2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 92 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #911 of 1316 Old 08-01-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I think you're looking at last year's results. We canceled on Saturday morning at the last moment because the PRO was uncomfortable operating and anchoring the committee boat in gale force conditions. I certainly agreed with this. Winds were 30 sustained with gusts to 35kts during the entire expected duration of the race.

We all went to the clubhouse for drinks and crab cakes instead.
I was wondering about this on Saturday...

I decided to come home Friday from Oxford instead of staying out until Saturday or Sunday. primary reason was not knowing if this storm was going to stall out and hang out for a few days which would have made getting back North painful. Could have certainly anchored in a protected Creek for another day or two but I don't regret coming back to the marina. It looked pretty ugly out there on Saturday I couldn't have imagined your race committee moving forward lol

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #912 of 1316 Old 08-03-2017
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

I had a great sail this past weekend with two friends from the military. Strong winds were forecasted from the north so I elected to visit Baltimore MD a port which I had normally bypassed for Annapolis and points further south. The Inner Harbor being just a short jaunt south of my Gunpowder Basin Marina made it a relatively short weekend trip with plenty of time to do some sightseeing especially since we were departing about noon.

I was somewhat apprehensive about where to stay in the harbor area especially if slips were available or if anchoring was a possibility but figured I could always visit the inner harbor and then spend the evening on the hook outside the harbor.
Saturday conditions were great with 12-15 mph winds blowing us at a reasonable 5.7 to 6.3 knots (high was about 7.3 knots) flying only a genoa. We did have a couple of sprinkles and one gust of about 20 mph but conditions were overall much better than forecasted. Did not notice a single other sailboat out on the water.

Arrived in the Inner Harbor about 1800 hrs. and anchored just off Fells Point to have a great dinner at a small diner named Ekiben which serviced what I can best describe as a high end Hawaiian box meal. Best meal I have had in many years and a tribute to 400 or so positive reviews on Yelp.

Came back to the wharf to see a Harbor Police Patrol boat next Dakota Lee (my Cape Dory 30B). As I got into my dinghy they motored over. Very pleasant and professional officers. They asked if I was the skipper and inquired if I was planning on spending the evening. I indicated that I had just had dinner and would be looking for a place to anchor overnight. They indicated that since I was out of the channel that I was fine where I was but that they would prefer that if were overnighting that I anchor between the USS Constellation and the Navy Sub over by the Baltimore Aquarium. I joked about if the City would have the buildings turn down the lights so we could sleep and we all had a laugh.

Weighed anchor and moved just off the paddle boat area next to the Pride of Baltimore and the USS Constellation and had an excellent experience. Caught the last hour of a concert and had what will surely be one of the most memorable anchoring locations in my career. It’s hard to explain the feelings one has when one wakes up in the pre-dawn hours next to a vessel like the USS Constellation!
On our way out we stopped at Fort McHenry and toured the grounds and were on our way back to the Bush River by 0900 hrs.

Bottom line, it was a great trip and I will surely do it again with my wife and other friends. A completely different experience from the typical Chesapeake Bay experience and one that should not be missed. Too bad it so hard to figure out what one can do and the City does not do more to advertise itself as a local sailor’s destination. Not NYC but not bad to have right in our backyard.

V/r

Pete
T37Chef, willyd, oldlaxer1 and 2 others like this.
post #913 of 1316 Old 08-03-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Great story. I thought we weren't supposed to go anywhere near the Constellation, let alone anchor there.
I'll have to remember this for my next visit.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #914 of 1316 Old 08-03-2017
Dakota Lee

Dock

I was surprised also. I have expected to be run off since the patrol boat had its blue flashing lights on. I was pleasantly impressed by the marine officer's professionalism, and was flabbergasted when I was informed that the preferred anchoring spot was right smack dab in the middle of all the City night life! The only complaint I could see is that one is somewhat in a fishbowl with all the night activities going on and that things did not quiet down until about 30 minutes after midnight. It was also so bright with light that I took my LED spotlight home to charge it only to discover that its charge was fine...just a bit weak compared to the Inner Harbor light pollution!

