LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 1316 Old 04-16-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Work related activities have put me behind on my pre-launch schedule. Nevertheless, I've gotten a lot done during the evenings the past week. I fixed a leak through my LP tank locker by carefully cutting out all the old caulk and resealing with 3M 4000UV. I fixed a leak around my compression post with multple applications of Cap'n Tolley's. Bottom sanded: whoever suggested wet sanding with drywall screen on a ceiling pole was a genius. I got the whole bottom sanded in under two hours. Bottom painted, and I came back two days later to move the stands and paint the missed spots. I did the full Maine Sail polish the last two days, including wet sanding the boot stripe to restore it to full deep blue color. I am pleasantly surprised that my freeboard is actually less than my previous smaller boat. Waxing started today and will finish tomorrow. The hull topsides look amazing.

Still remaining (in no particular order): remove the cover, install refurbished dodger and bimini, install new anode, Barnacle Barrier on the shaft and prop, hook up batteries and charger, test the motor out and let her run to full temperature. Then there's all the other stuff to do after splashing, which is tentatively scheduled for this Friday morning.

Work related things are going to be much less predictable this summer, but we're still hoping to get a lot of long weekends and a couple week-long cruises. We really want to explore the Chester River more extensively than we did last time.

I also received my USCG medical certificate this week, so hopefully my OUPV/Master license will come before long.
Told you. Never underestimate my laziness.

I had a great sail yesterday.
I spent this morning cleaning the boat and getting ready for Easter.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 1316 Old 04-16-2017

Big Easter morning, with rehearsal and two services to play. Easter is to brass players what April 15 is to accountants.

But that didn't stop me from significant progress on my pre-launch checklist. I waxed the entire hull, completed a 48 hour pressure test on the cooling system (held steady at 14 psi - no more toxic green stuff in my bilge!), fired up the motor and got her to operating temperature (amazing how quick it heats up with no raw cooling water!), removed the winter cover, replaced the dead battery on the Nicro solar vent, purged the water tanks of their antifreeze and rinsed, and scrubbed all the grime that accumulated in the cockpit (despite being covered). Not bad for half a day.

(Just kidding about no cooling water. You think I'm an idiot or something?)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #323 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017

Yesterday was beautiful sailing weather wasn't it...wow. Didn't get out until 15:00 but still enjoyed a sail up to the Corsica River and back. Surprisingly very few boats out ...fine by me

Heading out this morning with a good friend and Chef... looks like light showers and calm winds but I'll take it.

Tomorrow another day sail... probably solo unless my invitees can play sick... not that I would advocate for that
oldlaxer1 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #324 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Big Easter morning, with rehearsal and two services to play. Easter is to brass players what April 15 is to accountants.

But that didn't stop me from significant progress on my pre-launch checklist. I waxed the entire hull, completed a 48 hour pressure test on the cooling system (held steady at 14 psi - no more toxic green stuff in my bilge!), fired up the motor and got her to operating temperature (amazing how quick it heats up with no raw cooling water!), removed the winter cover, replaced the dead battery on the Nicro solar vent, purged the water tanks of their antifreeze and rinsed, and scrubbed all the grime that accumulated in the cockpit (despite being covered). Not bad for half a day.

(Just kidding about no cooling water. You think I'm an idiot or something?)

I should smack you. I was nearly done typing my response when I spotted this last line.
T37Chef likes this.

post #325 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017

Yesterday was awesome. Had a great brunch downtown with my son to celebrate his 24th birthday and Easter then took him for about a two hour sail and then dropped him off right at the Rusty Scupper. The admiral and I sailed for another couple of hours under the 110 only. Making almost 6 knots and perfectly comfortable. She didn't want to come in! Harbor was almost empty other than the water taxis, a couple of J22's and a few random sailboat throughout the day.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #326 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017
Chastened

Daughter's wedding is Saturday. After that, I'm FREE and we're going sailing.

Maybe St. Mike's or something on the weekend of April 29th.
10 straight days in the latter half of May.
Wooden boat festival at St. Mike's on Father's Day weekend.

First beer can race is this Wednesday. I need to finish offloading cruising gear today and tomorrow.

post #327 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Daughter's wedding is Saturday. After that, I'm FREE and we're going sailing.

Maybe St. Mike's or something on the weekend of April 29th.
10 straight days in the latter half of May.
Wooden boat festival at St. Mike's on Father's Day weekend.

First beer can race is this Wednesday. I need to finish offloading cruising gear today and tomorrow.
have details on the Wooden Boat Festival?
I'd like to see that.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
-Paul Carvel
post #328 of 1316 Old 04-17-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
have details on the Wooden Boat Festival?
I'd like to see that.

Antique & Classic Boat Festival, the Arts at Navy Point - Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (04-17-2017)
post #329 of 1316 Old 04-18-2017
Chastened

It's a sin to be sitting in my office on a day as perfect as today.

post #330 of 1316 Old 04-18-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

My boat is still in the middle of a refit. But,I got myself crew to start training.

Crew Announcement
gbennett, T37Chef, JSL3 and 2 others like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in