2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 51 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017
thinking of this...

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
After the rain last night and this AM we headed out at 2 when it stopped. Winds NW to W at 15 - 20 with relatively flat seas and we were doing well over 8.5 on a broad reach from Whitehall Creek to Thomas Point. Saw only 4 boats and 4 ships. 2.5 hours later and we have the hook down in one of our favorite South River Creeks....Aberdeen. Harness is a lot of people's favorite but we find it confining. Beside one of the people who owns a McMansion recognizes us every time we anchor off their place and comes down their dock and waves to us.

Two years ago they invited us to dinghy ashore for drinks in the water view screened in Gazebo. Really neat people who have a 51 ft approx. Bristol docked outside.

We are enjoying hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps to take the chill off.

Fresh tuna steaks for dinner later.

Haleakula sighting!
Pics from Sunday. I thought I recognized the name of your boat when I was sailing down the South River toward Thomas Point. When I looked at the photos at home, it was confirmed. Great day in the morning. Winds clocked and picked up quite a bit in the afternoon.

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017

Sorry I didn't get out to see you guys!

Joel
Atlantis

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
post #503 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017

Dock

So I'm psyched; we stay in the water all year around at Anchorage Marina but there's all the commissioning things to do: changing the oil in the Yanmar, fuel filters, checking the rig, sanitizing the water tanks and filling them, cleaning out stuff that accumulates (who's going to need an electric heater in the summer?). By the end of today, it should be finished! ready to go sailing!
Donna_F, T37Chef, Ajax_MD and 3 others like this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD

post #504 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
So I'm psyched; we stay in the water all year around at Anchorage Marina but there's all the commissioning things to do: changing the oil in the Yanmar, fuel filters, checking the rig, sanitizing the water tanks and filling them, cleaning out stuff that accumulates (who's going to need an electric heater in the summer?). By the end of today, it should be finished! ready to go sailing!
We're heading down around 4 for an evening sail. Maybe we'll see you there.

John

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #505 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL3 View Post
Haleakula sighting!
Pics from Sunday. I thought I recognized the name of your boat when I was sailing down the South River toward Thomas Point. When I looked at the photos at home, it was confirmed. Great day in the morning. Winds clocked and picked up quite a bit in the afternoon.

Jim ,

We saw your Pearson as we motorsailed out to the Bay. My wife spotted the Pearson logo as you guys were taking out the river. You guys were looking good.

We had spent a really nice night in Aberdeen Creek. And had a good sail back up to Whitehall before it got a little blustery ( to say the least) . Hope we run into each other again soon. I monitor 16 in case you want to hail us

Thanks for the great picture.
JSL3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #506 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I am definitely just a "cook" and I am happy to wear that label.

Although I definitely lack Auspicious Dave's skill in the galley, I cook well for my spouse and she really appreciates it. I am very open to learning new techniques and trying new recipes in order to keep "wowing" her, and keeping things fresh and interesting at the dinner table.

As a quick, easy meal I often broil salmon with a little egg and oil coating, with potlatch seasoning, a sprinkling of parmesan and some super-finely diced onion on top. I'd like to try some sort of a glaze next.
It's cool being a cook. Anyone and everyone can do it. You don't have to be a professional chef. Dave has a good philosophy in keeping his delivery foods well fed. A happy crew is one which eats well. He has shown it can be good comfort foods and snacks.

Food is a great uniter of people and great conversation. Like I said I post our dinners hoping it may give other weekend sailors like us to try attempt different things. I have throughout my career written for and published recipes for years, though to tell you the truth like most chefs, if I need to give a recipie I have to think about the proportions . To tell the truth I have always enjoyed a good grilled NY Strip, Tri-tip
, hot dog or burger. As I have aged I have tried to eat a lot more"healthily" . Been able to drop over 35 lbs in 12 months, with more to go. I love the "natural " taste of most things which I think is a good thing. My mentors drummed that into me. I love veggies and fruit. Trouble was I love pie and carbs too ( I have cut them down drastically)

So many great salmon type glazes from Chinese sauces, bourbon , balsamic vinegar, curries, that really enhance the taste or accompany it. Don't be afraid to experiment. What's the worst that can happen.
Lots of people are afraid to cook fish and tend to overlook it. Good for you for doing that.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #507 of 1316 Old 05-17-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Donna, I hope the surgery went well and you're well on your way to dancing on the foredeck again.
Thank you. Surgery went well. As of Monday the knee to ankle gauze and ace bandage are off and I'm down to 2 bandaids over my sutures. I only needed the painkillers for the first 18 hours and I'm diligently following my post-op exercise instructions. Unfortunately Fluff and my doctor are not on the same page as I am with my schedule to ditch the crutches. I say one week past surgery, they say four. One of us needs a reality check.

John should be heading to the boat on Saturday to check on her and commune a bit. I'll compromise with my elders and wait another week to head down since I can't climb on board anyway.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #508 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Had a little bit of wind in the upper bay yesterday, got in a few hours of nice sailing before it died about 4 p.m.. Enjoyed a great Italian sub for lunch, washed down with a Coors Light. Air temperature was a bit chilly beneath the Bimini until the wind died, then it warmed up to the mid 70s. Water is still pretty chilly in the bay's upper reaches.

When I got back to the marina and put the sail cover on and stored the other gear, my lungs and back gave out. Sad to say, I think my sailing days are just about over.

Gary
post #509 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Had a little bit of wind in the upper bay yesterday, got in a few hours of nice sailing before it died about 4 p.m.. Enjoyed a great Italian sub for lunch, washed down with a Coors Light. Air temperature was a bit chilly beneath the Bimini until the wind died, then it warmed up to the mid 70s. Water is still pretty chilly in the bay's upper reaches.

When I got back to the marina and put the sail cover on and stored the other gear, my lungs and back gave out. Sad to say, I think my sailing days are just about over.

Gary
Have you considered a trawler?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #510 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Have you considered a trawler?
Yes, but at this stage of my lung disease, it's no longer safe for me to do the minor things, such as walking forward to anchor, take care of the dock lines, etc... Yesterday, after raising the main, my oxygen saturation dropped to 87 percent, which is quite low, and I was not as stable as I should have been walking back to the cockpit and had to hang on to the boom and bimimi frame. So, I guess I'll just spend what little time I have left playing music and gardening.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in