2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 103 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1021 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018

Just so folks know, there are sailors on the southern bay. We sailed from the Corrotoman down the Rappahanock to the Piankatank and back Saturday and Sunday.

As conditions were ideal. Sunday's were challenging. It's always fun to hit 8 knots in a 50 year old boat, even if it's just surfing down a wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

It's 11 a.m., blowing like stink, raining hard and just 65 degrees - conditions more like late October than mid September. Old man winter is rearing it's ugly head a bit earlier than normal this year, at least from my perspective. I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter.

All the best,

Gary
post #1023 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
It's 11 a.m., blowing like stink, raining hard and just 65 degrees - conditions more like late October than mid September. Old man winter is rearing it's ugly head a bit earlier than normal this year, at least from my perspective. I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter.

All the best,

Gary
So, 10 months of winter

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1024 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018

Yeah, pretty much, Don. That's why I loved sailing the lower Florida Keys so much. It was summer year round, but not nearly as hot and humid as summers here in Maryland. The temperature was always 10 to 15 degrees cooler in Big Pine and Key West during August than it was here, and ironically, the locals would complain about how high the humidity was when it hit 40 percent.

Some folks claim the Chesapeake Bay is the sailing capitol of the world, but not IMO. I've traveled much of the world, and there are lots more places that provide far more sailing opportunities than the Chesapeake. Plus, most of those places had clear, blue water, outstanding year-round weather, excellent fishing and snorkeling and the cost to live aboard in those locations was no higher than it is right here - maybe less.

Good luck on your return voyage to the sunny south, Don and be safe.

All the best,

Gary
post #1025 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much, Don. That's why I loved sailing the lower Florida Keys so much. It was summer year round, but not nearly as hot and humid as summers here in Maryland. The temperature was always 10 to 15 degrees cooler in Big Pine and Key West during August than it was here, and ironically, the locals would complain about how high the humidity was when it hit 40 percent.

Some folks claim the Chesapeake Bay is the sailing capitol of the world, but not IMO. I've traveled much of the world, and there are lots more places that provide far more sailing opportunities than the Chesapeake. Plus, most of those places had clear, blue water, outstanding year-round weather, excellent fishing and snorkeling and the cost to live aboard in those locations was no higher than it is right here - maybe less.

Good luck on your return voyage to the sunny south, Don and be safe.

All the best,

Gary

Gary, not sure who makes that claim about the Chesapeake being the sailing capital of the world. I've never heard that. I do here from people who are proud of the area they keep their boat. I can't imagine who would be foolish enough to start that fight and compare places people like to keep their boats.

But I have to ask you....why don't you just move to the Keys with your wife since it's so much better there for you. If it's that much better for your health why not move there and prolong your life. If you could sail more why not move there. Sometimes you seem bitter about where you live and the fact that it has changed so much in your lifetime. You keep repeating how things were, but it can't go back to that. We are not that far apart in age, do it's not that. You are a nice guy. We've broken bread together a number of times and you are one of my favorite from people on here. You were one of the biggest supportors of bringing people together to meet on here. I'd love to see you happy and post that way looking forward , as you and soon me face our latter years. Move to where you like it. You aren't stuck here.

For me and just for me I could never live in the Keys. I love to visit Key West, Marathon, however I love the seasons too much. I don't want it hot all the time. The hurricane season in Florida Key area is certainly a deterrent. The bugs are the size of airplanes, there are too many old people, there is plenty of humidity there, . Too many transient tourists. Comparitively there is little sailing area except for passage makers. The Chesapeake is friendly to boaters while Florida keeps passing laws to keep them out. The water is beautiful in the Carribean close by though.

I still work as does my wife. For me I moved to this region and had the choice to move anywherere in the world 20 years ago. Many factors went into that decision. In this area the pay scale is double anywhere in Florida for example. The jobs are also more plentiful here. And the demographics of the mid Atlantic meet what I wanted vs a geriatric community. In addition another factor was the Chesapeake offering a 10 month sailing area with more shoreline than the state of Florida I believe ( or close to it) . I love the seasonal sailing. I love being able to anchor anywhere. I came to this area because it allowed me to work, further my career, and also sail a lot on weekend. Maybe once I retire some of the factors will change. Even though I own a condo income poperty in Sanibel I'll never move there permanently.

