2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 82 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #811 of 1316 Old 07-07-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

My daughter was coming in to Penn Station from her internship in NYC so we had a couple of hours before her train arrived and took the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely sail. Sailed under genoa alone reaching out of the harbor and right back in. Motor maybe ran 10 minutes max leaving and getting back in the slip. Beautiful night with a full moon A bonus night for sure. Hopefully we'll be back out tomorrow under full sail for at least a couple of hours before she's off to celebrate her best friends 21'st birthday.
chef2sail likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1316 Old 07-08-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Went to Annapolis and fueled up ( a whole 12.8 gallons) . First time since the Spring. As we left the wind piped up. Our intentions had been Chester ....maybe to find Rick but I noticed on SailFlow better wind south of the bridge. We dare code to go to one of favoritism which we haven't been to this year....Granery Creek on the Wye. And that's where we anchored.

It was one of the three best sailing days of the year. Steady 15....gusts to 20. Donna had the helm from the yellow Annapolis Bouy to Bloody Point at the mouth of Easter Bay. On a broad reach. We saw steady 7 knots with 8+ for long intervals. She was psyched by her speed and controlling the boat. She did a great job.

I took over the rest of the way and thundered up Eastern Bay at similar speeds on the opposite broad reach tack. It's rare to do 3Eastern Bay in one hour on one tack but we did. We then wing on wing sailed which I hate into the Wye and up it. 28 miles in 4.5 hours

We are loving the scenery here .

Dinner tonight is swordfish, potato salad, mozzarella salad and Belgian chocolate sorbet for dessert.
punahougirl84 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #813 of 1316 Old 07-08-2017

Dave, you wouldn't have found us in Corsica. We had similarly great sailing until rounding Eastern Neck, then the wind died so we motored up. Then the motor died, so the wind suddenly looked better. lol

Motor ran OK at low speed, but cut out at higher throttle. I've never had a clogged fuel filter, but this is exactly how I imagined it would be. I had everything I needed to change it in Corsica, but didn't want to do it myself for the first time 5 hours from home port. So we sailed home (great conditions again outside Love Point), and motored into the harbor very slowly. I always do a "dead stick landing" in neutral from the harbor through the fairway into my slip, so if the motor cut out we had the genoa ready to roll out to get us close enough. Fortunately that wasn't needed.

We're waiting for a table at Harbor Shack, and I'll do the filters tonight after dinner, then a test run tomorrow. So for tonight we'll have to suffer in A/C. lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-08-2017 at 08:19 PM.

post #814 of 1316 Old 07-08-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Dave, you wouldn't have found us in Corsica. We had similarly great sailing until rounding Eastern Neck, then the wind died so we motored up. Then the motor died, so the wind suddenly looked better. lol

Motor ran OK at low speed, but cut out at higher throttle. I've never had a clogged fuel filter, but this is exactly how I imagined it would be. I had everything I needed to change it in Corsica, but didn't want to do it myself for the first time 5 hours from home port. So we sailed home (great conditions again outside Love Point), and motored into the harbor very slowly. I always do a "dead stick landing" in neutral from the harbor through the fairway into my slip, so if the motor cut out we had the genoa ready to roll out to get us close enough. Fortunately that wasn't needed.

We're waiting for a table at Harbor Shack, and I'll do the filters tonight after dinner, then a test run tomorrow. So for tonight we'll have to suffer in A/C. lol
Good plan of attack. We've practiced coming n our slip with no motor. In fact we set our lines up that way to stop the boat.

We always have a jerry can of 5 gallons of diesel and a small measuring cup with a spout just for filling the Racor after changing the filter. One of the worst places I had to do this was on a trip in Delaware Bay with 4 ft chop. I swear being down in the lazzerette was like the worst ride at Great adventure.
I must have bruised the top of my head in four places and Donna said when I climbed out, I was really "green".

Luckily our Yanmar usually doesn't require bleeding the injectors.

