2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 42 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #411 of 1316 Old 04-30-2017
al brazzi

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Same wind here for 4 days, Great!! 15-18 steady SW saw 7.6 kts with someone else at the wheel on a broad reach yesterday. Hot but hotter on land
This weeks regatta was all reaching and running, FAST race with different winners. Nice to break things up a bit.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #412 of 1316 Old 04-30-2017

I have a big concert in Philly this Friday, and rehearsals and school board meetings all week leading up to it, then a pot luck event at our marina Saturday evening. So no cruising next weekend - probably just a daysail on Sunday morning.

Our sail across the bay last Friday was a good test of our new 135. It definitely points higher than the old 150. Predicted WSW winds were actually due south, which is why we did not have time to make it into Chester River. So we started what we thought would be a broad reach across the Bay. Of course, halfway across the bay the winds shifted back more westerly, requiring me to point as high as possible to make it across without tacking. I was impressed with our new sail's ability to point at 30º apparent wind angle with no loss of VMG. We were doing 5.1-5.4 kts at 30-33º angle with apparent wind at 7.3-8.2 kts (see pics).

I was pretty happy with our speed in rather gentle breezes. My anemometer only shows apparent wind because Raymarine will not use GPS speed to calculate true wind, but my manual calculation shows true wind speeds of 4.0-7.4 kts for the two pics shown. Making way close-hauled at 5.1-5.4 kts in these light breezes is pretty good IMO. Fresh bottom and new headsail probably contribute to this.

The only bad news from our trip is that our stuffing box needs adjustment. We are getting a drop every ~8 seconds with motor off, one drop/second with motor in gear at idle speed, and two drops/second in gear at 2200 RPM. I've bought a couple of 1-15/16" wrenches and will tighten it up a bit, and need to re-check maintenance logs to verify age of the packing. If mild tightening doesn't get things to within Nigel Calder's recommendations, I'll have to re-pack. I'm hoping to wait until on the hard next winter for that. I'm not experienced enough to try a replacement while in the water.

Also, I'm going to add a cetane improver in hopes of reducing the engine vibration a bit. It's not bad, just seems like it might be a tiny bit more than last year. (Though I did not look at it that closely last year, so I don't have a reliable control study.) I'm not sure if the vibration is affecting the packing condition, but less vibration is always better. I know that the shaft was re-aligned 2 years ago when the transmission was rebuilt.

Finally, the GPS that I attached to my AIS radio seems to have poor reception, causing speed to bounce all over the place. It's behind the electrical panel right now, so presumably suffering electrical interference. It's a puck on a ~20 ft cable, so I can move it to a much better place with less interference. Just one more thing to go on the list.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2542.jpg   IMG_2546.jpg   IMG_2541.jpg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-30-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #413 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Spent Friday night on a peaceful mooring at my club.
Marinated, grilled pork loin, Italian pasta salad, grilled asparagus for dinner. A perfect breeze blowing all night through a cracked open hatch.
Saturday was yard work and Sunday was banding and documenting immature barn owls.

Wednesday night looks fine for racing. Dry, sunny, 15-20 from the west.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #414 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017

Spent Friday night on board at the dock. At the proverbial butt crack of dawn I was up and doing the spring cleaning of the hull, topsides, and fenders. Boy did the winter deposit a lot of dirt and grime on the boat.
Went to the Hunt Cup Steeple Chase races on Saturday afternoon. Yesterday the admiral and I had a late lunch in Canton (Lee's Pint and Shell) and then took a very pleasurable 3 hour sail. Just right.
She's doing some craft show thing next Saturday but maybe we can get an overnight in if she finishes early enough.
punahougirl84 and AJC506 like this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #415 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Went to the Hunt Cup Steeple Chase races on Saturday afternoon.
Did you watch CBS's '60 Minute' piece about the Maryland Hunt Cup? My father won it back in 1940 as he broke his back in one of the earlier races..very tough course for both rider and horse...
post #416 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Did you watch CBS's '60 Minute' piece about the Maryland Hunt Cup? My father won it back in 1940 as he broke his back in one of the earlier races..very tough course for both rider and horse...
We did see it. Pretty impressive that your father won the race. It is brutal. Our good friends actually live on Worthington Farm so we've been up close and personal with the races for years. We walk up the hill to the tree line just behind jumps 6 and 16 which are arguably the toughest on the course. One rider was hurt pretty badly this year going over jump 6 (two riders/horses went down there this year.) Only two of ten horses finished this year. The crowd seemed extremely large this year. Good weather I guess.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #417 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Getting pretty hot already. This past Friday, I worked on the boat and it got to 88 inside the boat by the time I decided to call it a day. I'm far enough along in my fiberglass project, that the heat shouldn't slow my progress TOO much. Still have some more work to do, but it's getting closer to finishing up. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to launch this year.

https://youtu.be/SmnaVVk5_4o
To go along with this video I posted, I published a blog post/write up. Lots of pictures showing my progress.

Rhapsody: Fiberglass Fuel Tank
AJC506 likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #418 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017

The Tank Job looks great, Dan. You seem to be coming right along and if you continue at this pace, you should be able to launch by the end of the summer.

Good luck,

Gary
post #419 of 1316 Old 05-01-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
The Tank Job looks great, Dan. You seem to be coming right along and if you continue at this pace, you should be able to launch by the end of the summer.

Good luck,

Gary
Thanks Gary.

I'm still hopeful to launch this year. Plenty of work left to go but I'm getting there.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #420 of 1316 Old 05-03-2017

Hey everyone, I just got an email from USCG saying that my OUPV/Master license has been approved and is in the mail.
Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it!

Don't worry, I won't make you call me Captain Rick! lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in