SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Safety at Sea Seminar in Newport News

978 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
For those in the lower Chesapeake Bay/Hampton Roads area the Mariners Museum in Newport News will be holding it's 7th annual Safety at Sea Seminar on Saturday, Feb 25th. This is a full day seminar covering topics such as: man overboard, safety equipment, first aid afloat, damage control and communications. A highlight will be a search & rescue case study presented by the US Coast Guard. There will be a hands-on flare demonstration and the opportunity to actually inflate a life raft. A US Sailing Coastal Safety at Sea certification will be awarded. For more information and registration see: Safety at Sea Seminar 2017 - The Mariners' Museum and Park.

#2 ·
I highly recommend the course, although, I have taken it in Newport, RI, with it's founding instructors. Up here, there is a separate module that allows for boarding a raft from the water, not just inflating it. If you never have, you'll want to give that a whirl too!! I guarantee the next raft you buy will have an inflatable boarding ramp. :)

#3 ·
This year is in Boston:
Safety at Sea Symposium
Sponsored by the Marion Bermuda Cruising Yacht Association and organized by the Blue Water Sailing Club, so race participants have a chance to do it if they haven't yet. Though, there is a different in schedule and price! I guess the practical seminar with the raft in the water makes it a plus...Thinking in taking it, even I am not a Bermuda race crew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.