2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 63 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #621 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

25-30 nautical miles per day on a weekend is our upper limit (or it was before having kids) but wind conditions play an equal factor. We often pick weekend destinations last minute based on where we’re likely to get to and from in the fastest time with the least amount of motoring – even if it means going a little farther or staying a little closer to home than we would have liked.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Our approach is to plan for an average of 5 knots . Our range is generally 30 miles on direction. 6 hours of sailing / motoring is fine. It isn't a death March for my wife and I. We generally shove off by 9....after having breakfast , that way we are where we want to be by 3 which gives plenty of time for a nap/ dinghy ride/ swim and then a cocktail hour and dinner. We average 32 weekends a year so our total travel is 1800-2000 nm per year without vacation.

This lends itself to another criteria. Where is your marina in relation to your sailing grounds/ anchorages. You are in Baltimore so it's 9.4 miles before you hit the Bay. That's a long hike. One of the reasons we choose MYC was that. It put us in easy range of worton, still pond, sassafras, Chester, mogothy, Severn , and even South, West and Rhode. St Mikes and Wye we attainable.

Thats another reason we moved after 10 years there. Now Solomons, Choptank, Wye, Chester, Magothy, Severn, west, south , Rhode, Rock Hall and Worton are in that radius.

The trick is to get up earlier . Arrive earlier . Then you'll get you RandR .
The more time you spend on the boat the more you will relax while sailing too.
We are quiete comfortable having lunch under way and even set up the table and let the auto pilot steer us . That comes with time and is certainly harder to do if you choose to sail in a busier area.

Vacation is different. We go 50-80 miles per day the first few days and beeline to our furthest point usually taking our time coming back. Sometimes spending a few nights at a location. Those jaunts are 20 miles . Getting underway after breakfast by 9-10 arriving by 2.

On weekends when we return we are usually relaxed , don't try to get back by 2 Pm. Our last hour returning is the time to pack up the inside of the boat so when we get to dock ( where it's always warmer) much of the work is done. We also try and have a good snack like watermelon in the cockpit or in the air conditioning after we have Haleakula buttoned up before we wheel our stuff to the car.

We try not to rush home. Since we don't have little kids it's easier ( but we've been there and done that already) .

Not sure if this helps but it works for us and it makes this much more enjoyable for my wife and we are not worn out when we have to work Monday.

We always laugh that on our Sunday night showers st home we are still rocking.
Amen on the shower rocking!
We had originally planned on taking 4 days this past weekend but the forecast for yesterday was miserably hot and windless so we pushed ourselves to get home on Sunday. That sort of prompted my question. We are in the inner harbor because with the animals at home we end up doing more day sails than overnighters and the Canton area lends itself to entertainment outside of sailing. When we're "animal free" I'm pretty sure we'll be looking for a marina much closer to the bay and its destinations. In fact, I just had a conversation with the owner of Fairview marina this morning. Our next long weekend trip will probably entail a Wednesday or Thursday overnight in Rock Creek with a quick haul in the morning for bottom cleaning, then on our way.
I can get 6 kts cruise under power if I want but I prefer to not push the old A4 since it has been so good to me up the this point.
Thanks for the thoughts.
chef2sail likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #623 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Somewhere in the range of 5 to 5.5 knots seems like a good average speed to use for planning unless you’re willing to motor/motorsail an awful lot or have a boat that’s a well above average light air performer. With a hull speed close to 8 knots we still plan in 5-5.5 range as we typically don’t turn on the engine until SOG drops below 4-5 knots consistently and generally motor at 6-6.5 - so it averages out.
chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

post #624 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

There are a lot of factors going into planning a trip... many good suggestions have already been made.

