New Main Sail - Annapolis area - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter
thinking of this...

New Main Sail - Annapolis area

I am looking to finally replace my VERY old and tired main. I will likely change to loose footed. I'm not a racer and don't need high tech fabric. I've read here on some recommendations for sail lofts in the Annapolis area but wonder if anyone has recent updates for recommendations. I'd like to hire locally and not do mail order for various reasons. I keep my boat (1986 Pearson 28-2) in Edgewater, MD. Here are my two questions:
1. Who do you recommend for sails?
2. Is it really worth trying to buy at the boat show in October, will it save money or is it a hassle?
Thanks in advance, -Jim

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-04-2017

Re: New Main Sail - Annapolis area

I think it is very wise to go local loft - I learned this the hard way recently myself.

You might want to PM JeffH - he is in your area and knows the local lofts.
JSL3 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-04-2017

I found the boat show to be a very easy way to meet the players. Yes, if you are insecure, it is good to have someone do the measuring for you.

I was happy with Mack for my main, but I like Quantum and Doyle also. All you need is a local rep.

Sail Delmarva: New Main--Mack Sails

Also consider whether you want to use existing tack hardware or convert to a clew strap. In this photo I simply lashed it with a sail tie, which worked fine, but later I made a proper strap. The sailmaker can supply a Velcro strap. I like it better than a slug, since it is easier to adjust under load.
RichH, JSL3 and seabeau like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #4 of 16 Old 08-04-2017

I always have asked the lofts to give me a quote in the beginning of the season when there are no discounts and then ask again at the end of the season when the lofts are offering big discounts. that way I know if they say 25% off, I know I am really getting 25% off.
JSL3 and seabeau like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 16 Old 08-04-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL3 View Post
I am looking to finally replace my VERY old and tired main. I will likely change to loose footed. I'm not a racer and don't need high tech fabric. I've read here on some recommendations for sail lofts in the Annapolis area but wonder if anyone has recent updates for recommendations. I'd like to hire locally and not do mail order for various reasons. I keep my boat (1986 Pearson 28-2) in Edgewater, MD. Here are my two questions:
1. Who do you recommend for sails?
2. Is it really worth trying to buy at the boat show in October, will it save money or is it a hassle?
Thanks in advance, -Jim
I bought a full batten main from Quantum in Eastport 3 years ago. Tremendous workmanship, made in South Africa but they came and measured, brought it and fitted it, came back in a year to look at it and stayed in touch. Superior customer service. They aren't the cheapest but no where most expensive. My experience think if you speak with almost anyone who has used them they would recommend them highly

First loose footer for me. They had to convince me and it is a superior sail. We have a high modulus Dacron weight of 9.3. Best batten pockets I've seen on a sail. We also put a strong track system on to make the main go up like butter. It also falls like that too. Triple stitched. Clews well reenforced.

Yes you can a discount at the show , but they may forward it to you now.
JSL3 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 16 Old 08-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I found the boat show to be a very easy way to meet the players. Yes, if you are insecure, it is good to have someone do the measuring for you.

I was happy with Mack for my main, but I like Quantum and Doyle also. All you need is a local rep.

Sail Delmarva: New Main--Mack Sails

Also consider whether you want to use existing tack hardware or convert to a clew strap. In this photo I simply lashed it with a sail tie, which worked fine, but later I made a proper strap. The sailmaker can supply a Velcro strap. I like it better than a slug, since it is easier to adjust under load.
Great looking sail. Love the roach, the battens but especially the triple set of reef points.
JSL3 likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-05-2017

most sail makers should have the IJEP for most production boats and can give you a quote with various specs... battens, cloth, slugs, etc. without having to measure YOUR boat... They can also advise you on the best options for YOUR type of sailing.

Good to use a local guy who will likely deliver it and or "service" it for various reasons....
JSL3 likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-05-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I bought a full batten main from Quantum in Eastport 3 years ago. Tremendous workmanship, made in South Africa but they came and measured, brought it and fitted it, came back in a year to look at it and stayed in touch. Superior customer service. They aren't the cheapest but no where most expensive. My experience think if you speak with almost anyone who has used them they would recommend them highly

First loose footer for me. They had to convince me and it is a superior sail. We have a high modulus Dacron weight of 9.3. Best batten pockets I've seen on a sail. We also put a strong track system on to make the main go up like butter. It also falls like that too. Triple stitched. Clews well reenforced.