People choose where to keep their boat considering many factors. No one area should ever be compared againt another except in the mind of the inividual choosing. Each person has their own factors important to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1026 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Just so folks know, there are sailors on the southern bay. We sailed from the Corrotoman down the Rappahanock to the Piankatank and back Saturday and Sunday.

As conditions were ideal. Sunday's were challenging. It's always fun to hit 8 knots in a 50 year old boat, even if it's just surfing down a wave.
Rappohanock and Piankitank are great sailing and gunkholing areas and always seem to have wind when we visit. Proximity to the ocean gives you a great onshore breeze many afternoons. I love getting down in that whole area and the northern neck of Virginia.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1027 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018

Dave, the only reason I didn't move to the keys when I was in my early 30s was I wanted to retain my marital status. Yep, she would have divorced me!

Carol wants to be here with the children and grandson and step granddaughters (3), also her sister lives here as well. Me, I figured we would likely see them more often if we lived in the Keys, particularly during the winter months. Havn't seen her sister since her husband passed away last year, though she talks with her every week on the phone for an hour or so. My daughter comes over once a week, and during the summer months, we provide free baby sitting service for our grandson.

As for there being too many old people - I am one! Most of the old folks I know are and were pretty damned intelligent, not including myself, of course. They managed to get through their lives without too many health issues, most had very successful marriages, saved enough to enjoy a good retirement, and love to have fun and party, even with some of the younger folks like yourself. When I was there I encountered more young people than old codgers such as myself. The vast majority of the food service workers were in their late 20s to mid 30s. Same held true with those working in grocery stores, post office, library, Fisherman's Hospital, the local barber shop, hair salons and city offices. Kinda like it is here, but I think there is more old folks here than in the Florida Keys by a country mile.

Now, if you check the hurricane records, you will find that devastating hurricanes rarely hit the Florida Keys, they they do have them once in a while - just like everyplace else in the nation. The vast majority of hurricanes usually track south of the keys, then make a northward turn and slam into the gulf coast around the Florida Panhandle, Texas and Louisiana. The others usually slam into the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

The bugs in the keys are not nearly as bad as those found on Maryland's lower Eastern Shore. Sure, they have Palmetto Bugs, which resemble a winged cockroach the size of your thumb, but for the most part, they usually only come out just after sundown for about an hour, and they soon go away. Skeeters are not nearly as bad in Marathon as they are in Salisbury, Nanticoke, Point Lookout, Cape Charles, Oyster, etc..., and there are no greenheads in the Keys that I know of.

Humidity? Nope, you gotta have land mass in order to have humidity - damned little land mass in the lower keys. Unfortunately, I just pissed off some of my friends that reside in the keys year round because they keep telling me to keep this a secret so all those damned Yankees don't migrate south and jack up the real estate prices.

Final point, "Chesapeake Bay - sailing capitol of the world", a term that has been used in dozens of magazines dedicated to sailing. And, a term my old friend Angus Phillips frequently used in his Washington Post columns in the sports section many, many times. Angus and I worked together way back when I was a columnist for the Washington Post Weekend Section, a position I held for 16 years as a stringer (free lance writer).

Have a fun day, Dave,

Gary
post #1028 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018
bell ringer

I don’t feel the Chesapeake is the sailing capital as much ch as it’s probably the gunkhole capital.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don L; 09-25-2018 at 07:46 AM.
post #1029 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Dave, the only reason I didn't move to the keys when I was in my early 30s was I wanted to retain my marital status. Yep, she would have divorced me!

Carol wants to be here with the children and grandson and step granddaughters (3), also her sister lives here as well. Me, I figured we would likely see them more often if we lived in the Keys, particularly during the winter months. Havn't seen her sister since her husband passed away last year, though she talks with her every week on the phone for an hour or so. My daughter comes over once a week, and during the summer months, we provide free baby sitting service for our grandson.

