2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 85 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #841 of 1316 Old 07-15-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Today was a lovely day to be on the water! We only motored (we don't have our sails yet but we will Monday or Tuesday) but it felt SO GOOD to be on the water. We had the kids on the boat, did some work, and went to practice docking and setting up lines in our new slip. The boat slipped well through the water, engine started right up and to my mind she purred. My youngest was obsessed with pumping the manual bilge pump (though only a little water in the sump - the new low profile bilge pump had no work to do thank goodness).

I think everyone is feeling excited. Fingers crossed for good weather the 21st through the 24th - I think we can make that our first cruise weekend (stay on the boat Fri night, leave Sat, come back Mon)! Meanwhile, we'll be able to do race committee on Wednesday, and maybe get a couple afternoon sails in too.
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 07-15-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1316 Old 07-15-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Anchore way up the East Fork of Langford Creek about 1 mike past Cacaway . Was crowded so we soldiered on. Beautiful scenery with the herons fishing on the banks for bugs and a few Eagles and Hawks around.

We sent our water pictures to WBZ as we were probably the closest to it at one mile. . The storm wasn't a very bad one, but we've saw the rotating funnel at Gibson Island and it did touch down till after it was over the Bay. Closest we came was 1 mile, but we got awesome pictures.

We did stead away the best we could.

I will try and upload but I really don't like posting pictures on here. Last time I did someone hacked me.

Dinner was grilled Ahi tuna with seasame lime, potato salad and and Jersey tomatoes with mozzarella, later is homemade Belgian Chocolate gelato from our ice cream machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #843 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017

Did a catering event tonight on the Wye, a quick stop at the produce market and fuel in the morning and we're off for a two week cruise.

The water spouts on the Chester today were interesting, first time seeing such a well formed funnel. A couple years ago we were sailing near one off Bodkin point but really only saw water movement at the water, todays funnels was very well formed and lasted about twenty minutes... impressive site to see.

I would post a pic but photobucket sucks

We will eat well and sail fast... I hope

Cheers

Shawn

post #844 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017

Funny how a cruise gets me motivated to do so many projects... large and small. Sometimes it's the little things that bring so much satisfaction, something as silly as putting new stainless hardware on... maybe I'm just weird lol. Maybe its new teak finish? Or rewiring some electronics?

Shawn

post #845 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Saturday, 15 July: Damn it's hot for boat work! Thermometer on the boat was saying 97 most of the day, but I'm sure that doesn't take into account the humidity too. I'm sure I was drinking about as much water as I was sweating out.

Got to the boat at 7am, the tarp I had over the cockpit had plenty of water pulling it down, so I bailed it out with a bucket, took it off, then got to work.

I've been doing a lot of work on the boat for the past couple years so it was getting pretty dirty. I took everything off the boat that wasn't put away somewhere. I vacuumed then cleaned/dusted the galley and the salon/v-berth areas.

had a nice big lunch at Dockside, at Harrington Harbor North.

Got back to cleaning. Last visit, two weeks ago, I put the engine, that's been sitting in the garage for 1.5yrs, into the truck, took to the marina. Then they helped me get my engine back into the boat and it was set just below the companion way. I was able to lift and slide it into the engine space. That I did myself, while I probably should have had help, but I guess I'm stubborn that way. lol

https://youtu.be/tgj8dktwpY4

While I did a lot of cleaning inside the boat, I started cleaning cushions with a vacuum before putting it back in the boat. I was able to start putting things away into storage compartments while I was at it. After a while, the sun was getting low in the sky, so I started shoving everything else I could into the quarterberths in order to sort through those when I had more time. I didn't get pictures with everything else back in place, but I can say it is looking SO much better. I now have a place to sit and even lay down inside the boat

Last thing I did before leaving was setup the dodger for the first time to see how it all goes together. Left the marina at 7:30pm. Good 12.5hrs of boat work. Really a good time overall.

Still plenty of work to do on this refit but I think it's going pretty good right now.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #846 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017

Looking good, Dan. The boat looks fairly clean as well in the video, so you, obviously, have been working pretty damned long and hard lately. Now, if you throw your back out, I have a brand new Inversion Table that I will be more than happy to let you have. Works wonders for putting your back in shape, at least for young people, which I am not.

Good luck and I hope to see you again soon,

Gary
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (07-16-2017)
post #847 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017

Went down today but wind looked too light to be worth putting sails up.
So I did some overdue cleaning inside and out, a small bit of kayak testing and a large bit of lazing around in general.
Still good father son time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
T37Chef likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #848 of 1316 Old 07-16-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Looking good, Dan. The boat looks fairly clean as well in the video, so you, obviously, have been working pretty damned long and hard lately.

Gary
Thanks Gary. Yes, it's been a lot of work. I cleaned out the rest of the boat earlier in the day for some much needed cleaning. Working in mid 90s temps were not pleasant but I was able to get a lot done.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
-Paul Carvel
post #849 of 1316 Old 07-17-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Thanks Gary. Yes, it's been a lot of work. I cleaned out the rest of the boat earlier in the day for some much needed cleaning. Working in mid 90s temps were not pleasant but I was able to get a lot done.
Getting the engine installed is obviously a big step forward. What's your timeline? Any hope of launching this year?

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #850 of 1316 Old 07-17-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Getting the engine installed is obviously a big step forward. What's your timeline? Any hope of launching this year?
The plan WAS to launch by spring but that obviously didn't happen.

I'm still hopeful to launch this year, although visiting one day a week really slows things down. I still need to get some damage fixed from when hurricane Matthew came through.

Plenty of work ahead of me. So maybe sometime in September would work. Hopefully before the marina fills up with winter storage.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in