I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge MD - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 77 Old 07-30-2017 Thread Starter

Re: I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Swing the boom out, tie two buckets of water to the end so you heel over some.....and pray..🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
You go first
oldlaxer1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 Old 07-31-2017

Re: I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge

Not to hijack, but for all you experts...here's a question.

Yea, I know, as an over educated mariner, MHW. OK, but where do they measure. If the bridge has some bend in it, it is lower near the pilings than the middle, are they measuring the middle highest point or the lowest point. I go under a 60' bridge at the beginning and end of the season with a 57' 7" mast. So far I've made it. Yes, I target the highest (middle) part of the bridge. Do I have to?
SailingUphill and zeehag like this.
post #13 of 77 Old 07-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post

Yea, I know, as an over educated mariner, MHW. OK, but where do they measure. If the bridge has some bend in it, it is lower near the pilings than the middle, are they measuring the middle highest point or the lowest point. I go under a 60' bridge at the beginning and end of the season with a 57' 7" mast. So far I've made it. Yes, I target the highest (middle) part of the bridge. Do I have to?
As in most things sailing.

It depends:

https://www.soundingsonline.com/news...hts-on-the-icw

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

post #14 of 77 Old 07-31-2017

Quote:

The problem is that in some states, and to avoid unnecessary litigation losses, they measure at mid-channel / at the highest altitude of the (bowed) span .... AND THEN measure down to the bottom of any equipment or 'marker lights' dangling from that span. ... thats why most of the 65ft. bridges along the AICW in Florida are marked on the 'fender mounted' depth/height gages ... are routinely indicate MUCH less than 65 ft. !!!!! Reason: "lawyers"
zeehag likes this.
post #15 of 77 Old 07-31-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
If I remember correctly, the true bridge height over the Choptank at Cambridge is 'weird'.

Best would be to call the dock master at Cambridge City Marina (adjacent to this bridge) and speak to the dock master directly to ask for his 'advice'; and, not ask for 'official' information:
Cambridge Dockmaster Office (410) 228-4031
Well, for the record, here is what he said: The height is 50' (at dead center) but at mean lower low water!! I asked whether charts don't usually give bridge clearance at mean high water and he said he does not know about that but he believes for this bridge the listed clearance is at mean lower low

He said there are also lights etc dangling from the bridge and advised not to attempt the bridge with anything above 45'.

I may have to reconsider the trip.

Or I may take a car trip and dangle a lead line from the bridge to the water??
zeehag likes this.
post #16 of 77 Old 08-01-2017
Sailor

When is your trip?? I will be at the boat (Cambridge city marina) and can check for a draft gauge this Thursday evening.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_W For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (08-01-2017)
post #17 of 77 Old 08-01-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
When is your trip?? I will be at the boat (Cambridge city marina) and can check for a draft gauge this Thursday evening.
That would be wonderful! My trip is in September so plenty of time.
post #18 of 77 Old 08-01-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:

For some bridges, it says so on the chart. E.g. for the Kent Narrows fixed bridge, it says

"FIXED BRIDGE HOR CL 182FT VERT CL 65FT (FOR MID 75FT)"

Meaning you have 65ft for the middle 75ft of the span.

I don't know how NOAA determines whether to specify this or not. There is nothing like that for the Choptank bridge although I have been told that it is 'half-moon shaped'. My assumption is that the listed height (49.9') is for dead center only.
post #19 of 77 Old 08-01-2017

Since moving my boat to the Eastern Shore / Kent Island I have been using the Eastern Channel under the Bay Bridge and I swear I looked at the vertical clearance the first time I did it??? This past Friday transiting under the same channel it seemed lower than normal for some reason so I checked the chart again and it said 58 ft! I'm 53 feet plus antenna... I can't say I wasn't a little nervous for a few moments.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 77 Old 08-04-2017
Sailor

I took a ride under the bridge this morning and it does not have a gauge

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in