2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 87 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #861 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Taking a break this week from the Chesapeake and not a moment to soon. Temps look pretty challenging for the next 8 days or so

Going to Fly to Seattle for a 5 day charter in the San Juan Islands. Weather looks perfect for me there highs in the high 70s . Lows in the 50s

Been studying up on the currents and tides there as they are significant compared to the lack of them here.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #862 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017

High 70s , low 50s is my kind of summer.
Have fun!
post #863 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC506 View Post
High 70s , low 50s is my kind of summer.
Have fun!
ME too. The older I get the more the heat affects me. I can not believe I used to sail without a Bimini. Or work in hot kitchens.

Now I'm not as old as my friend Gary 🎂 But close enough
AJC506 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #864 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
ME too. The older I get the more the heat affects me. I can not believe I used to sail without a Bimini. Or work in hot kitchens.

Now I'm not as old as my friend Gary 🎂 But close enough
My excuse is "I'm Scottish and you can stuff these hot mid-Atlantic summers where it don't shine"
punahougirl84 likes this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #865 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017

Left Yorktown this afternoon and headed over to see the big ships in Norfolk. Anchored for the night in Willoughby Bay. Watching lots of Naval Air operations.

Grilled a whole butterflied chicken with some grilled romaine, tomatoes,eggplant, squash, onions. Great light meal to end a beautiful day. Finally some sailing today. 8+ SOG with the current into the James River, life is good

Shawn

post #866 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017

The breeze tonight is cool and perfect in the bay, a bit from the ocean keeping it cool and steady

Shawn

post #867 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
The breeze tonight is cool and perfect in the bay, a bit from the ocean keeping it cool and steady
Send some of it up to Philly please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
T37Chef and oldlaxer1 like this.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #868 of 1316 Old 07-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Left Yorktown this afternoon and headed over to see the big ships in Norfolk. Anchored for the night in Willoughby Bay. Watching lots of Naval Air operations.

Grilled a whole butterflied chicken with some grilled romaine, tomatoes,eggplant, squash, onions. Great light meal to end a beautiful day. Finally some sailing today. 8+ SOG with the current into the James River, life is good
We anchored in Willoughby on a trip once. Lots of neat activity.

Not sure if you looking for a diversion for a day, but a little further up the James before Warwick River in Newport News is the Maritime Museum which has the US Monitor in in.

It is one of the best museums I have ever been in. Not only does it chronical the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimack as the first ironclads, the Monitor is the first developement of "turret" technology which changed ship to ship warfare. No longer did ships had to turn broadside to fire its guns. It's pretty neat climbing in the Monitor.

We took a slip in the Leeward Marina first time at the foot of the bridge, Warwick Yacht Club the second and took a taxi over.

Just a thought.
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #869 of 1316 Old 07-21-2017

A former coworker that I haven't seen for 17 years drove all the way from Myrtle Beach to Rock Hall for ASA106 training (Delmarva circumnavigation with Tom Tursi's school). He's going to have some awful sailing conditions for the next couple of days.

We drove down this afternoon to have drinks and munchies with him and show him our boat.

We had hopes of maybe doing an evening sail as temperatures cooled, or maybe playing around on the dinghy (since the motor still needs breakin time). But we quickly realized that it was just miserable outside. I ran the diesel for awhile to test for air leaks, then we packed up and came home.

No sailing this weekend. Might try to break away for a couple days when temperatures break on Tuesday. We fly to the west coast next Friday, so not much sailing in the next couple weeks.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #870 of 1316 Old 07-21-2017

Hose connected to the wash down hose/pump run to the cockpit is a lifesaver in this heat. Bonus for doing dishes in the galley

On the hook tonight in Carter Creek. Enjoyed a nice evening in Cape Charles last night. Nice job with the new docks and facilities.

Hoping for some wind soon!

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in