2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 32 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #311 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

The admiral invited guests for a sail this weekend...and neither of them are boaters. Naturally the winds are predicted to be strong enough that we'll probably have to reef down to a handkerchief in order to keep them comfortable. Damn the luck...

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
The admiral invited guests for a sail this weekend...and neither of them are boaters. Naturally the winds are predicted to be strong enough that we'll probably have to reef down to a handkerchief in order to keep them comfortable. Damn the luck...
I'm sorry, were you just b1tching about going sailing on your boat? On Easter weekend when most people are locked up on shore, with annoying family? Could be worse, ya know.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #313 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I'm sorry, were you just b1tching about going sailing on your boat? On Easter weekend when most people are locked up on shore, with annoying family? Could be worse, ya know.
Guilty as charged....

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

post #314 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Looks like 10-15 with gusts to 22 on Sunday only. Certainly good sailing weather.

Have fun
oldlaxer1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #315 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
The admiral invited guests for a sail this weekend...and neither of them are boaters.
Remember to tell them that everyone sits.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #316 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter

Down at the boat looking forward to a couple of nice sailing days. Perfect sleeping weather. No bugs. No people. No noise.

Winds look good tomorrow. We have our 135 on for the heavier spring cool air. Meanswe rarely have to reef unless it's gusty or 25 plus.
Picked up some nice Rockfish filets at Wegmans for dinner tomorrow. They had 3 Mile Island size blackberries on sale for $4.99 a quart too.

Continuation of Spring bonus sailing days.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #317 of 1316 Old 04-14-2017

Dock

Going to Baltimore Tuesday, hope to get the engine in commission, maybe do a couple of the winches. I also need to look at an inverter that doesn't seem to be working. A few other odds and ends and the boat will be ready for day sails. Needs a rebuild on the (Groco K) head for cruising. Can't wait!

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #318 of 1316 Old 04-15-2017 Thread Starter

Anchored in Hopkins Creek on the Severn all by ourselves

Saw more sailboats out today. Winds started light but now are 12 steady with occasional gusts to 20

Getting ready for dinner, but we have been watching an Ibis on the shore hunting for insects for an hour
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #319 of 1316 Old 04-15-2017

Had an awesome 3 hour sail this afternoon sans guests. Tomorrow will be the Admiral, our son and me. Should be a blast if the wind forecast holds. Swapped out the 135 for the 110 to make it more balanced tomorrow. We'll change back if it is lighter than predicted. The shorts will be
out so make sure you have your extra strength sunglasses on if you venture towards the Patapsco...my legs could be blinding��

Last edited by oldlaxer1; 04-15-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #320 of 1316 Old 04-16-2017

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Work related activities have put me behind on my pre-launch schedule. Nevertheless, I've gotten a lot done during the evenings the past week. I fixed a leak through my LP tank locker by carefully cutting out all the old caulk and resealing with 3M 4000UV. I fixed a leak around my compression post with multple applications of Cap'n Tolley's. Bottom sanded: whoever suggested wet sanding with drywall screen on a ceiling pole was a genius. I got the whole bottom sanded in under two hours. Bottom painted, and I came back two days later to move the stands and paint the missed spots. I did the full Maine Sail polish the last two days, including wet sanding the boot stripe to restore it to full deep blue color. I am pleasantly surprised that my freeboard is actually less than my previous smaller boat. Waxing started today and will finish tomorrow. The hull topsides look amazing.

Still remaining (in no particular order): remove the cover, install refurbished dodger and bimini, install new anode, Barnacle Barrier on the shaft and prop, hook up batteries and charger, test the motor out and let her run to full temperature. Then there's all the other stuff to do after splashing, which is tentatively scheduled for this Friday morning.

Work related things are going to be much less predictable this summer, but we're still hoping to get a lot of long weekends and a couple week-long cruises. We really want to explore the Chester River more extensively than we did last time.

I also received my USCG medical certificate this week, so hopefully my OUPV/Master license will come before long.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in