2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 54 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #531 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Our new baby girl arrived May 9 so there has been no sailing yet this year for us other than when I delivered the boat to a new marina back in early April. At this point, baby is probably as ready for the boat as she’ll ever be but mom is – understandably – not. We’re hoping to get both girls out on the water by early June and will definitely do some sailing and an overnight or two aboard over the long 4th of July weekend.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Our new baby girl arrived May 9 so there has been no sailing yet this year for us other than when I delivered the boat to a new marina back in early April. At this point, baby is probably as ready for the boat as she’ll ever be but mom is – understandably – not. We’re hoping to get both girls out on the water by early June and will definitely do some sailing and an overnight or two aboard over the long 4th of July weekend.
Great! Another little girl in the fleet

Congratulations!

Mine is now 5 weeks old and doing great. And, getting big quick.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #533 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017

Beautiful baby!

All the best,

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (05-22-2017)

post #534 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017

Congratulations on the new baby girls!

They are always ready to sail. Here's a photo of my mom, dad, myself (the oldest in middle) and two younger sisters at the time - mom is holding my baby sister who was very young (this is from late '70-early'71). A 4th daughter came later - we all grew up on the boat (well, not THIS one - Dad sold the smaller Columbia and got the 43!).

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #535 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGUSVI View Post
We left HHN Friday early and had a frisky sail across the bay to St. Michaels. There were four boats anchored off of St. Michaels. We took the water taxi in and had a great meal at Awful Arthurs with Oysters, steamed clams and tuna. We had been watching the weather radar and headed back to the boat by 8PM. Quite the light show before the rain came and we saw gusts over 30kts. The Rocna was well stuck.

Saturday we popped over to Wye River East and settled into Shaw Bay early for our first visit. We were the only boat for a couple of hours, but we had a half dozen boats by dusk. We had been having a bit of vibration under power since our refit and I dove the prop to make certain it was clean. Clean, zinc intact and no play on the shaft as far as I could tell. We are doing a short haul on Wednesday to have the shop that did our refit, Zimmerman Marine, have a look and try to diagnose the vibration. They did engine mounts and alignment, so I was expecting smoother rather than more vibration afterwards.

Sweet Christine's birthday was Saturday, so I made a Red lentil curry with coconut milk and zucchini. She enjoyed her bottle of Tattinger champagne while I cooked dinner.

We had a lazy Sunday and a lazy sail downwind to HHN. It was a nice quiet long weekend.

For Memorial Day weekend we are going to entertain our first guests on Echoes. My daughters are looking forward to some sailing and play time.

Cheers, RickG
We were following in your footsteps. Hunting Creek where we landed is about 2 miles past St Micheals and usually deserted.

We also visit Shaw Bay and the Wye a lot. Especially we it's hot it's nice and open there. In the fall we go up to Granery and tuck in there or further up to Skipjack.

We like Ava's in St Micheals ( I think T37 chef gave it good marks too) . It's got good pizza and also pretty good food. It's further down Talbot Street so not quite as crowded.

Looks like we'll be in Solomon's Thursday and Friday night , San Domingo, Dunn Cove, or maybe the Tred Avon on Saturday and Sunday nights as Donna wants to stretch her legs in St Micheals. So much quieter way to see St Micheals if you have a dinghy and the time to venture down the Choptank

Dinghy is now on the davits and the Lehr fired up the first time I pulled on the starting rope. It's our third year with the propane engine and I like that it starts and has no issues with the ethanol laden gas which varnished the carbs of my previous outboard.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #536 of 1316 Old 05-22-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Saw J on your Facebook page. Donna and I wish the best to you and Sharon and M too. Hope to get together soon either on the water or land.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #537 of 1316 Old 05-25-2017

Taking my daughters out for a sail Saturday. This will be their first time out on our new to us boat. It may be rainy with little wind, but we'll still have fun. We are just hanging round Herrington Harbor North and doing day sails for the long weekend.

We did a short haul Wednesday to check the prop and shaft due to some vibration after Zimmer Marine did our refit in their Mathews yard over the winter. Steve Zimmerman recommended removing the drive saver that the previous owner added due to shaft extended too far from the supporting shaft tube; that will get done along with engine alignment on Friday. With any luck she'll be back to super smooth under power as she was before the refit.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #538 of 1316 Old 05-28-2017 Thread Starter

We are on a four day tour of the Choptank. Good sailing for two of three already.

First stop Friday was Dunn Cove , Harris Creek. Stop two LaTrappe Creek , Sawmill Cove and today Chualk Creek, off Ledenham Creek off of Broad Creek

Each anchorage has been breathtaking no crowds on a holiday weekend. If you needed an excuse that the weather wasn't perfect well it was pretty close to ideal except a two hour rain shower this afternoon. Made for a great nap at anchor ( us older guys know how great a midday nap is). Temps were shirtsleeve with tonight a light sweatshirt. Shorts for sure.

One of the reasons we relocated after 10 years at Rock Creek , Patapsco was to get the Choptank, Solomons, in easy range for a weekend for us. (30 miles or so ) we thoroughly enjoyed our time the 10 years of the northern Bay,

We have having fun visiting places we heard others suggest and talk about but we could on get to easily with 3/4 days.
Getting 4 straight days on the Choptank gave us a chance to begin exploring it.

It is a great sailing river. Huge amount of anchorages and creeks. Sparse development and tons of varied birds. It has many characteristics of the southern Chessie rivers. With less developement than the northern anchorages we have been treated to silence and only bird sounds and an occasional airliner.

If you have never really traveled the Choptank make sure you do. It's a great getaway.
RickGUSVI and AJC506 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
RickGUSVI (05-30-2017)
post #539 of 1316 Old 05-28-2017

Just got back from the boat, still raining all day long - NASTY! Got 1/3 of the cabin sole sanded, ate supper, the tide is super high from the continued strong, south winds and I had to jump off the gunwale to the finger pier. Old farts shouldn't do that kind of $hit! When I landed on the dock 4 feet below me, the pain shot down my back, down my right leg, and I damned near fell overboard. Really dumb on my part. I had to sit down on the piling and wait 20 minutes before attempting to walk back to the van, limping in horrible pain. Now, I' sipping a Green Coconut Margaretta that I used to wash down some pain pills and sitting in a recliner with a heating pad under my back. Tomorrow, if I can walk, I'm headed back to the boat to finish sanding the cabin sole, then do a little bit of staining before wiping everything down with a tack-rag and applying the finish. Just want the damned rain to stop for a few days before the finish is applied.

Almost forgot, tomorrow, I'm gonna put on a new gangplank, too.

Another fun day in the upper Chesapeake,

Gary
AJC506 likes this.
post #540 of 1316 Old 05-28-2017

A planned long weekend became just an afternoon. This time with daughter. Wind nice and steady, rain wasn't too bad. I'm beginning to see why you guys love this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Donna_F likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in