2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 69 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #681 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

You can't say you had a "great" day working on the boat so I'll just say I had a very successful day tacking some boat tasks yesterday. I finished the install and cleaned up wiring for my new deck wash down pump so I won't get covered in mud for the rest of the season when we weigh anchor.

Next I noticed my brand new started battery was showing pretty low on the meter so I disconnected it and put it on a smart charger I keep around the house. Interestingly that charger showed the battery in pretty decent state of charge so I started trouble shooting. I just put this battery in a few weeks ago and it wouldn't start the engine without help from the house batteries. Some checking with the multimeter showed I was having a nearly 5 volt drop on the ground cable between the battery terminal and a central grounding lug about 6' away. The terminals look a bit corroded but not really terrible but the meter said the cable was in bad shape so I ran up to WM and crimped up a new one and viola, engine cranks over hard with just the started battery now. 2 tasks down!

So next I start looking for a pesky leak in my fresh water system. I knew it was leaking since the start of the season as I'd hear the pump kick on but I couldn't find the source, so we just been turning the pump off when we didn't need running water. With some wiggling, and blindly feeling around, I found a small leak on the pump itself which was fixed with a quarter turn of the fitting. The larger leak was on the hose connecting to the water heater where I had a mis-placed hose clamp during recommissioning . Moving the clamp bit further up the barb solved that and the pump didn't kick on again in the next hour so I know the system is holding pressure now.

Lastly, in messing with the batteries I cut power to my media player/FM radio. The cockpit speaker on that unit hadn't been working since late last season when I thought I might have accidentally hit them with the power washer. I messed with them last weekend and got nothing but some muddy noise so I ordered replacements from Amazon. For some miraculous reason they started working fine when the radio was powered back up. I didn't even know it. I was down below reprogramming the unit when my wife came back from the car and said I might want to turn the volume down as it was blaring in the cockpit. I check and sure enough they sound like brand new. My replacements are due Wednesday. LOL I guess I'll hang on to the and try the old one again as they may crap out again but it seemed I had the "Midas touch" yesterday.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

For Fathers day my wife, #2 son and I had a nice brunch in Canton at Mama's on the Half Shell and then we had a beautiful sail on the Patapsco. Not hot, plenty of breeze. Dropped my son off at the Rusty Scupper so he could walk up the hill to his house. Admiral and I took another lap it was so nice out.
T37Chef likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #683 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Waiting for giant T storm to psss through to walk over to Kelly's Gingernut Pub for some authentic Irish good . Hard to believe to find it here but we will see.

Good about staying here. Inexpensive 1.50 per foot. Nice accommodating people. Great showers. Floating docks . Great for traveling but you know how I feel as a permanent slip. Lots of great places to eat. Friendly to tourists. Only bad, the rolly slips.
Even with a breakwater there is a lot of motion at the docks. Couple boats sawed through lines. Long (45 ft) fInger piers. Bring fenders , large ones, ask for a tie to them in the wLee of the wind. Prevailing here is a S/ SW

Views are spectacular except for the concrete plant. Was a good stopover where we didn't expect much.

Tomorrow we are heading back accross to Myer Creek, Corotoman River, on the Rappahanock River
To anchor, the. Around the corner to Fishing Bay on the the Piankatank River.the next day We decided to wait to revisit Yorktown till our September trip.

After that 2 days on Indian Creek at Kilmarnock Ward at a marina. Will need some fresh fruit and veggies by then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #684 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

Yankee Point on Myer Creek is my home port. I'm going to be there tomorrow and Wednesday doing some boat maintenance. If you are interested, I could probably get you a ride into town. PM me if you want my contact info.

Your posts have been entertaining me for a few years now, so I'm happy to do you a favor if I'm able.
chef2sail likes this.
post #685 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

Both kids and I got a later than expected start Friday, but were in time to arrive at the boat with a little daylight left and proceeded to make the inside as messy as possible. Kids seemed to sleep like logs. I seemed to sleep like I do when I'm camping - badly.
Finally flushed and filled the water tanks Saturday morning after a lovely breakfast at Java Rock.
When we got out on the water it was choppier than I have seen it, but the kids enjoyed the mini roller coaster.
If anyone saw a boat badly tacking with just a jib between 260 and 120 deg, that was probably me, practicing. Definitely easier by the 10th tack.
After a further motor south, I was halfway getting the mainsail up before one of the crew complained about seasickness, so we turned it around.
Docking is getting slightly easier too. It's undocking that's giving me more trouble.
I replaced the stereo while kids enjoyed the AC of the marina reading room.
To anyone in the marina who heard Whole Lotta Rosie blaring out for the stereo christening, I truly apologize.
punahougirl84 likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #686 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Yankee Point on Myer Creek is my home port. I'm going to be there tomorrow and Wednesday doing some boat maintenance. If you are interested, I could probably get you a ride into town. PM me if you want my contact info.

