Annapolis to Rappahannock River; mid-point overnight stop - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 04-20-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Annapolis to Rappahannock River; mid-point overnight stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
If the conditions are favorable I like the idea of going straight through overnight.

I keep my boat at Yankee Point. Maybe I can help.
Cruisers helping cruisers. Good on @CLOSECALL .

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Bailouts (not planned stops): Herrington Harbour North, Solomons, Yeocomico, Reedville. Eastern Shore bailouts will generally put you out of your way and make supplies, services, and transportation more difficult.
Very good suggestions with one exception. Instead of the Yeocomico, I'd head for the Coan River. Coming and going, it will save you 2 hours.
post #23 of 53 Old 04-20-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Very good suggestions with one exception. Instead of the Yeocomico, I'd head for the Coan River. Coming and going, it will save you 2 hours.
Agreed. That will teach me to work off memory instead of charts.

Really like the Coan. There is a marina in there with a man-made lagoon. I haven't been in years but it was great then.

post #24 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Quote:
Agreed. That will teach me to work off memory instead of charts.

Really like the Coan. There is a marina in there with a man-made lagoon. I haven't been in years but it was great then.
There's only 2 marinas on the Coan. Lewisetta Marina and Coan River Marina. Coan closed down a few years ago and I don't believe it ever opened back up. I've used Lewisetta for winter haul out for many years.
post #25 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

In recent years, I've found great, sheltered anchorage in Smith Creek, which is located directly across the Potomac from Coan River, about six miles upriver from Point Lookout. However, Lake Canoy is the closest anchorage on the Maryland side of the River, but limited to draft of 6 feet in the anchorage area.

As for the Reedville Rendering Plant, they must have found some way of cleaning up their emissions. The last two times I was down there there was no detectable odor, at least from Smith Point, which is where I usually noticed it the most. I believe they must have found a new, and legal, method of getting rid of their stick water, which produces the most odor and it is highly volatile. The facility was required to remove the stick water and transport it at least 12 miles offshore where they would pump it from holding tanks into the ocean. This mandate was frequently violated and the plant was cited several times by the feds.

Good luck,

Gary
post #26 of 53 Old 04-20-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
There's only 2 marinas on the Coan. Lewisetta Marina and Coan River Marina. Coan closed down a few years ago and I don't believe it ever opened back up. I've used Lewisetta for winter haul out for many years.
It might have been longer ago than I thought. It was a man-made dredged lagoon with half build out as a marina. They had an RV park and a campground as well. I looked at ActiveCaptain and Google Earth and the lagoon doesn't leap out at me. Any ideas?

post #27 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
In recent years, I've found great, sheltered anchorage in Smith Creek, which is located directly across the Potomac from Coan River, about six miles upriver from Point Lookout. However, Lake Canoy is the closest anchorage on the Maryland side of the River, but limited to draft of 6 feet in the anchorage area.

As for the Reedville Rendering Plant, they must have found some way of cleaning up their emissions. The last two times I was down there there was no detectable odor, at least from Smith Point, which is where I usually noticed it the most. I believe they must have found a new, and legal, method of getting rid of their stick water, which produces the most odor and it is highly volatile. The facility was required to remove the stick water and transport it at least 12 miles offshore where they would pump it from holding tanks into the ocean. This mandate was frequently violated and the plant was cited several times by the feds.

Good luck,

Gary

Last year we went by Reedville......still stinks....unforgettable smell ....they may have clean up the smell some but it still reeks if you anchor in the wrong spot or the wind shifts or dies while your close by

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #28 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Quote:
It might have been longer ago than I thought. It was a man-made dredged lagoon with half build out as a marina. They had an RV park and a campground as well. I looked at ActiveCaptain and Google Earth and the lagoon doesn't leap out at me. Any ideas?

That sounds sort of like Windmill Point. There is a struggling development right at the point there that comes close to that description, though I think the plan is a waterfront community rather than RV park. Just a tad too remote to catch traction apparently.

Anyway if it were me making this trip, I would avoid going up the Potomac if at all possible. If I was going to stop, I'd make a call when I was off Pax River and either head to Solomon's or push for the Great Wicomico. If I made the Wicomico, rather than head towards Reedville, I would plan to anchor behind Sandy Point. Its among the most beautiful anchorages I've ever seen on the Bay and is pretty easy to navigate if you had to do in fading light. Plenty of room with good depth right up close to the shoreline, though you will almost certainly not have a crowd of boats to contend with.

I've done Herrington to Deltaville with a pre-dawn departure and dinner time arrival, but had perfect "fair winds and following seas". The overnight option is a better bet for non-stop, especially having to go all the way up to Norris Bridge.

Either way, it can be a fun adventure.

Good Luck.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #29 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
That sounds sort of like Windmill Point. There is a struggling development right at the point there that comes close to that description, though I think the plan is a waterfront community rather than RV park. Just a tad too remote to catch traction apparently.

Anyway if it were me making this trip, I would avoid going up the Potomac if at all possible. .
It does sound like Windmill Point. Although, on the Yeocomico, there's Port Kinsale that used to have RV and camp grounds but not sure about man made lagoon.

While I like Smith Creek, going up the Potomac will add a couple hours to the trip. The time spent to get there, you can make it to Smith Point on the VA side and duck into the Little Wicomico if needed.
post #30 of 53 Old 04-20-2017

Solomans Is (Mill Cr.) Is my usual halfway to the Rappahannock, from the Annapolis area.
For a 31 ft. boat, you'd be 'pushing it' to make the L. Wicomico in one day.
However, if you're in a good NW'er and the tides are 'with you', then Smith Cr. on the North Shore of the Potomac ... just up the river from Pt. Lookout is an optimistic one (long) day under 'supreme' reaching conditions.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in