SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

126K views 1K replies 51 participants last post by  oldlaxer1 
#1 ·
New thread for the new year. Can one of the mods please make it a sticky

Happy New Year to all our friends who ply the Chessi.e. And have a great sailing year.
Now who's the first one out?

#6 ·
I was thinking it was too early too.

But it's here regardless.

Good day working on the boat today. Got some things cleaned up and a major step towards one project and planning other projects... the continuing cycle of things.

Wind picked up today and out of nowhere, it started dropping down some snow flurries.

#8 ·
Sea Dragon made it ashore last Wednesday and yesterday I pulled everything off her for the winter. Now it is time to begin winter/spring launch projects which are mostly cosmetic - except for that pesky injector project.

The first on my cosmetic list to remove a 1,000 NM Chesapeake "Smile".

Garner

Attachments

#11 ·
Happy New Year all! It was a lovely day on the Bay today and a great way to welcome in the New Year. Warm enough to be comfortable. Enough wind to cover some serious ground in a short time, and still get home before the sun got so low that it became too cold. My only complaint is that the wind died off in the creek before we could sail into the slip and had to motor the last few hundred yards. Frankly that was fine since I would have had to crank the engine in order to winterize it again.

Jeff

Reactions: T37Chef
#14 · (Edited)
With Breakin' Away on the hard, it's winter project time for me. The last few days I installed a new support system under my boat cover to prevent snow damage, crimped a new float switch in the bilge, bought some new water heater hose to replace my A/C outlet's slightly damaged hose, picked up a few new keel nuts to be installed/tightened, tested my GX2150 VHF/AIS radio that I pulled from my old boat to ensure it's still working properly, started to enlarge the hole at my nav station to fit the new radio, brought my Nicro solar vent home for a battery repair, replaced some damaged parts on my Fortress anchor, and filled out a bunch of CG-719 forms. Whew - I need to go back to work so I can rest! :p

Later this month I have OUPV and Master upgrade classes, and in March ASA 106 training in Grenada and St. Vincent&Grenadines.

#15 ·
On Saturday John and I are heading down the bay to help with an offshore delivery to St. Thomas. John's absolutely giddy about sailing out of cold weather and into warm weather. I just keep looking at the forecast, then back at him grinning at me, then at the forecast, and throwing more layers of long underwear onto the pile. I realized yesterday during one of my long stares at the temperatures forecast for the weekend that this trip is nothing compared to what we plan to do with Next Boat, but still. Cold. Donna hates the cold.

#23 ·
What a great job. I am very impressed.
Like the conduit for the wires.
Suggest you leave a permanent messenger of some sort in the conduit for future use or replacement of bad wire.
Excellent improvement????????

#19 ·
Been doing boat projects... completely new headliner, been insulating everywhere including under the new headliner and added some beautiful LED flush mounted lighting in the salon. The boat is a complete wreck at the moment. Pulling the old headliner reqyired removing a lot of trim. Most all is put back now including teaknow plugs in many of the trim pieces then sanding. While I had access to much of the deck hardware I did a fair amount of re-bedding. Wired up and got all the new lights in and most of the trim back on yesterday. The next few evenings will be clean up and a light sand on the sole followed by a wood restorer. Lot of work but so worth it. The original lights were low and under, the new lights high give so much more light I wonder why I didn't tackle this project years ago. Last upgrade to lighting will be some LED strip lighting over the galley area and salon for "mood" lighting with a dimmer switch.

Pictures to follow soon.

Cheers

#20 · (Edited)
Old headliner removed

Wiring for new flush mounted LED lights, you can see a little bit of how I insulated. I use different types depending on location. I don't expect high Resolution rating but it's better than nothing.

Lights and trim back up

Under the settee

Under the pilot berth and galley

Looking forward

The light

#31 ·
Score! Well I just happened to look on a craigslist and see a guy not far away that was selling the remote command mic the works with our Standard Horizon VHF. Ours quit transmitting (radio worked fine from the Nav station) and eventually the "Command" part quit working as well, so it was essentially useful only as a remote speaker. I had the local marine radio shop have a look and they said the circuit board in the handset was toast, so my only option was replace the whole radio and remote mic, or get lucky and find a serviceable replacement to our out of production mic.

Picked it up today for the whopping price of $25, so 2017 is off to a great start for us. The guy replaced his radio and mic with the newer model with AIS - Which is what I was anticipating doing, but $25 against $500 plus a days work installing it, tilted me towards giving the use mic a shot.

#32 ·
Let me know if it doesn't work as promised. I have one that I'm about to replace. I brought my GX2150 and RAM3 mic (CMD30b) over from my prior boat, so the GX1260 and 1st gen RAM mic (CMD23w) have been pulled out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.