of a foot problem and could barely walk so I decided it wasn't safe to sail so I chose to just hobble around the boat doing the things I could. Installed a new fume sniffer with automatic blower relay. Re-commissioned the fresh water tank for the season. Replaced the zinc in the heat exchanger. Lubed the mainsail track. Cleaned up some wiring around the motor and put it in a loom. Watched some masters golf. Might have had a beer or two.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #299 of 1316 Old 04-10-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
The admiral was away for the weekend and I was planning on doing some work and getting some sail time in. Unfortunately I had a bit of a foot problem and could barely walk so I decided it wasn't safe to sail so I chose to just hobble around the boat doing the things I could. Installed a new fume sniffer with automatic blower relay. Re-commissioned the fresh water tank for the season. Replaced the zinc in the heat exchanger. Lubed the mainsail track. Cleaned up some wiring around the motor and put it in a loom. Watched some masters golf. Might have had a beer or two.
Sorry about the foot problem, hope it gets some better. I'm up in New York and can't get to Baltimore this week. Yesterday it was sunny with a nice breeze here and it made me really want to be out! I flew over Baltimore Monday on the way to see grandkids in Michigan and didn't see a single sail out. Well, that will change soon! Hope to get down there and get Pendragon commissioned next week.
chef2sail likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #300 of 1316 Old 04-10-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I got out today on the Severn and saw no sails at all. The wind and weather were perfect.
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Maybe everyone was doing their pre-launch work?

I spent Saturday supervising our club's "Fitting Out Day" where we clean up the house and grounds and rig our club boats for the season.
After that, I spent the bulk of the rest of the weekend demolishing and removing a Bradford pear tree that was threatening to come down on the house. Sunday afternoon was spent hosting the CHESSS Open House and Social in Annapolis.

I'm leaving work shortly to go sailing for the rest of the day.
...and maybe tomorrow.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in