2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 62 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #611 of 1316 Old 06-12-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Yep, summer is finally here. It might even be warm enough for Gary.

I've been eye-balling Tartan 37s all season long, and I finally saw Windgeist yesterday. We passed closely, so I called T37Chef on the radio and gave him a "howdy."
You were flying... and looking good. What a great weekend it turned out to be for sailing eh

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #612 of 1316 Old 06-12-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
You were flying... and looking good. What a great weekend it turned out to be for sailing eh
I was returning home from the Potapskut Sailing Association's Moonlight Race. One of my daughters joined me and we did it doublehanded, flew the spinnaker. We finished the race a little after 9pm on Saturday, watching a blood red moon rising.

We sailed back to PSA and spent the night. I was up at the after party until after 1am. She departed PSA by car and I sailed home alone. The wind was great for both days.

Who was that with you?
T37Chef likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #613 of 1316 Old 06-12-2017

I was going to join PSA, but my boat length would have put me on a waitlist for a mooring ball and forget ever getting a slip. Great place and people though, and the best bargain on the bay.

Someone was with me?

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #614 of 1316 Old 06-12-2017

Wow! Just got back from the boat, 97 degrees in the shade, 80 percent humidity, but a pretty good breeze. If I didn't have a doctors appointment I would have slipped the lines and went for a short, day sail. Just a little more varnishing to do and the boat will be pretty enough to sell to the right person. Of course, the right person will be the one that comes up with the money I'm asking.

All the best,

Gary
post #615 of 1316 Old 06-12-2017

Yep, we got a bit more wind than I was expecting Saturday.

I had committed to an event Sunday, so thought Saturday would be a great day to take a couple of less enthusiastic sailboat folks out for a day sail. The wind turned out to be just perfect. Enough to keep the guys interested and the non sailing wives content.

Flew the cruising chute for a while, had a crossing with a big ship and though we got close I guess I convinced him I was going to stay out of his way as he passed us without a sound but gave the next boat down the bay a nice blast.

Really a fun day.
Ajax_MD likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #616 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I was going to join PSA, but my boat length would have put me on a waitlist for a mooring ball and forget ever getting a slip. Great place and people though, and the best bargain on the bay.

Someone was with me?
I'm a little ashamed to say that I felt very at home at PSA with racing/cruising keelboat sailors. I love WRSC but it's sharply divided into two categories: beach cat/dinghy racers and pure cruisers. I feel like man without a country, so to speak.

PSA is just too far away to get my money's worth, unfortunately.
T37Chef likes this.

post #617 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

So I'm curious, what is the typical length of sail you guys plan for weekend trips? We did about 21 miles on Friday afternoon, 29 on Saturday and 39 on Sunday. The admiral and I were both pretty worn out on Monday. If I plan for 5.25 kts I'm thinking I should keep the daily trip down around 30 miles max. Thoughts?

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #618 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
So I'm curious, what is the typical length of sail you guys plan for weekend trips? We did about 21 miles on Friday afternoon, 29 on Saturday and 39 on Sunday. The admiral and I were both pretty worn out on Monday. If I plan for 5.25 kts I'm thinking I should keep the daily trip down around 30 miles max. Thoughts?
At a planned average speed of 5.25 knots, your itinerary was pretty aggressive. My boat lets me try for an average of 6.0-6.5 knots, which greatly enhances my range. 40 miles on a day isn't bad if you have a couple of days in between trips, but cramming all that into a weekend is ambitious.

Don't turn your cruises into "pain missions" or the wife will stop coming.

One solution is to use more vacation time so that you have more time to travel. The other solution is to pair back your agenda a little bit.

post #619 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Quote:

One solution is to use more vacation time so that you have more time to travel. The other solution is to pair back your agenda a little bit.
She still had a blast. She's a tough old broad!
I work for a guy who doesn't believe in vacations.....

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #620 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
At a planned average speed of 5.25 knots, your itinerary was pretty aggressive. My boat lets me try for an average of 6.0-6.5 knots, which greatly enhances my range. 40 miles on a day isn't bad if you have a couple of days in between trips, but cramming all that into a weekend is ambitious.

Our approach is to plan for an average of 5 knots . Our range is generally 30 miles on direction. 6 hours of sailing / motoring is fine. It isn't a death March for my wife and I. We generally shove off by 9....after having breakfast , that way we are where we want to be by 3 which gives plenty of time for a nap/ dinghy ride/ swim and then a cocktail hour and dinner. We average 32 weekends a year so our total travel is 1800-2000 nm per year without vacation.

This lends itself to another criteria. Where is your marina in relation to your sailing grounds/ anchorages. You are in Baltimore so it's 9.4 miles before you hit the Bay. That's a long hike. One of the reasons we choose MYC was that. It put us in easy range of worton, still pond, sassafras, Chester, mogothy, Severn , and even South, West and Rhode. St Mikes and Wye we attainable.

Thats another reason we moved after 10 years there. Now Solomons, Choptank, Wye, Chester, Magothy, Severn, west, south , Rhode, Rock Hall and Worton are in that radius.

The trick is to get up earlier . Arrive earlier . Then you'll get you RandR .
The more time you spend on the boat the more you will relax while sailing too.
We are quiete comfortable having lunch under way and even set up the table and let the auto pilot steer us . That comes with time and is certainly harder to do if you choose to sail in a busier area.

Vacation is different. We go 50-80 miles per day the first few days and beeline to our furthest point usually taking our time coming back. Sometimes spending a few nights at a location. Those jaunts are 20 miles . Getting underway after breakfast by 9-10 arriving by 2.

On weekends when we return we are usually relaxed , don't try to get back by 2 Pm. Our last hour returning is the time to pack up the inside of the boat so when we get to dock ( where it's always warmer) much of the work is done. We also try and have a good snack like watermelon in the cockpit or in the air conditioning after we have Haleakula buttoned up before we wheel our stuff to the car.

We try not to rush home. Since we don't have little kids it's easier ( but we've been there and done that already) .

Not sure if this helps but it works for us and it makes this much more enjoyable for my wife and we are not worn out when we have to work Monday.

We always laugh that on our Sunday night showers st home we are still rocking.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in