2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 41 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #401 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Visit the boat and take a spool of twine and do an actual measurement. With the boom extended as you would have on a DDW run. Dont leave yourself short.

Figure out which line you want to go with i.e. New England, Sampson etc.

After that I would go online and compare prices, you may save a lot with no tax and free shipping from the many websites

Running Rigging - Cruising - OnlineRopes.com

Midrange Sheets - 10mm for Cruising Sailboats | Mauri Pro Sailing

New England Ropes Sta-Set Line | APS

West Marine 40% off today

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-e...04?recordNum=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Pendragon35 (04-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017

Dave, he lives in upstate New York and has to fly space available to Baltimore. With a one day sale at West Marine, that is why he is asking for some help doing a rough calculation.with the sale price, if he buys up to 30% too much, he is still ahead of the game.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #403 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Dave, he lives in upstate New York and has to fly space available to Baltimore. With a one day sale at West Marine, that is why he is asking for some help doing a rough calculation.with the sale price, if he buys up to 30% too much, he is still ahead of the game.
Yes I knew that. Wasn't sure his time frame. If you notice in my post the last site was West Marine, with a 40% off till tonight. He could order today and pick up at the store in Baltimore

I would err on the large length.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #404 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017 Thread Starter

Wow, what a change in temps...like a switch got flipped.

Had a great smoked brisket dinner at a local eatery after we loaded Haleakula. Tomorrow we are headed somewhere...lol. But not Annapolis.
Got a couple of great pieces of Tuna for tomorrow nights dinner at anchor. Haven't decided whether we are grilling it or making sushimi- maguro and toro as I got my hands on a Maui onion, garden fresh strawberriestoday as well as a fine bottle of Chinese light brewed soy sauce.

Wegmanns had some outstanding mangos and ripe passion fruit. Last night we made blood orange sorbet with our ice cream maker so tomorrow looks like a tempting dessert with the fruit and sorbet.

Of course we hope for some wind...looks like Soutern component till Sunday but not to strong.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #405 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017

Kind of late in the day, but if the OP hasn't jumped the gun, he might consider waiting to measure his line--it certainly isn't 15/16--and ordering it from Defender at their regular discounted price. The WM Friday promotion has 5/16 New England Ropes VPC Performance Braid (for example) at $1.01/ft vs Defender at $1.10. For 9 cents a foot premium, I'd make sure of the diameter and length.

BTW, be careful to measure the diameter of old, fuzzy line properly and avoid jumping up a size inadvertently--your sheaves won't like that. Don't ask how I know!
chef2sail likes this.
post #406 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017

South/southeast wind all day today, at least till it was time for me to head northwest, which the wind switched to when I reached Battery Island and was headed northwest up the channel to the marina. I was intending to stay out for three days, but my damned back went out about 4 p.m., so I headed for the barn and home for some pain meds. Still hurts like a damned toothache.

Great sailing today in the upper bay, winds ranged 8 to 10 steady, with a few minutes of 12 to 15. Got to test my AIS system today - I love it. When the alarm went off and said there was an AIS vessel 1.2 miles away, I zoomed out the GPS and there it was, directly behind me, a huge barge being pushed by a tug toward the Susquehanna River quarries. I had plenty of time to get out of it's way, watched in go past, cracked open a Coors Light and was lovin live till the damned back went to Hell.

Sorry I didn't make it beyond Betterton, Dave, but maybe next trip. I'll bring the pain meds with me on the next one.

All the best,

Gary
post #407 of 1316 Old 04-28-2017

We got too late a start to make it to Chester River anchorages. So we reached across the Bay to Eagle Cove. Dinner, movie, and now bed. Nice breeze kept the anchor rode creaking, but I added chafe protection to stop it. We head back early tomorrow.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #408 of 1316 Old 04-29-2017 Thread Starter

Hanging out up the Corsica River off the Chester. Beautiful sail today with 12-15 steady . Was hot on land but perfect on the water. Actually had a jacket on when we were close hauled as the water is still relatively cool. A few more boats out but for the most part we had the Chester to ourselves.

We have the anchorage to ourselves. Great dinner of two types of tuna sashimi with a couple of great dipping sauces. We made some purple Thai rice to go along with it. We brought some saki and plum wine, but I really have never gotten use to it.

Getting ready to have the homemade sorbet with fresh mangos flambeed in brandy over the top. The place is so quiet tonight with only a few circadas / crickets and one loud hoot owl in the distance.

Planning a 10 day trip for our first vacation in June to Cape Charles, Yorktown, Rappahannock, St Mary's possibly with stops in between.

Looks like the second trip in August/ September will be to the LI Sound.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #409 of 1316 Old 04-30-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Getting pretty hot already. This past Friday, I worked on the boat and it got to 88 inside the boat by the time I decided to call it a day. I'm far enough along in my fiberglass project, that the heat shouldn't slow my progress TOO much. Still have some more work to do, but it's getting closer to finishing up. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to launch this year.

https://youtu.be/SmnaVVk5_4o

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #410 of 1316 Old 04-30-2017 Thread Starter

Beautiful sail today. Temps in the the upper 70s steady winds 12-15.
Love the way Haleakula performs with new bottom paint.

Next weekend if it's cool we replace the mascerator with the exact same model. They have a finite life before they leak it seems. Should take long, but whenever you do a boat project it's like unpeeling an onion, with multiple layers of potential issues where "Murphy" reveals himself.

Hopefully it goes auickly

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in