2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 80 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #791 of 1316 Old 07-02-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Several boats from the club arrived at Lloyd Creek before the storm, stayed a bit further apart than usual, most with close to 100 feet of rode out. After a bit of rain and wind we had a barbecue on the beach.
Headed to Havre de Grace for some fireworks tonight.

Chef, where did you anchor on the Sassafras? I saw mention of Mill Creek but I don't know of it.
We saw a group of boats anchored by the banks and the entrance to Lloyds Creek as we ran down the Sassafrass this AM. You must have been in that group

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 1316 Old 07-02-2017

I suspected Mill Creek might be beyond the bridge.
We usually head to GYB for the 4th fireworks. Rained out last year and this year they are doing them on Labor Day.
When the do shoot them off that mooring field is a great spot.
post #793 of 1316 Old 07-02-2017

I was holed up in Atown for a day while my friend Mario installed a replacement heater element in the 12 gallon hot water tank on the boat. A thundershower blasted through yesterday afternoon about 4 p.m. and then the temperature shot up to about 92 degrees with 80 percent relative humidity. This coupled with a code red air pollution alert makes life miserable for any normal human being. Unfortunately, I'm not normal! My lungs are shot to hell and I only have about 40 percent of my lung capacity remaining thanks to the US Navy having me, and others, remove old asbestos from steam pipes on the ship, then install new asbestos insulation.

Yesterday evening was brutal, mainly in that I could not breathe, even with supplemental oxygen running at 3 ltrs per minute. After a pretty much sleepless night, I decided to head back north and home to the comfort of AC and a cool shower. I still feel lousy, but with luck, this will improve by tomorrow morning.

I will also upload my videos from the trip along with a few photos. The vids pretty much portray what happens when you head dead into a 35 to 40 MPH wind in the upper Chesapeake south of Pooles Island. I can assure you that it got real bumpy when the tide and wind were both going in the same direction. This was the very first time that I actually had a wave come over the bow. I can also assure you that I was a happy camper when that wave hit the Morgan's barrier that prevents all but the worst waves from washing into the cockpit.

All the best,

Gary

post #794 of 1316 Old 07-03-2017

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #795 of 1316 Old 07-03-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by o[LIST=1
[/LIST]ldlaxer1;3980593]Take care of yourself and feel better soon!
Ditto

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #796 of 1316 Old 07-03-2017

Almost forgot, Shawn and Dave, the smoked salmon was rapidly consumed by just a few visitors in Annapolis. Guess you guys will have to wait for the next batch, or smoke your own if you have access to an electric smoker. Here's the recipe:

SMOKED SALMON

There are lots of good recipes for smoked salmon. Unfortunately, there are not many great recipes for smoked fish, but this particular one seems to be the best of all. After more than five years of experimentation, using every species of fish available in the mid-Atlantic region, the recipe has been modified until it has finally reached the pinnacle of perfection. If you enjoy the flavor of smoked fish, especially oily species such as salmon, bluefish, Atlantic mackerel, king mackerel and cobia, you'll love this.

BRINE SOLUTION
2 qts. Water
1 cup dark brown sugar
4 tblsp. Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
4 tblsp. chopped, fresh Vidalia onions
˝ cup kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tblsp. Montreal steak seasoning
6 drops Worcestershire sauce
1 tblsp. lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:
Thoroughly mix all ingredients of brine solution in a plastic container until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Using a flat, Tupperware container pour in a small amount of bring solution (about one-inch deep). Cut fish fillets into inch-thick, four-inch squares and place them in the container in layers. After the first layer is in place, pour in enough brine solution to cover them, then add the second layer and continue until all the fillets are covered with brine. Cover the container using a sealable lid or Saran Wrap and refrigerate for five days. Be sure to agitate the container at least once daily to prevent the brine ingredients from settling–this is important. If there are several layers of fillets, it's also a good idea to occasionally separate them at least once daily to ensure all surfaces are exposed to the brine.

At the end of the brining period, remove the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Place them on a broiler pan sprayed with Pam non-stick vegetable oil and bake in a 350-degree, preheated oven for 25 minutes, then place the fillets in the smoker. Using an electric smoker, smoke for approximately two hours using hickory chips. When the fillets are golden brown in color, remove them from the smoker, allow a few minutes for them to cool, then place them in Zip-Loc bags and refrigerate overnight before serving. While they taste good fresh from the smoker, the hickory flavor penetrates the meat completely when refrigerated in air-tight bags. The smoked fillets will last up to six weeks in the refrigerator and may be frozen for up to three months. Smoked fillets can be shredded and used with your favorite dip, or you can make a fantastic smoked salmon salad to be used as a substitute for tuna-salad. Enjoy!

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
post #797 of 1316 Old 07-05-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I took a couple days off work to make a long weekend. A busy weekend, with not a lot of sailing.

I did sail my Hobie all day on Sunday, which was really enjoyable. It's so different and primitive compared to sailing the Tartan. I love the bursts of speed. I never really had enough wind to fly a hull though, but close.

WM had a holiday sale on those Caframo Sirocco fans, so I bought one and moved the smaller cabin fan into the v-berth. I am impressed with the Sirocco fan. It's quiet, moves a lot of air and draws almost no power. It folds flat against the bulkhead when not in use. The timer function will probably prove useful. The Hella Turbo fan in the v-berth is a little louder, but we'll happily accept the tradeoff for better ventilation up there.

I also installed a 3-way switch to toggle the output of my solar panel between the house and starting battery. The switch also allows me to immediately disconnect the controller from the batteries in case the controller ever malfunctions in a bad way.

I installed a dock box at my slip to make switching between "racing" and "cruising" mode more convenient. No more stuffing my car full of cruising crap every Wednesday night or shuttling back and forth to the house. This has also helped declutter my home and garage a bit.
T37Chef, chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #798 of 1316 Old 07-05-2017

We took the short hop from our marina at the mouth of the Patapsco up to the Inner Harbor to take a transient slip at Lighthouse Point for Sunday and Monday nights. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough wind to sail on the way there or back. We did a lot of hanging out at the marina pool, which is one of the nicer, larger marina pools I’ve seen on this part of the bay. Our older daughter found some other toddlers to play with although she did get a little bored at times being cooped up on the boat. She was so tired yesterday she fell asleep on the cockpit seat on the way home. We didn’t stay for the fireworks as I needed to be back to work today and the girls go to bed too early to see them anyway. Hopefully next year.

We purposely didn’t go too far as we wanted to be able to bail out easily if our first overnight with 2 under age 3 completely melted down. All in all, I’d say it was a success and we’re looking forward to doing it again with the Rock Hall meetup in August. For that, we’d like to try to prearrange some play dates either with other little kid boats or with local kids in RH.

This trip also made us realize we probably won’t be tempted to return to an Inner Harbor marina as permanent slipholders anytime soon. Lighthouse Point was a fun getaway, and slightly more luxurious than the Anchorage (where we used to be slipholders), but it still has similar problems of parking, super long piers/walking distances to everything, and dirty water.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #799 of 1316 Old 07-05-2017

Pulling the boat today... time to sand, compound, wax, paint... enjoy sailing and feel free to give me a hard time. Only ten days until my three week cruise!

Shawn

post #800 of 1316 Old 07-05-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Pulling the boat today... time to sand, compound, wax, paint... enjoy sailing and feel free to give me a hard time. Only ten days until my three week cruise!
You won't get any static from me. I think doing a brief haul out to inspect and freshen things up during the hottest, least breezy period of the season is a smart move. I'm probably going to do the same thing in early August.
T37Chef likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in