As for there being too many old people - I am one! Most of the old folks I know are and were pretty damned intelligent, not including myself, of course. They managed to get through their lives without too many health issues, most had very successful marriages, saved enough to enjoy a good retirement, and love to have fun and party, even with some of the younger folks like yourself. When I was there I encountered more young people than old codgers such as myself. The vast majority of the food service workers were in their late 20s to mid 30s. Same held true with those working in grocery stores, post office, library, Fisherman's Hospital, the local barber shop, hair salons and city offices. Kinda like it is here, but I think there is more old folks here than in the Florida Keys by a country mile.

Now, if you check the hurricane records, you will find that devastating hurricanes rarely hit the Florida Keys, they they do have them once in a while - just like everyplace else in the nation. The vast majority of hurricanes usually track south of the keys, then make a northward turn and slam into the gulf coast around the Florida Panhandle, Texas and Louisiana. The others usually slam into the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

The bugs in the keys are not nearly as bad as those found on Maryland's lower Eastern Shore. Sure, they have Palmetto Bugs, which resemble a winged cockroach the size of your thumb, but for the most part, they usually only come out just after sundown for about an hour, and they soon go away. Skeeters are not nearly as bad in Marathon as they are in Salisbury, Nanticoke, Point Lookout, Cape Charles, Oyster, etc..., and there are no greenheads in the Keys that I know of.

Humidity? Nope, you gotta have land mass in order to have humidity - damned little land mass in the lower keys. Unfortunately, I just pissed off some of my friends that reside in the keys year round because they keep telling me to keep this a secret so all those damned Yankees don't migrate south and jack up the real estate prices.

Final point, "Chesapeake Bay - sailing capitol of the world", a term that has been used in dozens of magazines dedicated to sailing. And, a term my old friend Angus Phillips frequently used in his Washington Post columns in the sports section many, many times. Angus and I worked together way back when I was a columnist for the Washington Post Weekend Section, a position I held for 16 years as a stringer (free lance writer).

Have a fun day, Dave,

Gary

Facts Gary facts,,,,,you can't just make the statements without supporting evidence and your facts are not the real facts

Florida is #1 with the geriatric set at 19'.06 %
Maryland is #42 at 13'76%
Huge difference

Average morning and afternoon SUMMER humidity
Florida 89. .....63
Maryland 84......53
Again a huge difference

Mosquitos per state-bugs...disease carrying bugs...
Florida #1
Maryland #32
Huge difference

The hurricane argument makes no sense. Florida Keys rival NC with damage

Florida Keys Hurricanes since 1935
1935- Great LaborDay Hurricane- wind 200mph ...lowest pressure recorded in Nirth America
1945-75 mph
1947- 150 mph
1948- 122 mph
1948- 160 mph
1950 -Hurricane King and Easy...minimal
1960- Hurricane Donna 155
1965- Hurricane Betsy- 125
1966- Hurricane Alma and hurricane Inez
1987 Floyd minimal
1992-Hurrican Andrew
1998- Hurricane Mitch- 104 Hurricane Georges
1999- Hurricane Urene
2005- Hurricane Wilma
Recently Irma

Maryland
Hazel
Isabella

I realize most of the time you have spent in Florida is non hurricane season and not in the summer and fall when he humidity peaks, the bugs swarm, he Hurricanes andvtropicao storms are frequent , even more with hear misses. It is a state of tourists and elderly. I love the Keys a lot, but it is what it is...the facts are there.

Family keeps you here....as it should...those are strong ties .....your grandkids will have fond mmotives if you. So you have reasons just like me to stay here. Enjoy your time here in the present...it's not so bad.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1030 of 1159 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Like I said I like the Keys. I hope in a couple of years when we are retired we will take the trip a couple of times at least by boat and explore the Bahamas, Abacos, Exumas. I am satisfied to charter in the Islands.

We probably will retire someplace on/ near the Chesapeake. Eastern Shore, Northern neck of Virginia, down to Yorktiwn area. We enjoy the birds that migrate, the moderate spring and fall temperatures, occasionally a snow sighting. And of course the changes in the leaves found in hardwood trees. We get that here,,,,even if we aren't the Capital of the Sailing world . ( I alwayss thought Newport was BTW)

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in