I recall when our kids were about 2 + 4... we did not plan it but ended up doing a sail from St Mary's City to St Michaels, which if I recall was about 95 miles, mostly under sail with some motoring midday and the wind was behind us at 15 to 20 knots for most of the day...which meant not much tacking. I recall it being one of the best sailing days ever at that time and the kids were great. That was a long day though about 14 hours I recall getting up at about 5:30 and getting in the st. Michael's at about 7:30 p.m. what made it great was it was a very relaxing uneventful trip put pounding that long with the kids into the wind would have been exhausting. I guess what I'm saying is have a plan but it doesn't mean you have to stick to it sometimes you just keep on going or sometimes you just call it a day do whatever feels right. most important make sure your crew and guests on the boat agree with you or at least are considered strongly in your decision-making.

This past weekend was a good example the weather predictions were not so enticing we left the Chester about 5 or maybe 6 and got into Swan Creek about 7 or 8 p.m. just decided to go there but it was so beautiful the wind was perfect the Moon looked amazing and I think I could have sailed to Cape May that night. Then Saturday morning woke up with the idea of maybe just sailing back to the Chester in to Queenstown Harbor or just back to the marina because I didn't think they would be much wind and it turned out to be a wonderful sail... so much so that we had planned initially on the Magothy then I changed my mind and thought let's go up the Severn then the wind kept picking up and said let's go down to the Rhode River and even then I was contemplating the Choptank but ultimately chose the Rhode River. Then come Sunday I thought it would be a motor home but turned out to be another decent sale then got even better as we pass north of the Bay Bridge in the winds picked up the 15 to 20 and two or three tacks back into the channel of the marina.

On Friday I figured on just heading to Queenstown and spending the weekend there... instead enjoyed a great weekend of sailing something like 100 miles I don't know I don't really pay attention when I'm just out for the weekend someone can do the measurements if they feel like it, I don't

PS sorry for any spelling errors or lack of punctuation as I am voice texting and don't feel like typing all of this on my phone it would take me forever

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #625 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Any hints on getting into Queenstown? Just follow the narrow channel? Favor one side over the other? Looks like a potential hideout if we're running late going up the Chester some evening.

I actually drove though there this weekend. Wanted to get a look at the anchorages from land, but it seemed to be surrounded by private property, so we couldn't get close enough to look.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #626 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

When I'm cruising, I try to average about 50 miles per day, and that's usually at about 5 MPH - yes, I still do statute miles - It's easier on my aging brain.

When I'm on just a weekend cruise to Saint Nowhere, the distance can range from as little as 30 miles to as much as 90 miles. Much of this depends on whether I'm by myself or have someone along that can handle the boat while I cook supper. I've done a few stints where I didn't drop the hook until 3 a.m., but I'm too old that that kind insanity anymore.

Today, I went to the boat with hopes of discovering where my cabin top leaks are coming from. I found two locations, both of which should be a relatively easy fix - just too hot and humid to tackle the jobs today. The temperature in the shad of the bimini was 97 degrees and the humidity was 80 percent, thereby producing a heat index of 148 degrees f. It was akin to stepping in a steam bath. I fired up the AC in the boat, popped the top of a Coors Light, propped up my feet and listened to talk radio for an hour, then drove home. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be just 81 degrees, which is a lot easier on an old codger with bad lungs.

All the best,

Gary
post #627 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Cool Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

A few of my favorite pictures from the past weekend...

Thursday I sailed over to my former stomping grounds and picked up some friends from MYC

Sailing skies back into Rock Creek

Friday evenings sail up to Swan Creek from the Chester

Powerplant from across the bay

Swan Creek after we anchored

Heading South Saturday morning from Swan Creek to the Rhode, some action photos

You have to take one even if you already have hundreds...

At anchor on the Rhode, so many people anchor to the East of the once, High Island... but why when you can go so much further back and have this view. Besides... remember I don't like people when I'm out on the boat, the further away from human contact the better...

Not a great picture of that amazing Moon over the weekend but you get the idea, looking NE

Of course Sunday North... another TPLH

Then there is this one? I happened to be sitting in the cockpit back in my slip having dinner with a nice chilled glass of Pinot and saw this and just started scratching my head? S/V Dyslexia? WTF?