We did get run off of Fort McHenry at 0830 but only because the park did not open until 0900 hrs. (Park Volunteer Bird Watchers informed us of the rules) Boats are not allowed to tie in at the Park's dock (which is used by the Water Taxi service for delivery of tourists and has a locked gate) but nothing precludes one from anchoring out and using one's dinghy. One also has to figure out how to pay the entry fee since the inner portions of Ft. McHenry have signs indicating that they are a fee area. My observation is that the Park service has a commission with the Water Taxi service and that boaters and specifically Sailors are below their radar screen.

In the future I may anchor in the Inner Harbor for day while I tour the City and have dinner and then move to just off of Fort McHenry to catch the crack of dawn with Fort McHenry's red, white and blue flag becoming visible...might even play the National anthem and shoot off a rocket (will need to be careful about that!) But of course I already have a photo of my boat next to the USS Constellation which no doubt was the highlight of the trip! But if one has no problem with a full eight hours of sleep then the Inner Harbor rocks!

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast in the Inner Harbor.jpg   Anchored Ft. McHenry side up.jpg   Evening in Baltimore's Inner Harbor up.jpg   Fort McHenry Archorage up.jpg   Sailing past Pooles Island.jpg  

Rhapsody-NS27 and AJC506 like this.
post #915 of 1316 Old 08-03-2017
Dakota Lee

Dock

The Photo that I will treasure as a memory of my Inner Harbor visit..... USS Constellation moored in the same harbor as I! Now I need one of the USS Constitution in Boston!

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Next to the USS Constellation.jpg  
post #916 of 1316 Old 08-03-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

I'd love to visit Baltimore inner harbor area. Looks like a great place for exploration of the shore side. I might get up that way once I retire from the military myself (soon, very very soon)

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #917 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017
Chastened

I was investigating getting a slip at the City Dock, but the reviews have turned me off.
I can handle the dock master's alleged rudeness and handling my own lines when I arrive, but I'm not very tolerant of having total strangers board my boat for photo opportunities or curiosity seeking.

Looks like anchoring is the way to go!

post #918 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I was investigating getting a slip at the City Dock, but the reviews have turned me off.
I can handle the dock master's alleged rudeness and handling my own lines when I arrive, but I'm not very tolerant of having total strangers board my boat for photo opportunities or curiosity seeking.

Looks like anchoring is the way to go!
I agree. Or get a mooring . Remember there's some under the Spa Creek Bridge . Also water taxi goes to moorings. Keeps the tourists off.

Sometimes we will anchor in Back Creek , lot of traffic but good place to be and protected. Water taxi will even come once and hour if you don't have a dinghy or if it's too rough to go around the point to city dock.

DO NOT anchor in front of the Naval Achedemy wall. It's silt , unreliable and bumpy.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #919 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I agree. Or get a mooring . Remember there's some under the Spa Creek Bridge . Also water taxi goes to moorings. Keeps the tourists off.

Sometimes we will anchor in Back Creek , lot of traffic but good place to be and protected. Water taxi will even come once and hour if you don't have a dinghy or if it's too rough to go around the point to city dock.

DO NOT anchor in front of the Naval Achedemy wall. It's silt , unreliable and bumpy.
Sorry, I'm referring to Baltimore city dock. The harbormaster.
Docking Fees | Baltimore City Dockmaster's Office

You should read the reviews...sheesh.

post #920 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017
Dakota Lee

Dock

It's also interesting that Baltimore's Water Taxi will not stop at boats for pickup (we asked)... they only pick up at dock based kiosks. Inner Harbor just did not seem attuned to boaters....that being said I enjoyed anchoring out right in the middle of things, the Harbor Police were outstanding, and the dining as well as social amenities were world class. I will visit by boat again.

V/r

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in