2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 76 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Actually weather helm is caused by a too powerful main moving center of effort too far aft. Reefing the main will minimize that. Flattening and spilling air by allowing twist at the top of the leach and traveler all the way leeward is the easiest method short term but that can cause excessive flogging. Reducing your headsail while keeping a full main could worsen the weather helm as the genoa's center of effort is forward creating lee helm offsetting the weather helm created by the main. (sailing under genoa alone in a decent breeze will show how much lee helm is created by the headsail)

I have the trolling motor but last year I bought a used 2 hp johnson that weighs in at about 25 lbs. Getting the trolling motor and the battery on/in the dinghy was just as hard as getting the small johnson on board. I keep the fuel on the rail. Like Ajax said, if you're planning a longer ride, the gas engine would be your best bet but for very short trips I'd stick with the trolling motor.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

I've got an old Cruise & Carry (still works) 2.7 hp two stroke that weighs 17lbs...
post #753 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Nothing wrong with Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha... etc... if you can get non ethanol fuel otherwise just run the carburetor dry if you're not using it daily. The issue is the fuel, not a brand. So essentially it's user error. Yeah, I see folks struggling to start their small outboards all the time. If you can't get ethanol free fuel then at least add an octane booster and a fuel stabilizer. Don't fill the tank for what you think you may use in a month or less.

The other item to check is the fuel lines. Last year I noted a small crack in the line, which abi be idle would cause the engine to die sucking air in, quick snip and fixed.

The propane engines, which Lehr seems to still be the primary manufacturer, seem to have a good reputation however they to have had issues, just do a Google search

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #754 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Nothing wrong with Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha... etc... if you can get non ethanol fuel otherwise just run the carburetor dry if you're not using it daily. The issue is the fuel, not a brand. So essentially it's user error. Yeah, I see folks struggling to start their small outboards all the time. If you can't get ethanol free fuel then at least add an octane booster and a fuel stabilizer. Don't fill the tank for what you think you may use in a month or less.

The other item to check is the fuel lines. Last year I noted a small crack in the line, which abi be idle would cause the engine to die sucking air in, quick snip and fixed.

The propane engines, which Lehr seems to still be the primary manufacturer, seem to have a good reputation however they to have had issues, just do a Google search
After 6 years with a Honda outboard on my C250, I've got the ethanol fuel thing down. I burned the carburetor dry every time and made sure to close the vent on the tank, and dumped the fuel in the car once a month. It may be a bit trickier with an integral tank, but I'll figure something out. Hopefully there's a place on the fuel hose where I can put a T-valve to easily drain the tank at the end of every cruise.

It sounds like Suzuki is having some factory-to-dealer incentives before model changeover, so the right deal could cause me to pull the trigger quickly.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #755 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

I've been dinghy and outboard shopping for better than a month. Getting the refit finished means picking one up is pretty high on our list. The small 4-stroke outboards from Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha are intriguing. I have friends who love their Honda 2.3hp and one who hates the noisy air cooled engine. I'm leaning towards a used small Honda for now. We have a 4hp and a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke on our boat in the Caribbean. The 4hp is just heavy enough that I wish we had a crane to get it on and off the dinghy. I'm not excited about a heavier 4-stroke. Interesting to see the positive review of the Lehr outboard. There seems to be love and hate for those.

We have a heavy Caribe RIB on our boat in the Caribbean and I don't want that for the Chesapeake. My lady is not a fan of tippy dinghies. I have been looking at used inflatables with high pressure floors rather than rigid hulls. I would love something that I can roll up and stow in a bag rather than sit on the deck.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #756 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

If you can find a used Suzuki 2 stroke 2 hp on craigslist or a yard sale grab it (or let me know and I'll take it as a spare!). Its small, light, quieter than the aircooled engines and simple enough to fix if needed. Running the carb dry, using the ethanol buster stuff and cleaning the plug every now and then keeps maintenance at a minimum. All parts are easily available online too.
Easy to haul onto a rail when traveling and it pushes a small dink just fine.

All that said I have a 2008 Mercury 4 stroke 4 HP I'm getting ready to put a for sale sign on. It looks like new, runs fine but is heavier (40 pounds or so) than I care to lift when pulling it off the dink at the mooring.

Last edited by Dfok; 06-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
post #757 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
If you can find a used Suzuki 2 stroke 2 hp on craigslist or a yard sale grab it...
I've been searching online for one the past few days. They must be hard to come by, unless you have a LOT of patience.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #758 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've been searching online for one the past few days. They must be hard to come by, unless you have a LOT of patience.
Probably getter harder to find, I got lucky and found one on craigslist a couple miles from my house after looking for a few days two seasons ago. A friend nearby got one locally last summer.
Keep looking, good luck - they are out there
post #759 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017

Did you get the 2 or 2.2? Any comments on design differences?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #760 of 1316 Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Personally the way we use our dinghy a two hp is less than adequate

Our SMALL Walker Bay weighs 72 lbs. We like to take longer dingy rides to areas inaccessible to our keel boat. We also don't want to beat into a wind with Chop with an underpowered motor. Many of the anchorages we have been to require a ten minute ride at least to sure. It also allows us to anchor in a nearby quiet area instead of around everyone else.

On our trips south and to the LI Sound where there are moorings it's nice to have a reliable strong enough motor

For these reasons if you are planning on having a reliable dinghy in the future instead of going too small and trying to trade up later buy something which dorsnt have an integral tank or if it is, buy the propane one where fuel is not an issue.

Because of the way we use our dinghy it was important we have one reliable and with range and power. If I was in the Carribean I'd probably go with a 9hp like T37Chef.

Understand I'm not badmouthing 2 hp ones , just saying I think you may outgrow it when you buy a different type of dinghy. It may work for your current situation, but will it be right 5 years from now.

We purchased a dinghy which could carry multiple passengers and had a good weight rating. We waited till we could afford the right motor

If you intend on anchoring in areas close by to where you'll anchor for a long time , ignore this, but if you will grow into this addition to your boat it is pertinent.

If you google the Lehr you will see about the same negatives as any outboard. I agree with T37Chef their is no brand deficiencies, it's the damn ethanol, if you want to be a slave to cleaning a car orator , additives, and carry a third fuel on the boat don't look at the Lehrs. Propane engines have been around for a long time. The technology is not new. Many cities buses use it. I make nothing on them and don't work for Lehr and wish others would jump into this market so there were choices and competition.

My main reasons for propane was
A 10 lb tank lasts 22 hrs
Fuel doesn't go bad
It needs no additives
It has no ethanol to gum up a carborator
Lessens the amount of types of fuel
Don't have to run dry the motor or worry how
Much fuel is onboard

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in