2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 68 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #671 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017
美國佬

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
The season which contains temperatures tolerable for being on the water is quite long. Usually from April-ish until November and sometimes December.
The season which contains good sailing can be a bit less. It depends on how long the Bermuda high pressure systems hang around, killing the breeze during the summer. Also, some people regard summer as too hot to enjoy.
I object to the idea that the wind on the Chesapeake can be grouped into "seasons". The wind here is fickle, unreliable, and knows exactly how to vary in strength and direction to maximize frustration and anxiety. Take, for example, yesterday:

7:00 AM - Chestertown - the tide has turned in my favor. There's a light breeze from the S/SW, which is where I need to go, so I motor downriver for a mile or so, past "Devil's Reach" (so named because it was hard to tack through in days of yore).
8:00 - 11:00 or so - tacking against wind that fluctuates up to 60 degrees especially just as I try to round each bend in the river. This takes so long that the current is now against me.
12:00 - I finally reach the open part of the river, and now the wind's blowing 15 knots plus from the SW. I change jibs and tack W and S against this for the next few hours. There are some sailboat races going on, with a few cruiser types motoring around them.
2:00 - I reach the part where a SW wind would be perfect to get around the bend in the river, something I've been waiting for, and the wind dies. I motor to the green can at the bend and put up the 135 genoa. While motoring, the breeze seems to pick up and I get the impression that the next leg will be great.
3:00 - 4:30 - It turns out the breeze I felt was all in my head, and there's not even enough breeze to sail a deep reach effectively, though this would have been a sled ride if the wind that I had to tack against for so long had held.
4:30-5:00 - I round Love Point and reach the open bay. There are warnings of thunderstorms on the radio and I can see a large one over the land to the west. The wind is now blowing 20 knots from the south, the direction of the bay bridge. I take down the 135 and once again put up my ancient reefed jib and tack toward the bridge as the seas and wind build. Luckily the thunderstorm dissipates, but there's much anxiety about going under the bridge when I can only tack parallel to it. I worry that the boat will stall when hit by a wave and what it will say in the newspaper about me when I smash the boat into an abutment. Cargo ships and barges pick just the moment I get close to the bridge to appear out of nowhere. I nearly get run over by a motor boat bashing and pitching through the waves on its way to the yacht club on the eastern end of the bridge.
6:30 - We finally make it under the bridge. Heeling 30 degrees and bashing through seas large enough to drench me and the boat. A few come aboard into the cockpit. I'm soaked.
7:30 - When I reach the yellow A marker off of Annapolis, I turn up the river. 1 mile later, even with the Naval Academy, I could be on a lake - some following wind, but no sign at all of the conditions I just left.
7:30 - 10:00 or so - I glide 8 miles up the river to the dock with a steady but barely noticeable tail wind .
chef2sail, oldlaxer1 and Ajax_MD like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 06-18-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #672 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017

I can't sail today for various reasons, but after reading willyd's summary I feel like I've had enough for the weekend. lol
T37Chef and willyd like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #673 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017

Sure glad I drink.

Gary
T37Chef and willyd like this.

post #674 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017
美國佬

the guide book refers to Chestertown as a "crowded" anchorage. this is how crowded it was on Friday:

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #675 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017

Willy, this weekend's nasty weather forecast may have something to do with the lack of boating activity on the bay. An hour ago, here in Bel Air, the sky was black and gloomy, and now, the clouds have lightened, scattered and there are some patches of bright blue showing. Down south, though, they got hammered in some locations with thunderboomers for the past three days. Same holds true for the PA and NJ guys.

BTW, you will find some great white perch fishing just a few hundred feet downriver from the bridge on the north side in about 10 feet of water. Lots of big catfish there at times as well.

Be safe out there,

Gary
willyd likes this.
post #676 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Two 19 miles tacks against a 30 knot breeze and we pulled into The Town Marina in Cape Charles. Ride as a tough one with 4 ft seas 5 second interval.

Down by the Cape there were no less than 15 freighters/ tankers anchored and moving. Thank god for AIS and radar as you couldn't tell easily who was moving.

Nice quaint little town. Donna is out reconnointering and we're having dinner at the local restaurant here. Probably breakfast tomorrow too.

Time for a nap....
willyd and oldlaxer1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #677 of 1316 Old 06-18-2017

Dave, I spent a lot of time in that town, remember when I first went there in about 1950 when it was a rundown fishing village and the only industry was the railroad yard and seafood. Things have really changed for the better there, though some of the old timers may not agree with me about that.

Way back when there was a restaurant, one of maybe three in the town at the time, call Etzes Restaurant. That was about 1970. They sold a 2-poudn serving of sauteed backfin crab meat, plus french fries and hush puppies for $7. It was a gastronomical adventure to say the least. I can clearly remember the waitress scampering from table to table barefooted and the bottom of her feet were black as coal with dirt and grease from the kitchen. OMG!