This last one has nothing to do with the trip but simply beautiful picture my daughter took of her sister stopping to smell the flowers... impressed the heck out of me anyway!

Shawn

post #628 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

Nice photos, Shawn.

Gary
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #629 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Amen on the shower rocking!
We had originally planned on taking 4 days this past weekend but the forecast for yesterday was miserably hot and windless so we pushed ourselves to get home on Sunday. That sort of prompted my question. We are in the inner harbor because with the animals at home we end up doing more day sails than overnighters and the Canton area lends itself to entertainment outside of sailing. When we're "animal free" I'm pretty sure we'll be looking for a marina much closer to the bay and its destinations. In fact, I just had a conversation with the owner of Fairview marina this morning. Our next long weekend trip will probably entail a Wednesday or Thursday overnight in Rock Creek with a quick haul in the morning for bottom cleaning, then on our way.
I can get 6 kts cruise under power if I want but I prefer to not push the old A4 since it has been so good to me up the this point.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Fairview is a good marina. I used to pull my boat there. I was on Rock Creek for 10 years at MYC.
Cut 1.5 hours off you trip each way from there.

We are in Whitehall Creek just north of Annapolis. It takes 20 minutes longer by car and it opens up so many more traveling areas you probably won't duplicate all summer. Also it's a marina with 95% sailboats, pumpout s at your boat and at least $1250 cheaper than Fairview, $2000 cheaper than MYC. Plus you are in theBay in 20 minutes. Even in Rock Creek you are over an hour to theBay.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #630 of 1316 Old 06-13-2017

I do not miss Rock Creek at all, although chances are I may end back there at one of the marinas someday Being on the Chester, I find it so much more appealing. Much less boat traffic, weekends and weekdays...even with the Kent Narrows nearby. I can be sailing from Castle Harbor in a matter of minutes, and head up the Chester for peaceful, beautiful and less fetch then the Patapsco can have, yet one can easily head South or North via the Kent Narrows or the Bay in no time. No commercial traffic to watch for. You can cut Love Point pretty easily and safely if headed South and if heading North youre in nettle free summer water within a couple hours.

I have been on the Chesapeake in some way shape or form since I was a little kid. My first recollection of being out on the water was 1976 when Baltimore was hosting the Tall Ships for Americas Bi-Centennial, aboard a Owens 35 I think. Grew up around Middle River area as my Grandfather was a member and Commodore at Baltimore YC for many years and my Uncle kept their Bristol 35.5 at Maryland Marine, my best friends family (same who had the Owens in the 70's) still keep their Morgan 33 OI at Essex Marina on Hopkins Creek/Middle River. I've kept a boat of some sort on the Grays Creek/Magothy, Blackhole Creek/Magothy, Back Creek/Bodkin Creek, Oak Harbor Marina-MYC-and Fairview Marina all on Rock Creek, Sue Creek/Middle River, Frog Mortar Creek/Middle River, Gunpowder River, and my first boat on Bush River past the Bridge at a friends residence. Al had their advantages and disadvantages at the time. All said, I still feel somewhere near the Bay Bridge is ideal for me. I like to be able to go North in the sweltering months to swim if I want in nettle free freshish water or South for more open sailing. I could never find the Severn or Annapolis area attractive, simply too many boats of all kinds. The congestion of regattas, fishing boats, sailboats, mega yachts, little runabouts, anything and everything is just not appealing to me. But I'm still a sucker for a trip to Annapolis once a year, I just try to make it a weekday if I can (Blue Angels excluded, that is worth the ridiculousness IMO).

G Stud, thank you for the kind comment. Proof at least someone enjoys the pics even if its only you LOL... you "old codger with bad lungs"

Wheres my damn Smoked Salmon BTW.. its almost Sunday, I need it with my Kona Coffee and Bagel! oh wait.

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in