2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 93 - SailNet Community
 1023Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #921 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Today may have been the best sailing of the year so far... and to say that in August is weird! lol

It was just wonderful, South winds 15 gusting to 20, Broad Reach up to Worton Creek for the night... and tomorrows forecast looks just as good with winds 15 gusting to 20 out of the North.

Anchored and went for a swim with the kids and checked the prop and stuff. Nothing yet to be found growing on the gear or hull... yay!

Kids have requested Grilled Tuna Tacos for dinner with all the fix'ins. New grill tryout tonight, I'm afraid to get it dirty lol.

Cheers to some nice sailing in August!!!

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017
Sailor

I was out most of the day today and have to agree it was perfect
post #923 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are also out. Agree with T37 one of the top days...especially for August. Tomorrow even better if possible with lower humidity.
We cruised through the bridge and are hanging out in Swan Creek. No crowd tonight. Conch just blew.

Tomorrow is a Wye Day as we cruise down to Bloody Point and up Eastern Bay to meet longtime friends who we love hanging out with. Probably going to a small creek or depression after Shaw Bay.

Dinner tonight was grilled marinated flank steak, grilled summer corn on the cob. Dessert now is grilled pineapple with a mango sorbet made with our new new ninja right on the boat at the anchorage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #924 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017

What is going on... I'm almost chilly?

Shawn

post #925 of 1316 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
What is going on... I'm almost chilly?
Nice breeze here in Swan Creek. Seeing 10- 12. Three quarter moon approx..
Almost makes you want to night sail except there are Tstorms lurking a couple hours west of here which need to come through uering in the frontal passage, drier air, and a NW flow.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #926 of 1316 Old 08-06-2017

We got out yesterday around 2:30. It was blowing pretty hard and typical of the Patapsco, pretty flukey but we had a great afternoon and evening. Can hardly believe it was August 5th and we had low temperatures and no humidity. Spent the night on the boat at the slip and needed a light blanket. Bonus day for sure.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #927 of 1316 Old 08-06-2017 Thread Starter

Friday was topped by Saturday though a little more wave action. We flew to Granary Creek on the Wye River in a 3hours 20 minutes hours a record for us for the 28 miles.

Haleakula average over 8 knots with some high 9s on a broad reach with no effort . When we slowed down to 6.5 my wife said...what's wrong... lol

Met up and rafter with old MYC friends who exodused when we did. Their Bavaria 36 was looking good as we flew by them on Eastern Bay. Then the race was on.

Dinner was grilled tenderloin and swordfish, stuffed mushroom caps and a salad. Dessert watermelon and mango peach freezes from my new Ninja toy.

Sleeping weather in the 50s was perfect.

Today.... no wind yet

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #928 of 1316 Old 08-06-2017

2017 Governor's Cup was a doozy. Broke my spirit in only 4 hours and we threw in the towel. Very little in the way of gusts but sustained winds started in the high teens and slowly ramped into the low-mid 20's more or less directly on the nose. The best knowledge I had lead me to the conclusion that the wind would not abate but likely would clock to keep it a beat the whole race. The chop Friday afternoon was as big as I've seen it and even with double reefed main and 4-5 rolls of jib in the boat was still getting hammered pretty good and the crew was already tired and wet. I figured the odds of someone getting hurt would increase exponentially as darkness and fatigue took over, so reluctantly made what I feel was the right call for us and we fell off to head for home.

On the way in, we did a 180 to head back out for a boat that reported taking on water outside Herring Bay and only able to keep up using two pumps and buckets. Skipper reported he was unable to determine the source and was concerned it was a keel/hull separation. We were still 20 minutes away when we saw and heard the USGG reach the vessel in distress, so no heroics on our part. We just did another 180 and headed home.

Rumor is they took everyone of the boat and towed the vessel into Herrington Harbor only my slip is one fairway away from the travel lifts and I never saw/heard any activity. Maybe after they got some bigger pumps going they were able to determine the source and stop it, as you'd think the only option if it was a keel would be an emergency haul.

Congrats to all that finished this year and especially the HHSA boats and most especially the Skipper and Crew of Lady Gray who won PHRF A2.
T37Chef, chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-06-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #929 of 1316 Old 08-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
2017 Governor's Cup was a doozy. Broke my spirit in only 4 hours and we threw in the towel. Very little in the way of gusts but sustained winds started in the high teens and slowly ramped into the low-mid 20's more or less directly on the nose. The best knowledge I had lead me to the conclusion that the wind would not abate but likely would clock to keep it a beat the whole race. The chop Friday afternoon was as big as I've seen it and even with double reefed main and 4-5 rolls of jib in the boat was still getting hammered pretty good and the crew was already tired and wet. I figured the odds of someone getting hurt would increase exponentially as darkness and fatigue took over, so reluctantly made what I feel was the right call for us and we fell off to head for home.

On the way in, we did a 180 to head back out for a boat that reported taking on water outside Herring Bay and only able to keep up using two pumps and buckets. Skipper reported he was unable to determine the source and was concerned it was a keel/hull separation. We were still 20 minutes away when we saw and heard the USGG reach the vessel in distress, so no heroics on our part. We just did another 180 and headed home.

Rumor is they took everyone of the boat and towed the vessel into Herrington Harbor only my slip is one fairway away from the travel lifts and I never saw/heard any activity. Maybe after they got some bigger pumps going they were able to determine the source and stop it, as you'd think the only option if it was a keel would be an emergency haul.

Congrats to all that finished this year and especially the HHSA boats and most especially the Skipper and Crew of Lady Gray who won PHRF A2.
Going south Friday had to have been a *****. Good choice. Save the crew and save the boat

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #930 of 1316 Old 08-06-2017

A near perfect day, beautiful sky, no humidity, temps in high 70s. Wife, son and first honored guest on board.
No sodding wind.
I kept my eye on various apps, all promising 4-6 knots at 1pm, then 2 pm then 3pm, only to find reality was 1 knot with occasional eddies.
Oh well. We motored towards the Bay Bridge, then motored back again. Millpond flat in places.

Still, we enjoyed the weather and being on the water. Good hoagies and some nice cheese.
And no one got seasick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in