467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1001 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018
bell ringer

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Are you bringing bad weather again 😀😀😀🙀🙀🙀🌪🌪🌪🦀🦀🦀

I'm been taking notes and I'm going to rain down on all who have sniped at me.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Looking around.......never saw anyone sniping at you.......🙀🙀🙀🤺🤺🤺🤺🤺🎧🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

We in the Chessie are a friendly sort.....unless of course you choose to criticise the grounds we choose to cruise in

Hope you stay this time gets you better weather than when you passed through going north. For many it's been an unusually lousy wet year. We don't mind the rain, but this year we are many inches above our normal allotment.

Our favorite cruising time here is fall. We have a 10 day vacation coming up in Mid October.....apple season and beautiful leaf colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1003 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018 Thread Starter

[

QUOTE=TakeFive;2051554202]Now I'm confused. You said not too much debris yesterday, and now lots of logs. What is the current state? I'm trying to decide where to head on Saturday, and will be cutting it close on getting in before dark, so logs are a show stopper. I know there are never guarantees, but I'm looking for any local info I can.[/QUOTE]

Rick remenber his marina is virtually on the Susquehanna a couple miles from the dam. I wouldnt head north of Rock Hall .just in case Gary rolled a couple of logs downstream at us😀😀😀🌪🌪🌪😈😈😈😈

Last weekend we passed you and also sailed all around the Severn and never saw anything except a little bit of coffee colored water above the Bay Bridge. Below it was beautiful as was the Chester.

I doubt you see anything.

Tis the season the cruisers from the north are passing through also. Starts usually Labor Day....peaks during the boat show...lots of Canadian flags in the anchorages. Hopefully they have a great time here.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1004 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018
bell ringer

You guys are whinning no too much about this debris thing. When went up the Potomac in June it was about where in the log jam to drive though on every curve.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #1005 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018

Fat Thumbs or Drunk Post lol

Shawn

post #1006 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018

There are loads of huge logs jammed up in the shallows of the Susquehanna Flats, some 3 to 4 feet in diameter. They will stay there until the next unusually high tide hits, at which time they will float off the muddy bottom and take up residence in the upper bay. These logs often end up washed up on the beaches, and many can be seen on the shores of Pooles Island, the bay side of the Hart/Miller Island complex, and other locations. Some stay there until winter, while others are lifted off by passing storms. These things can be a bit scary, at least to me because I enjoy sailing at night. And because they are water logged, they tend to be just an inch or two beneath the surface, making them invisible to my 3G radar. Fortunately, I have only glanced off most of those that I encountered over the years.

All the best,

Gary
post #1007 of 1159 Old 09-21-2018

Dock

Had a lovely sail on Curtis Bay Wednesday, just a day sail, late afternoon into sunset. Singlehanded, from Ft McHenry to the Key buoy. One of those perfect afternoons: a little beam reach breeze to get down there, a gentle tack back. One of those afternoons that remind you why you love sailing.
oysterman23 likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #1008 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
Had a lovely sail on Curtis Bay Wednesday, just a day sail, late afternoon into sunset. Singlehanded, from Ft McHenry to the Key buoy. One of those perfect afternoons: a little beam reach breeze to get down there, a gentle tack back. One of those afternoons that remind you why you love sailing.
Jim,

Did you peek under the beltway 695 bridge and see the Coast Guards tall ship Eagle at the GG yard.
I can email over the Key Bridge around 2:30 an saw the Pride of Baltimore sailing in front of the shipping terminals too.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1009 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Jim,

Did you peek under the beltway 695 bridge and see the Coast Guards tall ship Eagle at the GG yard.
I can email over the Key Bridge around 2:30 an saw the Pride of Baltimore sailing in front of the shipping terminals too.
When I was out sailing last month by Thomas Point light, Eagle came motoring through on its way to Baltimore.

Took pics with my cell phone but they were pretty blurry.
post #1010 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018

Marina slipholders' party (free crabs!!!) starts today "around 3 or 4". I struggled with whether to do a daysail before or head to an anchorage after. Everything is about 3 hours away, so can't make an anchorage afterwards with daylight. So we were going to head down early this morning and sail before. It took longer getting the dog packed up to go (he needs to come since our daughter is out of town), and then had to make a couple stops on the way down. We didn't get here until about 11:30.

Also my wife is tired and achy from a hard week at work, and was in a crabby mood in the car. Halfway here after one of our stops I suggested that I drive so she could take a nap. "No, I know I won't be able to sleep." I insisted, and she was out cold 10 minutes later.

We got here and she was still sore and tired, so I made the call that we would not go sailing today, we're just going to hang out on the boat. I opened the dodger panel and all the hatches. The northerly wind is blowing perfectly though the boat. The town is quiet, since live music season is pretty much over at Waterman's and Harbor Shack. The wife is up in the V-berth sound asleep again, the dog's asleep at my feet, and I am relaxing in the cockpit reading Woodward's new book.

Why is this noteworthy? I just realized that this is the FIRST TIME we've ever just relaxed in the marina. We're always in a hurry to head out to the bay, or head home after getting back, or I have a long list of stuff that needs to get done. I came here with nothing on the list, and have some unexpected time while waiting for the party to start, and I'm just relaxing, which is what this should all be about anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
Dog boat asleep.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-22-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in