While your at it since you are runners no your AC. Check your water filters.....the nettles here are fierce.

Good luck on your change and hope it solves the issue.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #815 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

Motorsailing home with very little breeze. Least the humidity is gone. So clear we could see the domes of the tanks on the cliffs off of Cove Point down by Solomon's.

Gonna anchor in Whitehall Bay and take a snooze

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #816 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017

Gorgeous day today. Seemed like a nice breeze in the morning, but died around 10 am, so we didn't bother to go out.

My fuel filter replacement went well - I think. I waited until this morning so I'd have more natural light. The secondary filter came right off without a tool - possible cause for concern as a source of air contamination.

I'm very glad that I did not proceed to Corsica and attempt a fix there. My filter wrench was big enough for the Universal secondary filter, but not big enough for the spin-on Racor primary filter. So I would not have had all the needed tools. And it was much nicer working on a cold engine, with A/C running in the slip.

My fuel system has a recirculating arrangement where fuel goes though the banjo washers and back to the tank, continuously polishing the fuel. Some Catalina owners go so far as to suggest installing the secondary filter dry and letting the recirc system pump filtered fuel into the secondary filter to displace the air. I opted not to do this, figuring a few ounces of fresh fuel would never have enough particles to plug the secondary filter. I did not want to risk having a huge slug of air going through my system, even though the recirc system should, in theory, remove the air.

The Racor system is the less user friendly spin-on type (instead of the nicer type with drop-in filter), apparently selected due to limited vertical space under the aft berth. As a result, you can't really inspect the filter - you just take it off and can get a little bit of a look inside after you dump the fuel out. Once I had borrowed the needed wrench from a marina neighbor, I got the thing off, dumped the fuel, cleaned the bowl, refilled with fresh fuel, and got it back on. Primary filter definitely looked worse than the secondary filter, but that might just be an optical illusion because the sec filter captures particles too small to see with the naked eye.

I primed the system by running the lift pump for about 5 minutes to recirculate all the air out (or so I thought). I chose to do this on 50% duty cycle, because lift pump is wired with the glow plugs and I didn't want to burn them out.

Motor started up fine, but after about 3 minutes at 1200 RPM it starting shaking and I had to kill it. I started worrying about a plugged injector. But after about a 30 minute wait and more priming, it started again, shook for a split second, and then ran fine in the slip for about an hour. The true test will come next time I take the boat out.

I suspect that what may have happened was as one of the filters developed resistance to flow, a negative pressure may have built up sucking air through the loose secondary filter. That could have brought in enough air into the injector pump to mess things up between the recirc loop and the injectors. Obviously I could have bled the high pressure lines up to the injectors, but I'm glad I didn't have to because turning the wrong nut by the injectors can screw up injector adjustments, requiring sending back to the factory for re-adjustment. (Your ordinary shop down the street can't do it.)

I am still seeing some little "effervescent" bubbles in the Racor bowl when the engine runs. I think this is just some air that was trapped at the top of the primary filter getting broken up with the motion. They seem to be disappearing gradually. I'll continue to monitor just in case it's an air leak.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #817 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Gorgeous day today. Seemed like a nice breeze in the morning, but died around 10 am, so we didn't bother to go out.

My fuel filter replacement went well - I think. I waited until this morning so I'd have more natural light. The secondary filter came right off without a tool - possible cause for concern as a source of air contamination.

I'm very glad that I did not proceed to Corsica and attempt a fix there. My filter wrench was big enough for the Universal secondary filter, but not big enough for the spin-on Racor primary filter. So I would not have had all the needed tools. And it was much nicer working on a cold engine, with A/C running in the slip.

