2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 71 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #701 of 1316 Old 06-21-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Thank for the tip! we'll give Worton creek a try instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 1316 Old 06-21-2017

Would not recommend anchoring in Bush River, Worton is a much better bet.

Gary
post #703 of 1316 Old 06-21-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
Thank for the tip! we'll give Worton creek a try instead.
If winds are west anchor inside just past Worton Creek . Not sure of draft but it's 6 ft for a small stretch. Great wind protection and nice setting lots of hawks and we've spotted bald eagles there and on the outside. Watch the birds line up on the picket fence of the fish traps and fight each other for spots all morning

If you stay in the outside anchorage:

If winds NW you should get good protection from northern shore of outside anchoring area. Depths are good close to shore

That's where we like to anchor but sometimes if the wind is wrong, even on a begnign breeze day it can get rolls because of the fetch

It won't be SW that day, but if the winds SW we anchor on the south side close to shore west of the R2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #704 of 1316 Old 06-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
This is from today - pay no attention to all the fat man behind the wheel - I've gained a ton since the docs put me on prednisone. I feel and look like a blimp, but now I can go several hours without supplemental oxygen, which feels pretty darned good for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fX...ature=youtu.be

Gary
That's SO AWESOME! You have SAILING FACE! Such a big smile - so glad you got a med that gives you some freedom and the ability to sail with such joy! YAY!!!
T37Chef likes this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #705 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017 Thread Starter

Currently at Smith Point , southern side of the Potomac crossing over going north in very begnign conditions. The forecast was for strong southerly winds the next two days gusts to 37 so we decided to cross today even though we wouldn't be beating into it.

We've decided the Potomac has its own weather conditions and the wave action sucks, especially when wind against current it becomes a dishwasher. We may stop at Solomon's or continue to the Choptank which is a good haul from the Rappahanack.

Conditions perfect starting Later on Saturday for T37 trip south down the Bay.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #706 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Currently at Smith Point , southern side of the Potomac crossing over going north in very begnign conditions. The forecast was for strong southerly winds the next two days gusts to 37 so we decided to cross today even though we wouldn't be beating into it.

We've decided the Potomac has its own weather conditions and the wave action sucks, especially when wind against current it becomes a dishwasher. We may stop at Solomon's or continue to the Choptank which is a good haul from the Rappahanack.

Conditions perfect starting Later on Saturday for T37 trip south down the Bay.
You've got that right.

I have a friend who lives down there and he insists on purchasing much smaller headsails than you'd expect for someone who sails on the Chesapeake in the summer. I've razzed him about this many times, but when I look at Sailflow, he is almost always getting stronger breezes than many places on the bay. I can't fault his choice.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #707 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017

There's always a breeze at Point Lookout and Smith Point - I loved fishing and sailing in that area, however, the best sailing takes place along the eastern side of the main shipping channel. Pretty consistent winds there, at least from my experience.

Stay safe,

Gary
post #708 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017 Thread Starter

I use SailFlow also.....most accurate ap I have found.

Usually I can't use the autopilot much crossing the Potomac however today is a perfect day for it. If I had to steer I'd be sleepy as hell. Instead I can be here on my I pod awake...lol😎😎😎😎

We've had a good trip so far. We haven't been scared off by the chances of rain each day which is the norm for the Chesapeake in the summer, but have been prudent with the T storm lines and development. We visited mostly new spots, and definitely like the different flavor the southern Bay has to offer.

Slip and marina fees are half what they are in the northern and mid bay. Anchorages are truly rural. Next time down ( maybe in mid September) we go up the Rappahanock further past Urbana. We like to visit Yankee Point Marina,

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #709 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017 Thread Starter

Almost at Solomon's

We are going to soldier through and get to Boby Owl Cove on Ledenham Creek, Broad Creek , Choptank .
A nice 75 mile trip...lol

It's pretty hot out today.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #710 of 1316 Old 06-22-2017

It's always hot when you're sailing with the wind, which for me, is rare. Damned wind's always on my nose.

Have a safe trip, Dave, and I hope to catch up with you next week. I'm heading south on Wednesday, and the long range forecast looks great for a change.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in