Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

Every captain on the Chesapeake knows the usual spots like behind Hart Miller Island where boaters congregate to break out the barbecue grill and take a dip in the water on sunny weekends during the summer. But almost every captain also knows a few local anchorages where they can drop anchor or just raft up with a few friends when they want to avoid the crowds too. (THOSE are what I'm looking for).

I'm attempting to create a comprehensive Google Map of shallow "sandy", (not mud, muck, or rocky), anchorages around the bay. The kind of place where you can anchor and everyone on board can jump off and stand barefoot in chest deep water (4'-5') on a sandy bottom with a sandy walk up shoreline.

What I'm looking for are either lat long coords or very specific location descriptions that you have a first hand knowledge of, along with a short sentence or two describing the best way to anchor there, how crowded it gets (or doesn't get) during the summer months, and any unique characteristics of the location.

The current map can be found here and will remain publicly available as it grows:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...2330000002&z=7

Last edited by NaptownLarry; 05-25-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added map URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 05-24-2017
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Re: Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

There is always danger in the waters like jelly fish or other things that hurt , not sure there is a safe place

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #3 of 62 Old 05-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownLarry View Post
But almost every captain also knows a few local anchorages where they can drop anchor or just raft up with a few friends when they want to avoid the crowds too. (THOSE are what I'm looking for).

I'm attempting to create a comprehensive Google Map of shallow "sandy", (not mud, muck, or rocky), anchorages around the bay. The kind of place where you can anchor and everyone on board can jump off and stand barefoot in chest deep water (4'-5') on a sandy bottom with a sandy walk up shoreline.

The current map can be found here and will remain publicly available as it grows:
Probably best to know locations on where Not to go on major holidays..'cause publicly announcing locations to avoid crowds wouldn't be prudent and counter productive..just my 2 and1/2 of unworthy opinion..
Towguy likes this.

post #4 of 62 Old 05-24-2017

Because of heavy agricultural and industrial runoff, there are very few places in the entire Chesapeake where those conditions exist. There are a few locations in the lower bay near the mouths of creeks where the currents wash away the mud, but they are usually not sheltered. In some instances, you can anchor behind a peninsula over a muddy bottom, then walk across the peninsula to a sandy beach and enjoy the swimming, but the nettles will get ya!

Good luck,

Gary
post #5 of 62 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

A "Where not to anchor" list... lol But seriously, wouldn't you like to have a few more anchorage options in your back pocket for those days when you cruise up to your favorite spot and it has a crowd?
post #6 of 62 Old 05-24-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Why not just use any of the crowd sourced anchorage information already available? Descriptions usually provide tips on when the anchorage is crowded.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #7 of 62 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
Why not just use any of the crowd sourced anchorage information already available? Descriptions usually provide tips on when the anchorage is crowded.
The "crowd sourced" websites for anchorage locations tend to lump all anchorages together, muddy as well as sandy, deep water as well as shallow. An anchorage by most people's definition would be anyplace protected that's deep enough drop anchor. What I'm trying to put together here is something that's a little more "specific". E.g. Sandy bottom, shallow enough to stand on, walk up to a sandy shore if possible.

But it's growing by leaps and bounds just from suggestions I've gotten today!

Again, I'll post the map as soon as sailnet stops blocking my ability to post the url. But if you want it now just PM me.
post #8 of 62 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Because of heavy agricultural and industrial runoff, there are very few places in the entire Chesapeake where those conditions exist. There are a few locations in the lower bay near the mouths of creeks where the currents wash away the mud, but they are usually not sheltered. In some instances, you can anchor behind a peninsula over a muddy bottom, then walk across the peninsula to a sandy beach and enjoy the swimming, but the nettles will get ya!

Good luck,

Gary
You might be surprised... I've already listed quite a few in the upper and middle bay areas. But you're right in that the northern spots with sandy bottom anchorages tend to be smaller and the lower bay region has much larger beaches/sandbars. "New Point Comfort" is just one example of a southern bay spot that's on the map already.
post #9 of 62 Old 05-24-2017

Remember the words of Yogi Berra - "Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded".

Here's hoping the raft up crowd with the giant stereo speakers who's goal is to live the "Redneck Yacht Club" video on a weekly basis don't use google maps.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #10 of 62 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Cool Re: Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

Kinda the whole point... If someone obnoxious drops anchor beside you, this map will hopefully give you some other options that you may not be aware of.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in