2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 104 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1031 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Dave, those stats you posted refer to mainland Florida - not the keys.

You seem to have overlooked most of the hurricanes that hit Maryland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2%80%93present)

Here's the true list of the ones that hit the Florida Keys - Hurricane List

Now, I have visited the keys many times in the summer, and I was stationed there in the summer while I attended the US Navy Underwater Swimmers School for six months of the summer of 1958. The weather was much milder than it was here.

Average Humidity
Daily Place Morning
74 Key West 79
73 Miami 84
74 Orlando 89
74 Pensacola 85

Note the difference between Key West and Orlando. Those are the facts!

Here's the Florida Keys average temperatures - https://fla-keys.com/weather/

I know the facts, Dave - I also have been there long enough to have a fair degree of first hand information.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1032 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018

The term Sailing Capital usually applies to Annapolis and is play on the fact that Annapolis is Maryland's state capital. I don't think I've ever seen it applied to the Bay as a whole.

Mary Lou
T37Chef likes this.
post #1033 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018
bell ringer

I didn’t see any debis on the water today in the Annapolis area. Way down from the small amount I saw 2 days ago in the upper Chesapeake.
chef2sail likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1034 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018

Today, when I crossed the dam, there was about 20 acres of debris above the dam on the west side. Mostly smaller stuff, no logs larger than about a foot in diameter, a few plastic 55 gallon drums, some beach balls and plastic stuff. No flood gates open at this time, though it has been raining fairly hard upriver and near the dam for the past three days. The tide at the marina was extremely high, over the finger pier at my boat and I had a bit of difficulty boarding, but I managed.

There was a fair amount of smaller debris floating down the Susquehanna near the marina, and the current was fairly strong. This was probably the combined contribution of Deer Creek, Octorario Creek and the turbines running at Conowingo Dam. Both creeks were pretty muddy and high when I crossed the.

Pilings on both sides of the Amtrack Bridge main channel span, which were part of the old car bridge, are in the process of being demolished. I think this work is probably being done by the upriver stone and gravel quarry owners to make barge passage a bit easier. It's a real tight fit when they pass beneath the Amtrack Bridge, but the old pilings made it a bit more difficult to negotiate the opening.

Winter must be getting close because the marina sent out winter storage contracts last week. I usually don't take the boat out of the water until about Thanksgiving, though, and back in by mid April. Of course, the prices increased a bit, but still far lower than the marinas on the other side of the river and down in Essex and Baltimore.

All the best,

Gary
post #1035 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

You can not play fast an loose with the facts = fake news unless of course it's meant as fiction , hyperbole or you designteam as your opinion.

Look my purpose is not to argue with you, you are a friend, an I respect you, but maybe we need a fact checker. Just making grand statements doesn't mean they are true. In fact I have given proof of their validity.

However unchecked false fact statements going unchallenged become someone elses truth unknowingly.
Time to move on.

Looks like a stellar fall weekend see shaping hi p😀😀😀🌴🌴🌴🤘🤘🤘🦅🦅

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1036 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018

I like Gary and consider him a friend. And just like any group of guys hanging out at the bar, we will all have some times of disagreement.

I also think that statements should be backed up with facts. But the more relevant point here is that it's not good style to trash talk your home sailing waters. That's doubly true in the "Destinations - Chesapeake" sub-forum here on Sailnet. It's just asking for trouble.

If anyone wants to discuss how much better the sailing is in Florida vs. the Chesapeake, you may get a better reception over at https://www.sailnet.com/forums/flori...us-east-coast/ .

I just had a quick look over in that sub-forum. They could use your help, Gary - less than 10 posts in the last 3 months. Of course, that in itself may say something about the popularity of sailing activities in the two places. Or maybe it's just that all those octogenarians down there don't know how to use computers.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1037 of 1159 Old 09-25-2018

post #1038 of 1159 Old 09-26-2018

Soooo... Anyway how about a 747 being transported up the bay. Not going to see that everyday.

Shawn

post #1039 of 1159 Old 09-26-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Question is will it fit under the Rote 50 bridge in Cambridge?😁😲😲😲😲
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
oldlaxer1 (09-27-2018)
post #1040 of 1159 Old 09-27-2018
Tartan 27' owner

Annapolis - a drinking town with a sailing problem.

You could jumble that up and it still sounds about right.
And yes, the Capitol dome towers above all, hence: sailing capitol.
The Bay is so shallow you could anchor almost anywhere if you are not already aground. Really more like anchoring capitol or gunkholing capitol as already suggested.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in