My fuel system has a recirculating arrangement where fuel goes though the banjo washers and back to the tank, continuously polishing the fuel. Some Catalina owners go so far as to suggest installing the secondary filter dry and letting the recirc system pump filtered fuel into the secondary filter to displace the air. I opted not to do this, figuring a few ounces of fresh futel would never have enough particles to plug the secondary filter. I did not want to risk having a huge slug of air going through my system, even though the recirc system should, in theory, remove the air.

The Racor system is the less user friendly spin-on type (instead of the nicer type with drop-in filter), apparently selected due to limited vertical space under the aft berth. As a result, you can't really inspect the filter - you just take it off and can get a little bit of a look inside after you dump the fuel out. Once I had borrowed the needed wrench from a marina neighbor, I got the thing off, dumped the fuel, cleaned the bowl, refilled with fresh fuel, and got it back on. Primary filter definitely looked worse than the secondary filter, but that might just be an optical illusion because the sec filter captures particles too small to see with the naked eye.

I primed the system by running the lift pump for about 5 minutes to recirculate all the air out (or so I thought). I chose to do this on 50% duty cycle, because lift pump is wired with the glow plugs and I didn't want to burn them out.

Motor started up fine, but after about 3 minutes at 1200 RPM a it starting shaking and I had to kill it. I started worrying about a plugged injector. But after about a 30 minute wait and more priming, it started again, shook for a split second, and then ran fine in the slip for about an hour. The true test will come next time I take the boat out.

I suspect that what may have happened was as one of the filters developed resistance to flow, a negative pressure may have built up sucking air through the loose secondary filter. That could have brought in enough air into the injector pump to mess things up between the recirc loop and the injectors. Obviously I could have bled the high pressure lines up to the injectors, but I'm glad I didn't have to because turning the wrong nut by the injectors can screw up injector adjustment, requiring sending back to the factory for re-adjustment. (Your ordinary shop down the street can't do it.)

I am still seeing some little "effervescent" bubbles in the Racor bowl when the engine runs. I think this is just some air that was trapped at the top of the primary filter getting broken up with the motion. They seem to be disappearing gradually. I'll continue to monitor just in case it's an air leak.
Good to hear it went so easily. It sounds like you fixed the issue. BTW when was your exhaust manifold elbow last repleaced?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #818 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

Last I posted we were headed for a snooze in Whitehall as there was no wind. Well 1:30 it piped up to 15-20 out of the NW and presented so good sailing . Nap got delayed till 4🤗🤗🤗🤗😸

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #819 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017

My body hurts a bit but the pain is worth the outcome....hopefully launch Tuesday just in time for a cruise somewhere... maybe North to Long Island, if not South on the bay. Weather will determine the choice.

Boat is looking good, got a lot completed this week. All that I have left to do it 3 coats on the teak, adjust the pitch on the prop, and and change oils in the engine and transmission.

Sanded the bottom, cleaned the hull and deck, compounded and waxed the hull, two coats of Pettit SR 60 on the bottom, Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Paint on the shaft, strut.and prop followed by SR60 on them (a first try for me but after consulting Pettit and if you read the can they suggest the same).

If I can i.will.wax one more.time.but honestly it's time.to.consider a paint job... the previous owner had some.patch work done that is really starting to.show difference in the patch and original gel coat. I have tried everything to blend them to no decent result.

BTW... Captain John's Hull cleaner is awesome. Best gel coat cleaner I have ever used. But On Off or others to.shame.

Just after haul out... embarrassing

Sanded, then first coat of Pettit SR

Compound and wax and first coat of teak
punahougirl84 and AJC506 like this.

Shawn

post #820 of 1316 Old 07-09-2017

Clarification.

Step...
One: haul, scrap, powerwash
Two: sand bottom
Three: Captain John the deck and hull
Four: clean teak
Five: compound and wax hull
Six: bottom paint x2, zinc coat and paint prop and shaft and strut
Seven: teak treatment
Eight: if time allows, wax again taping waterline
Nine: Sling and paint pads and centerboard
Ten: Adjust prop and Happy sailing

Shawn

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-09-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in