Your posts have been entertaining me for a few years now, so I'm happy to do you a favor if I'm able.

Thank you for the kind words and offer. Yankee Point looks like a top notch place to keep a boat. That area is very nice and so many option close by on the Rappahanack and Piankatink let alone all the northern neck creeks

If we in fact anchor there I will look you up.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #687 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017
Tartan 27' owner

I enjoyed a nice visit your Chesapeake this past weekend arriving in the Annapolis area on Friday afternoon and overnighting at our dock off of Mill Creek (not far from Cantler's).
On Saturday the winds were modest from the S/SE allowing us to tack down to the South River and into Harness Creek (Mr. Skolnick lives somewhere on this beautiful inlet).
We were lucky, arriving on a Friday to only find one other sailboat anchored there where we would have preferred to be, but they were there first, and they seemingly had a full clear cockpit enclosure and perhapse water cooled AC. We anchored closer to the reedy sand bar that separates this gunk/hurricane hole from the main creek. This must have been my 5th or more overnight in Harness Creek and it has always been nice.
It was pretty warm but the wind ran most of the night making sleeping in the cockpit an option which is always memorable, until dew starts to set in. Then you appreciate a cabin, out of the dew.
Sunday broke still windy. As we motored back out of the South River I calculated that we were close to SCA warnings, with 20+ gusts (and more out on the bay). Our return sail out on the bay was quick if boisterous, requiring at least a jib reduction (I'd have preferred a reef 1st) with the S'erly winds causing some nice Chesapeake rollers we could only try and surf. Buzzing Thomas Point Light is always fun even if the boat is rocking and yawing while a shot glass broke below (who has shot glasses on sailboats?).
We had very nice weather Friday - Monday morning when I left early for my drive back to NY, racing the rain clouds up the coast. The heavy rain arrived hours after I had parked at home.
Lots of birds noted: ducklings, baby Osprey, pre-historic Blue Herons and all the usual suspects. Great visit for me - sorry I did not run into any of you.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #688 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017

Caleb, I have metal shot glasses on the boat, and I am sorry I missed you. You sailed within 7 miles of the marina where my boat is.

Good luck,

Gary
post #689 of 1316 Old 06-19-2017
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Caleb, I have metal shot glasses on the boat, and I am sorry I missed you. You sailed within 7 miles of the marina where my boat is.

Good luck,

Gary
Gary/G-stud,

I thought you kept your Morgan OI up near the Susquehanna?
Were you sojourning about the mid-Chessy about the same time?
We never got north of the Bay bridge.
Hope you were out travlin-easy in the mid-Chesapeake area. We had decent winds on Sat and stronger winds on Sunday but was a blast.
Wish I'd have known we were that close to you though.
T37Chef likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #690 of 1316 Old 06-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I enjoyed a nice visit your Chesapeake this past weekend arriving in the Annapolis area on Friday afternoon and overnighting at our dock off of Mill Creek (not far from Cantler's).
On Saturday the winds were modest from the S/SE allowing us to tack down to the South River and into Harness Creek (Mr. Skolnick lives somewhere on this beautiful inlet).
We were lucky, arriving on a Friday to only find one other sailboat anchored there where we would have preferred to be, but they were there first, and they seemingly had a full clear cockpit enclosure and perhapse water cooled AC. We anchored closer to the reedy sand bar that separates this gunk/hurricane hole from the main creek. This must have been my 5th or more overnight in Harness Creek and it has always been nice.
It was pretty warm but the wind ran most of the night making sleeping in the cockpit an option which is always memorable, until dew starts to set in. Then you appreciate a cabin, out of the dew.
Sunday broke still windy. As we motored back out of the South River I calculated that we were close to SCA warnings, with 20+ gusts (and more out on the bay). Our return sail out on the bay was quick if boisterous, requiring at least a jib reduction (I'd have preferred a reef 1st) with the S'erly winds causing some nice Chesapeake rollers we could only try and surf. Buzzing Thomas Point Light is always fun even if the boat is rocking and yawing while a shot glass broke below (who has shot glasses on sailboats?).
We had very nice weather Friday - Monday morning when I left early for my drive back to NY, racing the rain clouds up the coast. The heavy rain arrived hours after I had parked at home.
Lots of birds noted: ducklings, baby Osprey, pre-historic Blue Herons and all the usual suspects. Great visit for me - sorry I did not run into any of you.
sounds like you had a nice trip on the bay sorry we missed you.

I was driving westbound on the Bay Bridge about 2:30 and saw a sailboat that had landed just north of the Bay Bridge on the shore not far from the jetty. It appears the sails were shredded... I did not see any persons aboard but there was a police boat on scene looking like they were waiting for a tow boat? Did anyone hear anything about this I hope no one was injured or worse.

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in