2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 102 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1011 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Phenomenal sailing day, one of the best of the year. Love it when you can crack 8+ out of this old gal without worrying about breaking anything. Blew down to Bloody Point on a broad reach in 15-18 knots. Tacking now up Eastern Bay in the high 7s with the centerboard down. Looks like 3 tacks and we'll be on the Miles on a beam reach. Should be near St Micheals in less than 4 hours. (25 miles as crow flies)

Not sure if we are anchoring there ( if there's no crowd) or continuing on to Hunting Creek. I'll need a nap with all this excitement😀😀😀😀🌪🌪🌪🤘🤘🤘

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1012 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018

Would have been fun to see this past through...
https://www.drakenhh.com/cape-charles

s/v Miracle
post #1013 of 1159 Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter

Anchored off of St Micheals after the sail of the season for us. Great temp today . Dinner was jumbo lump crab cakes off the grill, salsa of watermelon, mango and fresh Eastern shore corn, fresh tomato salad. Dessert .. chocolate ganache doughnuts made yesterday by my wife Donna.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1014 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I'm loving reading everyone's sailing posts!

My wife and I were going to go sailing Sat-Mon and explore the Magothy. That sounds all well and good, until rain and cool weather combines with no dodger or bimini.

So we're pushing our sailing days to potentially Thursday-Saturday later this week. We'll see what the weather does and plan around that. I don't want to be a fair weather sailor, but I also don't want to be a cold wet mess.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #1015 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

Ok it's raining again.....is that perfect weather for sailing....depends on your definition. If you need perfect days for sailing you'll be constantly complaining about the weather and be on here complaining about a terrible sailing season , especially this year. We are underway , SAILING in the rain back from St Micheals and no one is out here on Eastern Bay. On a broad reach humming along at 6 Knott's, high and dry.

I'm not making fun of , sitting in judgement of, nor denigrating others choices here so don't go there. This is also not in response to Rezzs post.

I have friends with sailboats in other areas of the country where it rains 200 days a year. They still go out. I have lots of friends here on the Chessie who buy expensive foul rather gear, who very rarely use them. I don't understand . Many spend lots of money on their boats, yet when it rains....they sit. Many still work, so their Sailing days are already limited to weekends, yet when it rain , they don't go out. I like to be comfortable too so we take time to outfit ourselves and Haleakula for those less than perfect rainy days.

Over the years we've bought quality foulies and boots. Over the years we've added canvas protection overhead as well as even side screens to enclose us. On a day like today we have chili, hot chocolate etc.

Yes we are out sailing today. It's not a maelstom out here, it just raining. We are high and dry enjoying our day on the water. Foul weather gear is out , but we won't need it till we dock, though I needed it when we weighed anchor this morning. Visibility is not bad are 3 miles. It's also a good day to practice our radar skills. Having a boat in a slip or in general is an expensive proposition. Why not prepare yourself to go out in rain or is it just better to complaining about the imperfections of weather.
Rezz likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1016 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018

Not even a light breeze blowing here, not a leaving on the trees moving, just raining, chilly and a good day to put my arse in the recliner and watch the Ravens play football.

Gary
oldlaxer1 likes this.
post #1017 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter

That's the difference between the Susqehanna area and below the Bay Bridge. On the final leg back to the marina. Raining lightly. Winds 12-15 NNE. Furled 135 making 6+ knots. Diver wipe Haleakulas bottom this week and it definately made a difference.

Be back in time to watch the second half of the WORLD CHAMPION EAGLES..........can you say 🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅EAGLES🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1018 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018
bell ringer

Only us tough sailors were out today :-)
chef2sail and travlin-easy like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #1019 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ok it's raining again.....is that perfect weather for sailing....depends on your definition. If you need perfect days for sailing you'll be constantly complaining about the weather and be on here complaining about a terrible sailing season , especially this year. We are underway , SAILING in the rain back from St Micheals and no one is out here on Eastern Bay. On a broad reach humming along at 6 Knott's, high and dry.

I'm not making fun of , sitting in judgement of, nor denigrating others choices here so don't go there. This is also not in response to Rezzs post.

I have friends with sailboats in other areas of the country where it rains 200 days a year. They still go out. I have lots of friends here on the Chessie who buy expensive foul rather gear, who very rarely use them. I don't understand . Many spend lots of money on their boats, yet when it rains....they sit. Many still work, so their Sailing days are already limited to weekends, yet when it rain , they don't go out. I like to be comfortable too so we take time to outfit ourselves and Haleakula for those less than perfect rainy days.

Over the years we've bought quality foulies and boots. Over the years we've added canvas protection overhead as well as even side screens to enclose us. On a day like today we have chili, hot chocolate etc.

Yes we are out sailing today. It's not a maelstom out here, it just raining. We are high and dry enjoying our day on the water. Foul weather gear is out , but we won't need it till we dock, though I needed it when we weighed anchor this morning. Visibility is not bad are 3 miles. It's also a good day to practice our radar skills. Having a boat in a slip or in general is an expensive proposition. Why not prepare yourself to go out in rain or is it just better to complaining about the imperfections of weather.
I'll admit, I'm one of those who tend not to sail if the weather is too rainy/not enough wind/etc. But one of the nice things about being retired is that I can be picky and still get out quite a bit - yesterday was my 42nd sail of the season. My guess is that if this was a more typical weather year I'd have over 60 times out sailing by now.
chef2sail likes this.
post #1020 of 1159 Old 09-23-2018

Ain't retirement great! I have the same options, but because of my nasty lung problem, I have to be real careful when the temperature and humidity levels are high along with heavy air pollution, which often occurs during mid summer.

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
chef2sail and oysterman23 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in