I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge MD - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 07-30-2017 Thread Starter

I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge MD

I have a plan to sail to the River Marsh Marina in Cambridge MD, on the Choptank River. This is behind the US-50 bridge which in the chart is labeled as "Fixed bridge Vert. CL 50ft." So, I measured my mast and came up with 49'3" to the tip of the antenna. I went back and measured again and came up with the same number. Let's assume I did not screw up the measurement.

So, I should be able to just fit under there. But when I contacted the marina, they told me that the 50' is at low water. I told them that I thought the bridge heights on nautical charts are at Mean High Water but he said that "Here we go off mean low to be safe but I'm sure it's at average tide."

So we have a conflict between local knowledge (this guy is as local as it gets) and official information (like https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...nc_bridge.html). Does anyone know for sure?

Also: Does anyone know whether there is one of these water level scales that give the bridge height over the water for the actual water level?

Information much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 07-30-2017
Sailor

Re: I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge

Active Captains say 50' at high water. If you are worried about it you can get a slip at Cambridge city basin Just west of the bridge or there is a free bulkhead just inside Cambridge creek. I have been under it several times but i am only 36' You maybe able to call towboat they may have a better info.
post #3 of 77 Old 07-30-2017

post #4 of 77 Old 07-30-2017

Re: I need the exact height of the US-50 bridge over the Choptank River in Cambridge

Vertical bridge clearances on charts are referenced to Mean High Water in tidal areas. Therefore if the existing height of tide is below MHW, there will be greater clearance. If the existing height of tide is greater than MHW, there will be less clearance. The USCG provides bridge clearance information to NOAA. From: https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...nc_bridge.html
post #5 of 77 Old 07-30-2017

If I remember correctly, the true bridge height over the Choptank at Cambridge is 'weird'.

Best would be to call the dock master at Cambridge City Marina (adjacent to this bridge) and speak to the dock master directly to ask for his 'advice'; and, not ask for 'official' information:
Cambridge Dockmaster Office (410) 228-4031
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (07-30-2017)
post #6 of 77 Old 07-30-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Swing the boom out, tie two buckets of water to the end so you heel over some.....and pray..🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 77 Old 07-30-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
Active Captains say 50' at high water. If you are worried about it you can get a slip at Cambridge city basin Just west of the bridge or there is a free bulkhead just inside Cambridge creek. I have been under it several times but i am only 36' You maybe able to call towboat they may have a better info.
Yeah, I thought of that. Thing is that I am meeting with people who are staying at the hotel that belongs to the marina (probably more vice-versa). And staying in the marina will give me guest privileges in the hotel (showers etc) so it would be really nice to be able to just stay in the hotel/marina, rather than having the boat somewhere else, needing to sneak in somewhere for showering etc.
post #8 of 77 Old 07-30-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Yes, that's a classic.

But: NO!
post #9 of 77 Old 07-30-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps23435 View Post
Vertical bridge clearances on charts are referenced to Mean High Water in tidal areas. Therefore if the existing height of tide is below MHW, there will be greater clearance. If the existing height of tide is greater than MHW, there will be less clearance. The USCG provides bridge clearance information to NOAA. From: https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...nc_bridge.html
Yes, I know. That is the link from my original post.
post #10 of 77 Old 07-30-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
My favorite Boat video
StarwindMango likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in