SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Indian Creek and Kilmarnock (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/286617-indian-creek-kilmarnock.html)

chef2sail 06-04-2017 07:52 PM

Indian Creek and Kilmarnock

We are heading on a 10-12 day trip down the Chessie in a few weeks. Port Charles, Fishing Creek- Pianatank , Yorktown are penciled in stops .

Looking for a few hidden gems also. How about Indian Creek and Kilmarnock. Anyone been? Recommendations?

Gladrags1 06-04-2017 09:52 PM

Re: Indian Creek and Kilmarnock

Indian Creek is lovely, highly rated! While I haven't done it, I would think Kilmarnock is a nice place to stop and walk around. What is really special is the Rappahannock Oyster Tasting Room at at Merrior. That was fabulous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gstraub 06-05-2017 08:11 AM

It's a long hike from the marina to the town of Kilmarnock, but as I recall they have bikes to lend.

Gerhard

chuck53 06-05-2017 08:43 AM

I'd rather go a little further up the Rappahannock and pull into Urbanna. It's a smaller town than Kilmarnock but your boat is right there, either at the town dock or anchored in the harbor.

chef2sail 06-05-2017 07:14 PM

Our last trip down we went to Urbana. Nice place and a one light town
Ate at "Something Different" the last Neanderthal restaurant. ( we saved a coaster from it that said that
Actually we were maroon for 4 days there as a tropical storm kept us in place. Over the winter the marina we stayed in had a terrific fire
Liked. Urbana and the homemade ice cream from Something Different
Good recommendation..looking for something new for us.

CLOSECALL 06-06-2017 12:17 PM

Indian Creek is ok but for really great anchorages I would recommend the Corrotoman River up the Rappahannock. Great swimming and clean water. As of last week, still no jellies.

kd3pc 06-06-2017 01:41 PM

Reedville is nice and has generally, better dinner options. Nice museum and a good ice cream shop.. There is the fishy smell to offset the otherwise great location, but a good place to visit, none-the-less.

chuck53 06-06-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd3pc (Post 3948017)
Reedville is nice and has generally, better dinner options. Nice museum and a good ice cream shop.. There is the fishy smell to offset the otherwise great location, but a good place to visit, none-the-less.

I like Reedville a lot and don't have any problems with any fish smell.
FWIW, the Morris Haynie house next door to the ice cream shop, used to be my grandparents home, from the mid 30's to mid 50's.

gstraub 06-07-2017 06:38 AM

Yes, Reedville. Good restaurants, ice cream at Chitterchats, and the Reedville Fishermen's Museum with our skipjack and buyboat as well as the exhibits! Great small American town.

Gerhard
Captain, Claud W. Somers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

chuck53 06-07-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstraub (Post 3949129)
Yes, Reedville. Good restaurants, ice cream at Chitterchats, and the Reedville Fishermen's Museum with our skipjack and buyboat as well as the exhibits! Great small American town.

Tommy's is a nice restaurant, but we usually eat at the Crazy Crab. Been a while but we have eaten over at Fairport a few times as well. More that a few ice cones at Chitterchats. The museum is small but worth a look. My granddad is listed there as a captain with the Menhaden fleet.