2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 52 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #511 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

So sorry to hear that Gary.
For a while your posts on your health were much more optimistic. Wishing you the best possible outcomes.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

For a while, I felt as if things were a bit better, especially with the pulmonary rehab therapy, but with the disease entity I have to endure, better is often very short lived, which was the case.

Yesterday, was a kind of a shakedown cruise, but instead of a shakedown for the boat, it was a shakedown for me to determine if I could still handle the boat safely. While I was fairly confident that I could do so, the mind keeps making appointments the body can no longer keep. Unfortunately, I had scheduled a three week trip to New Bern, NC that was to begin next Thursday, a voyage where I would follow a friend and his crew to his new home, then sail back home single handed. After yesterday, I knew that I no longer could physically do this. I have to meet up with the other boat's crew this Saturday, at which time I will inform them in person of my decision.

All the best,

Gary
chef2sail likes this.
post #513 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Not good to hear but understanding your limitations now makes sense as no one including your wife wants to lose you. It does mean you won't enjoy the water. How about becoming a "dock denizen" with your boat and occasionally go sailing on others boats. You'd have the joy of hanging out in your boat as well as being on the water.

As we all get older we will all face the inevitable physical barriers age brings as well as diseases and ailments. Younger people are invincible of course and will live forever. As I approach retirement I see that more clearly now. I see many friends 10-15 years older struggling to keep their sailboats in good shape as well as physically sailing them. Many of them taking care of or have taken care of aging parents.

I never understand why people thing the evolution out of sailboating heads to a trawler. To me I would never buy a trawler. I would rather have a well constructed sailboat which can handle rougher wind and weather without rolling around, even when the day comes that I may start motoring a lot more due to physical limitations. I don't need a floating condo. One which burns fuel even if only one engine. I like not fearing going out in my little 35 foot sailboat on days most powerboaters, including trawlers would never leave the dock. To me having that huge lead keel under me is safety, comfort all wrapped up in one. Many of the boats we are looking at as our final boat are comfortable enough to live on for months as we travel south and north.

Gary, You are always invited to hang out or sail with us. I am always looking every 3rd weekend for guests as Donna is a baby nurse and required to work every third weekend. Would be nice to have someone who understand a boat and maybe less exerting for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-18-2017 at 05:58 PM.

post #514 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
For a while, I felt as if things were a bit better, especially with the pulmonary rehab therapy, but with the disease entity I have to endure, better is often very short lived, which was the case.

Yesterday, was a kind of a shakedown cruise, but instead of a shakedown for the boat, it was a shakedown for me to determine if I could still handle the boat safely. While I was fairly confident that I could do so, the mind keeps making appointments the body can no longer keep. Unfortunately, I had scheduled a three week trip to New Bern, NC that was to begin next Thursday, a voyage where I would follow a friend and his crew to his new home, then sail back home single handed. After yesterday, I knew that I no longer could physically do this. I have to meet up with the other boat's crew this Saturday, at which time I will inform them in person of my decision.

All the best,

Gary
Sorry to hear you won't be making the trip Gary. Was looking forward to meeting you in person and perhaps getting some fishing/drinking in. Best of luck to you.

post #515 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Thanks guys. I as I always said "Gettin old ain't for wimps and sissies!" Unfortunately, I guess I'm gonna have to wimp out on the trip, though.

Dave, Thanks for the offer and if I improve a bit, I just might take you up on that 3rd weekend thing. Right now, though, I'm really struggling to breathe, even in my air conditioned office. Heat and humidity right about now could end up being fatal.

Thanks again, everyone,

Gary
post #516 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post

All the best,

Gary
That's a tough decision but the right one. hard to give up the dream. Luckily, you already lived it more than many people get to. Wish you all the best in post-sailing life. Is your boat still for sale and getting any interest?

Take care of yourself first, Gary.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #517 of 1316 Old 05-18-2017

Thinking about you G Stud... keep on keeping on
Donna_F and oldlaxer1 like this.

Shawn

post #518 of 1316 Old 05-19-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I always laugh when you call him that. He really is the G-stud. He got some good sailing time in with Melrna, a sailnet member that we hear from all too infrequently.
She's a lovely person and I'll always be envious that he pulled that off!

There must be something damn good in those green coconut margaritas!
oldlaxer1 and travlin-easy like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #519 of 1316 Old 05-19-2017

Dan, I'm putting the boat back on the market in a week, and in the hands of a well known brokerage. And, I guess you are right, I have lived a life that many folks never get to enjoy. This life has been a great ride that I wished would never end.

Shawn, sorry we were never able to get together and wolf down some super-salty Cape Charles oysters. I always watch your posts with great interest and think about you and the children all the time.

Ajax, Melissa and I keep in touch regularly, she is enjoying life living aboard in North Carolina, and she will be sailing up to New England in the next few weeks. She's a fantastic sailor and really knows how to handle a boat.

All the best,

Gary
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #520 of 1316 Old 05-19-2017

Gary, if you are up for a sail I'd be more than happy to crew for you. You drive, I'll do the work.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in