Yes you can a discount at the show , but they may forward it to you now.
I second this, Q made my last two sails and I have no complaints, they are outsourced and my Main came with the wrong sail number (I sent a picture that was upside down) go figure, but they made it right no questions. I will ALWAYS buy my Sails on Thanksgiving holiday season when all the lofts discount deeply, these guys are dying this time of the year. Going with a local guy gets someone on the Boat if you have something you cant figure out.
JSL3 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
....... They can also advise you on the best options for YOUR type of sailing.
Excellent point by SanderO !!!!!

No matter where you are along in your sailing goals and aspirations, sitting down and actually speaking to the sailmaker about your goals, your gained expertise so far including your present fears and trepidations, etc, that sailmaker can easily 'tweak' (usually at no extra coast!!!) your new sail to meet your expectations, and set up that 'tweak' so that when you arrive at your 'next' goal, the sail can later on be 'adjusted at little cost' to be suitable for your next goal.

For example, if one personally limits his/her sailing in only 'mild' conditions because the sailor or member of his/her crew becomes 'very uncomfortable' when the boat heels over when 'white caps' on the water begin to develop, that sailmaker easily can make 'minor adjustments' in the design program that laser cuts that sail to reduce such heeling, and yet later on when the sailor becomes more comfortable, the local loft can perform simple adjustments to restore the sail back to a more 'normal' design. OR, that sailmaker can give you explicit directions of how to raise and 'set' the tensions to get those shape adjustments to meet your current goals and needs based on the design parameters set by that sailmaker.

With a local loft, you should in some detail as best you can describe in some detail your sailing 'preferences' and goals:
• what sailing conditions you prefer -- tell that sailmaker at what wind strength do you 'go out' and at what wind strength do you usually return to the dock, etc. How much do your sail in 'ultra-light' wind conditions.
• what conditions of wind strength, etc. you would like to progress to for your 'next goal', as best as possible.;
• whats the characteristics of your boat as you now perceive them (a P28-2 generally 'likes' to initially easily heal over then stabilize or 'harden-up' at about 15+° over, etc.),
• At what amount of wind speed do you usually put in your 'first reef'
• as best as able what kind of helmsman are you .... anywhere from being 'constantly and accurately' following the wind or tell tales, or simply 'duffing around' and simply just enjoying yourself on the water and with no need to go long distances in the least amount of time - will help define the amount in-built 'forgiveness' included in the sail design.
• exactly where on the Ches will you be sailing .... the sailmaker should know most of the local venues and their wind 'anomalies' .... i.e.. local 'wind turbulence' and amount of wave height typical in these venues, etc.
• Whats your normal 'sailing load' ... boat full of weight from 'personal effects and stores'?, 6-7 450 lb. persons normally in the cockpit? 2 normal sized persons and two small kids? tell the sailmaker how much extra weight this boat will normally be carrying around ... how deep into the water below or above its normal waterline is this boat when sailing - affects sail design in the upper sections of the sails.

In other words, at no additional cost you get a sail designed for YOU and YOUR preferences ... in comparison to a stock off the shelf sail ...... and all at no extra charge by that local sail loft!!!!
Definitely if there is a problem with a new sail from a local loft, you won't have to be direct-calling SriLanka, Indonesia etc. to affect any corrections or remedies.
Local sailmakers usually have an uncanny ability to match or tweak the sail design to the customer's needs and perceptions that they're actually talking to.

With a local sailmaker, the timing of when you order your sail 'may' affect the price and delivery time, as local lofts are usually EXTREMELY busy in late winter through late spring and again in October through Nov. .... to serve the needs of their repetitive customers - the racing fleets on the Ches. So ask the local loft when will be the best time to order and delivery for the 'best' offered price, etc.

hope this helps
JSL3, SanderO and chef2sail like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-05-2017

It is worth talking to Gary at Bacons. They made (or had made) my RF genoa and I was very happy with the customer service, quality, and boat show price.
JSL3 likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in