Captain Otis Asal, who is still alive and kicking, at that time, run a charter fishing boat out of Kings Creek Marina. He later sold his boat to the guy that owned the local tackle shop, retired for a few years, then bought another boat and went back to fishing. He's still fishing today and I think he's in his early 80s. Otis had a reputation of the best tuna catching captain in the mid Atlantic region.

Wind was howling about 35 in the upper bay today, kicking up 2 footers with white caps at Port Deposit, which is very, very rare indeed. I drove up to the boat to get some part numbers for my electric water heater element so I can get it replaced in the next few weeks. The mechanic said the replacement job was a piece of cake, at least for him, because Mario is skinny and can easily access the engine compartment. I'm too old, fat and claustrophobic to climb into that space.

Have a safe trip back,

Gary
post #678 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

We re-launched Echoes after getting the shaft and prop straightened & tuned and back from the prop shop. The shaft was 0.0007" off and the prop had two blades that were 1/4" off. Saturday's test run was a success with most of the vibration at 2200-2400 rpm gone. We can now hit our cruising speed without fear! Zimmerman Marine will do the in-water engine alignment this week and that should smooth things out a bit more.

Looking back, I still don't know the cause of the vibration developing. Survey and delivery to Zimmerman Marine Mathews, VA had no vibration issues. Engine mounts and shims were replaced during the winter refit. The prop was painted with antifouling before launch and the paint was intact when we picked her up from the Mathews yard for delivery to Herrington Harbor North. We detected the vibration immediately when moving her and kept the engine below 2,000rpm. Zimmerman tried engine alignment with/without the drive saver, with vibration being worse with the drive saver. We removed the drive saver as Steve Zimmerman believed that it left too much of the drive shaft unsupported. Still, a bit of mystery to me why the vibration began. Something is missing. I have not yet seen the report from the prop shop.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #679 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I object to the idea that the wind on the Chesapeake can be grouped into "seasons". The wind here is fickle, unreliable, and knows exactly how to vary in strength and direction to maximize frustration and anxiety. Take, for example, yesterday:

7:00 AM - Chestertown - the tide has turned in my favor. There's a light breeze from the S/SW, which is where I need to go, so I motor downriver for a mile or so, past "Devil's Reach" (so named because it was hard to tack through in days of yore).
8:00 - 11:00 or so - tacking against wind that fluctuates up to 60 degrees especially just as I try to round each bend in the river. This takes so long that the current is now against me.
12:00 - I finally reach the open part of the river, and now the wind's blowing 15 knots plus from the SW. I change jibs and tack W and S against this for the next few hours. There are some sailboat races going on, with a few cruiser types motoring around them.
2:00 - I reach the part where a SW wind would be perfect to get around the bend in the river, something I've been waiting for, and the wind dies. I motor to the green can at the bend and put up the 135 genoa. While motoring, the breeze seems to pick up and I get the impression that the next leg will be great.
3:00 - 4:30 - It turns out the breeze I felt was all in my head, and there's not even enough breeze to sail a deep reach effectively, though this would have been a sled ride if the wind that I had to tack against for so long had held.
4:30-5:00 - I round Love Point and reach the open bay. There are warnings of thunderstorms on the radio and I can see a large one over the land to the west. The wind is now blowing 20 knots from the south, the direction of the bay bridge. I take down the 135 and once again put up my ancient reefed jib and tack toward the bridge as the seas and wind build. Luckily the thunderstorm dissipates, but there's much anxiety about going under the bridge when I can only tack parallel to it. I worry that the boat will stall when hit by a wave and what it will say in the newspaper about me when I smash the boat into an abutment. Cargo ships and barges pick just the moment I get close to the bridge to appear out of nowhere. I nearly get run over by a motor boat bashing and pitching through the waves on its way to the yacht club on the eastern end of the bridge.
6:30 - We finally make it under the bridge. Heeling 30 degrees and bashing through seas large enough to drench me and the boat. A few come aboard into the cockpit. I'm soaked.
7:30 - When I reach the yellow A marker off of Annapolis, I turn up the river. 1 mile later, even with the Naval Academy, I could be on a lake - some following wind, but no sign at all of the conditions I just left.
7:30 - 10:00 or so - I glide 8 miles up the river to the dock with a steady but barely noticeable tail wind .

Point taken.
willyd likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #680 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

For Father's Day, I gave my family an option:

1. Cook me the breakfast of my choice.
2. Crew for me in a short, casual race at EYC on Saturday.

They opted for the crewing option, so we did that and had a good time with a great lunch afterwards.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in